cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Views: 43,340

Question

This needs to be resolved as my Y510p SLI does not work. It is not detected therefore only the first graphic card can be used.

I only just received my newly purchased y510p from NewEgg, and now see that I cannot upgrade to Windows 8.1 and keep my SLI, a feature which cost me an extra $200. NewEgg wants to charge a restocking fee if the laptop needs to be returned, though that might be negotiable NewEgg should not have to eat that loss either.

Per the nVidia representative, Lenovo's system does not update the VBIOS of an UltraBay video adapter. This needs to be fixed. 

Answer

After updating to Windows 8.1 and related Nvidia graphic card drivers, customers may experience the following symptoms

-          Second graphic card is not detected or SLI is disabled

-          Nvidia panel indicates only one graphic card instead of two

-          Can install the graphic card driver but SLI is not working

-          SLI is enabled with legacy drivers but performance drops

New vBIOS (video BIOS) has been released on 29 Oct 2013 that fixes this issue. Please find the download info link below.

IdeaPad Y400, Y500:

NVIDIA GeForce GT650M Second VGA BIOS Update for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - IdeaPad Y400, Y500

NVIDIA GeForce GT750M Second VGA BIOS Update for Windows 8.1 (64-bit) - IdeaPad Y400, Y500

Attention: Do not power off or restart your computer during the VBIOS flashing process, which will cause serious damage and improper functioning of your computer.

For Y410p & Y510p vBIOS, please refer to this knowledge based article.

Was this information helpful?

Comments
IYasserr

please I have y510p and i installed this bios & didn't work  now please help me how can i recover ( clean this vBios )  pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

R4G3

Have a y500 with nvidia gt750 in sli on Windows 8.1, no longer have sli or second gpu options in nvidia control panel. Both gpus show in the device manager. Tried the above bios flash following the given instructions-

Y400 Y500 NVIDIA GeForce GT750M Second VGA BIOS update README
Updated Date:2013-10-12
This package updates the NVIDIA Second VGA BIOS (VBIOS) on Y400 SLI and Y500 SLI.

Attention: Do not power off or restart your computer during the VBIOS flashing process, which will cause serious damage and improper functioning of your computer.

Print this file so that you can refer to it during the installation.

Check VGA Card version.
======================
1. Press Win+X
2. Select Device Manager
3. In Device Manager, select "Display adapters"
4. Make sure there exist "NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M" in it.

Install the package in Windows.
======================
1. Keep machine in AC mode with at least 35% Battery
2. Right click Winflash_Yx00s.bat;
3. Run as administrator;
4. Press "Y" to execute the next action;
5. Press "Y" to start VBIOS upgrade process;
6. Command APP will be auto close and upgrade process finish.
7. Reboot

Updated Information:
Latest Version VBIOS fix SLI mode in Win8.1.

Unortunately it did not work for me. After step 3, Run as administrator, the cmd line window pops up and immediately closes before steps 4-6 can be completed. After reboot there is no change in funtionality. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, especially if the issue can be resolved.

tomtraveller

Hello, I wanted to pass this along. This worked for me but you do not have to run as admin. Just click on the .bat file then follow the rest of directions:  2. Left click Winflash_Yx00s.bat; 3. Run as administrator(No need to); 4. Press "Y" to execute the next action; 5. Press "Y" to start VBIOS upgrade process; 6. Command APP will be auto close and upgrade process finish. 7. Reboot

Updated Information: Latest Version VBIOS fix SLI mode in Win8.1.

SubhasisS

Hi,

It worked for me. I could not run as Admin, it was not opening.

But without admin i ran the Winflash_Yx00s.bat file. After 2 tries it worked and SLI is showing in the Nvidia control panel.

SLI in Win 8.1.PNG

R4G3

The sli issue remains unresolved. I have used the .bat file as instructed, after restart there are still no options for the second gpu in the Nvidia control panel, no sli.  If there are to be screen shots posted have the screenshot include a window indicating that the system is running windows 8.1. The screenshot posted could be in windows 7 for all that it shows is the Nvidia control panel and no other pertinent information. Not interested in hearing from people I don't know "it worked for me!" without any useful info to inform how to achieve the same results or prove such claims. Some moderator support here would be in order, I have found nothing that works to resolve this issue and have had no contact from Lenovo to address it.

R4G3

It finally worked. Here's the screenshot (cropped, the image size limit to load here is ridiculously small...) showing both the Nvidia Control Panel with SLI enabled in the foreground and my system info indicating that it is indeed on Windows 8.1 and is a Lenovo system

2014-03-15 21_42_02-Greenshot SLI fixed in win8.1.png

DO NOT try to run the .bat file as an administrator, it won't work- it just opens and closes immediately. I had to run the .bat file a few times before it took, I have no idea why it wouldn't work the first two times(Maybe Lenovo can look into it, not holding my breath though). Note that I have the CPU selected for Physx processing, only after I selected this did the lime green SLI indicator pop below the two GPU's

SubhasisS

Glad it worked for you.

As this thread was for Windows 8.1 did not thought of posting the system information screen to prove. Anyway i should have to make the things clear.

As I mentioned for me also it did not work as Admin also it only work after trying 2-3 times.

Bytheway are you happy with the picture quality of windows 8.1? Its not at all good for me so I opened another thread for the same. Maybe some one will help me there with the information.

NVIDIA.PNG

R4G3

"Bytheway are you happy with the picture quality of windows 8.1? Its not at all good for me so I opened another thread for the same."

I'd have to ask for specifics when you refer to picture quality. I have not noticed anything particularly noteworthy either bad or good about picture quality in Win8.1

boomerb5
I have a y510p with the internal (not ultrabay) GeForce 750 card. After "upgrading" to Win 8.1, only the integrated Intel adapter seems to be recognized. I've followed through the well-documented solutions of downloading the new VGA drivers and the video BIOS update. The drivers seem to install successfully - no errors, device manager has no "splats". But the video BIOS will not update. I always get "ERROR: No NVIDIA display adapters found" I've gone so far as to launch the command prompt as Administrator, and use various combinations of switches to coerce the process. But all I ever get is the error. I've even disabled the Intel adapter in Device Manager and rebooted, which should force the Nvidia 750 to be used. But I get the same error. Based on what I've seen in the Lenovo and Nvidia forums, I am not the only person in this situation. But I've never seen a solution or even a further suggestion beyond this point. Anyone got anything?
Sofitabs

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, but I've been trying to find a solution for this exact problem all day. I bought my y500 (the one with the 2 gt650m) without an operating system, and installed windows 8.1 from scratch (not update). I tried installing the second VGA bios update several times. At first, the .bat file didn't work. The WinFlash opened, but after I typed "y" it closed saying "ERROR: update aborted".

After a few tries (after reboot) I got the .bat to work (not as administrator, that did the trick), then typed "1". I'm not sure it it did what it's supposed to, the window closed rather abruptly. And then, everytime I open the WinFlash, it always gives the same error as before and closes the window. 

A couple of details: I can't see the second card on the Nvidia panel. Also, on the Device Manager, one of the cards (bus 2 on properties) has an error icon and the device status is "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (code 43)". Is this the same for everyone, or have I managed to mess up sth else?

Please, does anyone have any idea how to do this? The people who solved the problem seem to have gotten there just by trying the same thing several times...

Sofitabs

Hi again,

I found this thread on the windows 8.1 forum http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/nvidia-geforce-gt-755m/11679c1b-c26d-48b1-825a-3028a6fbf4fe . It's about a y510p laptop. One of the solutions is uninstalling the second card from device manager and then letting "Scan for hardware changes" reinstall it automatically. I'm not sure this is the best way. Eventually someone comes up with "Problem cleared. Systemrecovery". I have no idea what it means, maybe it will help someone else.

parisps

Ok, I think I found the answer. 

First dissable one of the two graphic cards from the device manager. (right click -> dissable)

1) You need to run the .bat file from admin. Not through double click , but from an admin terminal.

2) From the same terminal update the vbios.

*) In order to work I had to disable each graphic card seperatly from the device manager and repeat the process twice.

I also noticed that the graphics look fuzzy in win 8.1. This I have not solved yet.

Number1Boss

I know, Lenovo's support is terrible. Anyways, I've been looking for a 750m Ultrabay and if you aren't able to fix the issue, I could purchase it off of you. It would make my day, and rid you of the extra 160$ paperweight that you now possess (thanks lenovo!).

john1007

hi

i wanted to upgrade VBIOS but it shows nvidia display adapter not found so what should i do.someone help me please.

simsterman

i found this at nvidia seems they soulved this

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/340.52/340.52-win8-win7-notebook-release-notes.pdf

here you can download the WHQL driver for the lenovo IDEAPAD Y510p nvidia 700 series notebook SLI 

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/77228/en-us

hope this helps everyone :-)

Contributors