Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
francisxavierp
Punch Card
Views: 983
Message 11 of 17

Re: Y500: Serious Issues Lenovo Engineers must fix

I am too facing the keyboard issue of radom characters. Any solutions offered by lenovo for this.

toshin
Punch Card
Views: 936
Message 12 of 17

New announcement:

My laptop will be sent in for the second time. Return period of 14 days is over. No cash back or switching to other models.
If the issues remain after 3rd repair, there probably will be another solution offer.
- that's what he said
guesswhoo
Blue Screen Again
Views: 883
Message 13 of 17

Hi mate, 

where did you get the drivers? from that chinese site?

rayndalrenfrow
Paper Tape
Views: 571
Message 14 of 17

Hello All!

I know this thread is a few months old but I figured I would post a solution to the irratic keyboard issue.

PROBLEM:

When typing on the keyboard with slight enthusiasm, all of a sudden the computer will "freak out" and type random letters and the keyboard will no longer function unless you bang on the keyboard (well that worked in my case).  Also, when repeatedly pushing the number 6 button on the num pad it would type: 6666666'666'6''6''6666'6.

CAUSE:

Most users, with a little searching, can find post about it being really bad when the "Always On USB" is set to 'enabled' in the Bios settings which is true.  However, the main cause is the power that the "Always On Usb" feeds and this causes a shielding failure between the Ultra Bay and the keyboard's EMI Shielding.  When you type on the keyboard, the keyboard's EMI shielding will either touch or come extremely close to the Ultra Bay Item's shield and cause a feedback and in return "freak out" the keyboard.

SOLUTION:

OK....here is what I have done and for two days now, with the USB Always On set to 'enabled', I have not seen any indication that the irratic behaivor is happening still.

1. Power off the machin

2. Remove the Battery

3. Set the little switch button, under the battery, to 'unlocked'

4. Hold the switch button in the middle of the bottom cover to 'unlock' and remove the item in the Ultra Bay slot. (In my case, I removed my Optical Drive). 

5. Using ESD resistance tape, tape all metal surfaces possible on the Optical drive.  (I have read that on the new Ultra Bay Video Cards that Lenovo just released for the Y500 will require you to place tape on the top of the heatsink because it comes into contact with the shield on the bottom of the keyboard)

6. Once you have taped up the metal surfaces on your Ultra Bay device, reinsert it very carefully not to tear the tape.  Should slide right in pretty easy unless you went "Chuck Norris" with a bunch of tape.

7. Relock the little lock switch under the battery, insert the battery and lock it and enjoy!

PS - I know this kind of solution is pretty "Ghetto" and should not be needed but what do you expect from a CORPORATION?  I mean, do you really think they care if you have an issue on a product that you already gave them your money for?  To be honest, they probably "laid off" the best QA guy/gal, who had probably been working there for almost 30 years because he/she was getting close to retirement and they didn't want to pay and now we are stuck with Laptops that were not QA'ed very well.  Sorry Guys/Gals!  But we can let the "Free Market" do it's thing because I can tell you that I will never ever ever ever ever purchase anything from Lenovo again.

shk13
What's DOS?
Views: 440
Message 15 of 17

i have usb issues with my Y500
yes i agree num lock and touchpad issues are really annoying
and one time my wifi access was dead, i had to reinstall my windows for it work
whats up with that?

rayndalrenfrow
Paper Tape
Views: 405
Message 16 of 17

OK party people.  Here is the result of my "workaround" for the erratic keyboard issue. 

After putting the tape on the optical drive exposed metal parts, the keyboard works great.  However, as soon as you turn the "always on" usb to the enable setting in the bios, the keyboard starts freaking out again.  I believe this to be cause not only by the bios patch but also by hardware poor design.  I am sorry but it seems after lots of use which I monitored for the issue, that the only way to have this laptop to function properly is to perform the workaround that I listed in detail and also to never ever user the USB Always on feature. 

Way to go Lenovo! <big sarcasm>

rayndalrenfrow
Paper Tape
Views: 393
Message 17 of 17

shk13,

I haven't had any issues with the WIFI adapter cutting out.  And just you stating that you had to re-install Windows to make it work, would lead me to conclude that it was a driver issue.  After re-installing windows, it probably updated with an install of the wifi adapter driver and fixed the issue.  If it happens again, navigate to the "device manager" by right clicking on My Computer and then clicking "manage" and you will find device manager.  Here you can view the status of your drivers and see what condition the wifi adapter driver is in.  Sometimes if I have an issue with an "add-on" component like an adapter, I will uninstall the driver and re-install it and it will work properly.  Always process of elimination starting with the easiest thing first.  Re-installing an OS should be your next to last resort.  The last resort being "setting the laptop on fire" or swaping a piece of hardware like the screen. lol

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors