Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toshin
Punch Card
Views: 2,683
Message 1 of 17

Y500: Serious Issues Lenovo Engineers must fix

Hi folks,

I am here to sum up the major problems of this model in one topic because the threads stating these problems are scattered all over the forums.

Here is a list of problems Lenovo should fix on the Y500:

Bios fixes:

- (visible) option to enable Intel HD4000 for WiDi and switchable graphics resulting in longer battery runtime

- Battery status LED should turn orange if fully charged and blink on low battery

--> or how do you know whether fully charged or not??? Please tell me!

- option to enable Num. Block on startup. I got to turn it on manuelly each time.

Hardware fixes:

- touchpad: hot issue

- keyboard: autotyping random things at random times, or freezes and stops working

If you agree with me: Please discuss on this topic, make it popular, so that Lenovo staff will pay attention to it.

Feel free to post any further issues!

Maxxender
Punch Card
Views: 2,649
Message 2 of 17

Re: Y500: Serious Issues Lenovo Engineers must fix

Touchpad and keyboard issue is obviously a grounding/interference problem. Users have reported a resonation coming from the metal casing on the laptop, that could be from improper grounding. If I had one of these laptops myself i'd run a multimeter on it.

Highlighted
toskey
Paper Tape
Views: 2,641
Message 3 of 17

i have the touchpad issue and everytime i restart laptop the second gt650m is nowhere to be found.

those two are killing me.

I am running windows 7 ultimate.

popcanface
Punch Card
Views: 2,629
Message 4 of 17

I second your case for a Bios update.  I have sent my y500 in to the repair depot to have the trackpad and Wireless drop issue looked at.  It is on Hold status awaiting parts. We will see if they are just replacing with Synaptics touchpads or also updating Bios.

toshin
Punch Card
Views: 2,562
Message 5 of 17

Well, I sent in my laptop because of faulty trackpad and keyboard, too. Last Thursday Lenovo received it. I hope they don't put in another faulty touchpad because a solution is suggested by Lenovo staff a few days later. I can't check the repair status online. The only way is to call them I guess.

I had major wireless issues at the very beginning using Win 8. Everything I did for fixing, was updating the driver.

toshin
Punch Card
Views: 2,495
Message 6 of 17

Further issue:

always-on-USB is disabled

I can't confirm it but some users are complaining about it.
gran_escape
Paper Tape
Views: 2,490
Message 7 of 17

I couldn't agree more with these issues. Specifically the touchpad issues. I was actually just searching for a driver download on Google and one of the top links was this page. So I figured I would get involved and see if anyone had any progress with the issue so far. I do enjoy this laptop very much but after a few days the touchpad has serious issues.

toskey
Paper Tape
Views: 2,447
Message 8 of 17

The always on USB with extra power can be turned on from bios 1.05.

I changed windows to windows 8 and most of my touchpad problems got away with the newest synaptics drivers.

However some games give me trouble with the cursor as it is frozen all the time. In Windowed mode i do not have these problems....

It is either driver issue/bios issue or combination of both.

deelybop
SCSI Port
Views: 2,418
Message 9 of 17

when i went into my BIOS and enabled the Always on USB, the very next day I experiences multiple keyboard errors. for about a few hours, every other thing I typed would spit out random letters, then freeze, then not be usable. I removed the battery, reinstalled and haven't had the issue since.

i'm worried about the inegrity of this system. I would like to exchange for a comparably priced y580 but have to receive a reply from a PM i sent. I've been given the ok to return the y500, which leaves me without a laptop when I need it most.

ram_12
Punch Card
Views: 2,383
Message 10 of 17

Some people are complaining about over sensitivity of Optical disk drives. i.e, disk drive is opening even if u touch it. Im not sure about this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors