Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
towropowr
Paper Tape
Views: 343
Message 1 of 4

Y500 display turns off

The last few weeks I've had an issue with my y500.  If I open the lid too far, the screen goes blank, almost like the lid is being shut.  This happens quite a few degrees before the hinges are maxed open.  As you might imagine, this is pretty obnoxious.  Any one have similar experiences/fixes?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 330
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y500 display turns off

@towropowr wrote:

The last few weeks I've had an issue with my y500.  If I open the lid too far, the screen goes blank, almost like the lid is being shut.  This happens quite a few degrees before the hinges are maxed open.  As you might imagine, this is pretty obnoxious.  Any one have similar experiences/fixes?

Try to examine the display cable. IMO, you might need to replace it.

towropowr
Paper Tape
Views: 314
Message 3 of 4

I actually did disassemble the unit pretty completely.  I tore it down, until I could get the display off.  The cable seemed pretty secure to the motherboard.  Sadly, I lost my nerve while getting to the screen.  Following the service manual, there should be two screws as the base of the screen, behind the hing location, however, when I popped two square stickers off (that should be covering the screws) I saw no screws, and only say more plastic, with no edge visible.  I tried to pry that plastic out, thought I was unsuccesful at that.  It almost seems like the plastic is built into the area around it, and is not able to be pried out.  

The only thing I can really think of with the cable is if with repeated openings, it creates a temporary open connection when then lid is opened a lot, and then reconnects as it is shut partially.  Though, I'm not sure why then the exact position that the effect happens seems to be so consistent, even after the tear down.  

I still have warranty left on the unit, so I am considering just sending it in for repair, but I don't want to be without the machine for a while, or to lose the hdd set up I have going (I switched the 16gb caching msata for a 256 gb msata running the os and some select software.)

Is there another build to the screen out there?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 309
Message 4 of 4

@towropowr wrote:

I actually did disassemble the unit pretty completely.  I tore it down, until I could get the display off.  The cable seemed pretty secure to the motherboard.  Sadly, I lost my nerve while getting to the screen.  Following the service manual, there should be two screws as the base of the screen, behind the hing location, however, when I popped two square stickers off (that should be covering the screws) I saw no screws, and only say more plastic, with no edge visible.  I tried to pry that plastic out, thought I was unsuccesful at that.  It almost seems like the plastic is built into the area around it, and is not able to be pried out.  

The only thing I can really think of with the cable is if with repeated openings, it creates a temporary open connection when then lid is opened a lot, and then reconnects as it is shut partially.  Though, I'm not sure why then the exact position that the effect happens seems to be so consistent, even after the tear down.  

I still have warranty left on the unit, so I am considering just sending it in for repair, but I don't want to be without the machine for a while, or to lose the hdd set up I have going (I switched the 16gb caching msata for a 256 gb msata running the os and some select software.)

Is there another build to the screen out there?

That might be a good idea to just let Lenovo do the repair. The cable might have a break or there might be a loose connection on the display side or at the motherboard side. Anyway it's really difficult to access the part so that its better to just let them do it for you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors