cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 25,962

Question

I have an IdeaPad Y500 with SLI, and I deleted Windows 8 which comes preloaded in the Y500.

I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and would like to use my 16 GB SSD (mSata) as cache to my 1 TB HDD. How can I activate it? Do I need special drivers or programs?

Image below shows my SanDisk SSD in device manager.

arthi-device manager.png

I have already read this related topic in the forum, but it doesn't work for me because I don't have the RAID mode in BIOS. Only AHCI or Compatible are available for me.

My machine will not start and get blue screen (BSOD) if Windows 7 is started in Compatible mode.

How do I get the RAID mode for me to use the SSD as a cache to the primary hard disk as mentioned above? 

Answer

Method 1:

When you switch to compatible and you're having BSOD, try this:

Set the BIOS controller to Compatible then right away boot the system to Safemode. It will boot then Restart the system to boot in normal and you won''t get the BSOD anymore.

If it still does not work, try troubleshooting as below:

1. Go to Start button on bottom left of your Windows, type cmd adminA black color Command Prompt window will appear.
  2. Type the "eccmd.exe -info". 
  3. If you get the info as below, proceed to Explanation below.

arthi-cmd.png

Explanation:

The info you got above (troubleshooting step (3) ) shows that your system was pre-configured with Express Cache to do the SSD caching. Your Sandisk SSD has its own software to do the cache, and this does not require RAID setup in BIOS that is needed by the Intel Smart Response Technology.

Note: For more info about SanDisk, please fefer to this link http://www.sandisk.com/products/software/express-cache/

RAID set-up procedure in BIOS is needed only If you want to use Intel Smart Response to do the caching because this technology requires it.

If you want to use the IRST cache I'm afraid you might need to reinstall an OS with RAID already set up in BIOS.

Changing the SATA controller while the OS is not installed in that RAID set up may cause blue screen (BSOD)  wihch is exactly what you're experiencing.

Here is a guide if you want to set up Intel Smart Response for Caching

http://download.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/intel_smart_response_technology_user_guide.pdf

What you can do now:

The caching in your SSD which is using the Express cache is suspected to be not working correctly.

The error "**ERROR** ECCmd Request device is not available" means that ExpressCache is installed, but the mSATA device is not configured correctly. 

You can rectify it by doing as showed below:

First, uninstall ExpressCache from "Programs and Features" in Control Panel. Secondly, proceed with setting in Disk Management (see below for the steps)

1. Open the Start Menu, type DiskMgmt.msc, and press Enter to start Disk Management.
  2. At the bottom of the Disk Management window, identify the mSATA SSD device. The 16GB mSATA SSD is 14.91GB. The 32GB mSATA SSD is 29.82GB.
  3. The mSATA SSD may contain a "Data2" partition with a drive letter such as D: or E:. If so, check for any saved files on the device. If any files exist, move them to the C:\ drive.
  4. Delete the Primary Partition on the mSATA SSD by right clicking on it and choose "Delete Volume..." from the menu that appears. Click "Yes" to confirm the action.
  5. There should now be at least 14GB of unallocated space on the mSATA SSD.
  6. Download ExpressCache from the following link that corresponds to the Windows 7 installation (32bit or 64bit):

Install ExpressCache by double clicking on the setup file downloaded in Step 6 and follow the on-screen instructions. Reboot as prompted.

After the set up, run the eccmd.exe -info again in CMD and It should give you a result like this

1. "Cache Read Percent : x.xx%" (where x.xx% is some actual percentage)
    "Cache Write Percent : x.xx%" (where x.xx& is some actual percentage)

If you want. Run a DISK Read/Write Test  Before and After This Procedure I'm sure you' get the results you want.

Was this information helpful?