Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
achen9291
Fanfold Paper
Views: 9,879
Message 1 of 11

Y500 SSD

Just got my y500 with the 16gig ssd. I have a samsung 830 ssd that I want to put into the primary slot. and take the terabyte and put it in a caddy in replace of the cd drive. the 12.7mm universal caddy does not fit in there.. will a 9mm one fit?

Can someone instruct me on how to get the windows 8 onto my ssd because there is no cd key sticker etc..thx..

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 9,842
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y500 SSD

hi achen9291,

If your machine was configured to have a combo drive (1TB SATA HDD + 16GB mSATA SSD)  as listed in this pdf data sheet, then this is already a good setup. The sole purpose of the 16GB mSATA SSD is to improve system performance by caching data.

It's not recommended to change the 1TB SATA HDD to as much as a Samsung 830 2.5 SSD as you won't benefit from the 16Gb mSATA caching performance. if you decide to go this step though, you can remove the mSATA SSD (or just use it as an extra storage) and replace the 1TB HDD with the Samsung.830 2.5 SSD. The size of the ODD is 9.5mm (you will need to get a HDD caddy of same size to use the 1TB HDD).

See page 39 on how to replace the HDD and page 42 on how to replace the SSD on the Hardware Maintenance Manual.

For installing Windows 8 on the Samsung 2.5 SSD, you can opt to clean install to the SSD or you can try this software (or a similar app) to migrate the yuor OS and apps from your HDD to the 2.5 Samsung SSD. 

Edit: added links 

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

mscottie
Token Ring
Views: 9,539
Message 3 of 11

I've spend the last two days trying to figure out how to get Windows 8 on a different drive on my Y500.  In my case I went with a mSATA Crucial m4 256GB SSD drive and am leaving the 1TB drive in the system.  

First for clarification, both the mSATA port and the regular 2.5" SATA port are both SATA III capable (6Gb/s).  So the 1TB drives they ship aren't the best for this system but still work good for a data drive.  The mSATA SSD works awesome!

I tried multiple things on all of these forums including creating a USB drive with the recovery image, with Windows 8 and even trying to transfer the partitions from the original drive to the SSD.  None of them worked for me.  I never wanted to have the original load from Lenovo anyway because of all the bloat.  There were SIX partitions on the drive.  

So last night in desparation I put in a retail DVD of WIndows 8 and started it to see if I could just get it to install.  Amazingly the Windows 8 retail DVD installed never asking for my COA (appears to use the one already programmed into the UEFI Bios).  I have a fresh clean load of WIndows 8 on my system, activated and with no problems at all.  Manually loaded the drivers and the software I wanted.

Wow, what a system this is when it's configured and loaded properly!

Hope this helps somone not waste as much time doing this as I did.

mhormati
Paper Tape
Views: 9,128
Message 4 of 11

How did you know that both regular and mSATA are capable of SATAIII. Most people are not sure about it.
mscottie
Token Ring
Views: 9,117
Message 5 of 11

I put in 6Gb/s drives and looked at what Intel's utilities said they were running at and what speed they transferred at. I was going to choose the mSATA unless it wasn't capable of SATA III and I wanted to know if upgrading my data drive to a faster one in the future would be better and capable of 6Gb/s in either of the location. I knew the HM76 should be capable of both of them being SATA III (this chipset has 2 capable 6Gb/s ports and 4 capable 3Gb/s ports) so for them not to do this would have seriously limited the system of it's true potential. Though this means the Optical drive is only SATA II capable too. I'm very disappointed they chose not to include an eSATA connector on this one though when the chipset supports it natively like this one. But also the USB ports are limited to what is available.

I have two of these systems my son and I game on and they have functioned flawlessly with the SSD and memory upgrades after reloading them.
mhormati
Paper Tape
Views: 8,912
Message 6 of 11

Thanks for your comprehensive response. Today I talked with a salesperson and she said that mSATA is not upgradable ! I would like to know if Y500 is capable of having 9-cell battery? And if you think there is any solution to enable Optimus on that? and if not what can we do to have a longer battery life on that? Thanks a lot .
bobl52
What's DOS?
Views: 6,558
Message 7 of 11

Thanks for th info, this is a big help.  I hope these questions aren't too obvious but:

1.  Where did you put the SDD?  In the ultrabay slot?  Any advantage to using the slot the hdd is in?

2. When you installed Win 8 on the SDD, presumably the old installation remained intact and you could boot either or did th new Win8 installation somehow corrupt the existing installation on the hard drive.

3. As far as drivers go, taking your approach and leaving the HDD in place I assume I can just copy any drivers I need from the drivers lenovo ships on the hard drive. 

mscottie
Token Ring
Views: 6,540
Message 8 of 11

I used an mSATA SSD and just replaced the 16GB version that came with it. I did not try to leave the OS on the other drive and just installed a clean version of Windows 8 on the SSD. I then used the drivers yes some off of the original drive that I had copied off, but more often I upgraded to other versions that the various manufactures had out there. This worked the same with a 2.5 inch SSD in replacement of the 1TB normal drive, but again, I wouldn't have a data drive. So this is why I opted for the mSATA once I found it to be running at full speed.
parisps
Paper Tape
Views: 4,862
Message 9 of 11

I am in king the same position as you where,  see here for more details

So what I understood is that I can add an SSD to the Y500 and install windows 8 on it and all is golden. All this while keeping the 1TB as a second internal drive right? To do this I have to remove the caching drive correct? Where do I get a Windows 8 installation disk? I mean I already payed for the OS when I bought the Y500 right?

max713
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,005
Message 10 of 11

i have the same problem. what i found out about reinstalling win8 is you need a win8 dvd, which costs about 90€ and comes with a new serial key... the option to download win8 from microsoft does not exist like it was with win7, because therefor you need a key (the key which came with the y500 is not authorised for downloading)
i'm also searching for a possibility to get a win8 dvd or usb stick

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors