cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
toshin
Punch Card
Views: 4,269
Message 1 of 6

Y500 fails on installing Windows 7, GPT partition-styled..

Hi guys,

it's been 7h since I am trying to downgrade from Win 8 to 7. Everytime I want to install Win 7 it states that the partition is "GPT partition-styled". Yes, I tried other options in the BIOS but same thing. The problem exists for both 32 and 64bit versions.

I want to install Win7 without deleting the lenovo recovery partition, so OneKeyRecovery will not be affected.

Since there are Win7 drivers out on the chinese Lenovo site, there has to be a way to run it.

Thanks for your help

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,252
Message 2 of 6

Re: Y500 fails on installing Windows 7, GPT partition-styled..

You will need to repartition your hdd fully which would result in data loss which include the recovery partition, the c drive. the d drive and other drives.
However i did find i guide on changing gpt to mbr without data loss but i cannot assure after installing windows 7 even without changing the partition type, one key recovery would work, so do it on your own risk
https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQtwIwAA&url=http%3...
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
toshin
Punch Card
Views: 4,223
Message 3 of 6

My next question is, I have 7 partitions on Disk 0, which one can I delete incl. the OS so that the one key recovery won't be affected at all?

WINRE_DRV 1000MB
unallocated 260MB
LRS_ESP 1000MB
unallocated 128MB
C: Windows 8 883GB
D: Lenovo 25GB
PBR_DRV 20GB

I might be pretty close finding a solution depending on the answer.

Happy new Year!

ishaan
Bit Torrent
Views: 4,216
Message 4 of 6

Deleting any partition would result in one key recovery not working.
Happy New Year to you too :-))
Ishaan Ideapad Y560(i3 330m), Hp Elitebook 8460p!(i5-2520M) Hp Pavilion n208tx(i5-4200u)
If you think a post helped you, then you can give Kudos to the post by pressing the Star on the left of the post. If you think a post solved your problem, then mark it as a solution so that others having the same problem can refer to it.
toshin
Punch Card
Views: 4,208
Message 5 of 6

I chose to stick with Win 8 for now. I really hate it though.

Maybe someone else can try installing Win 7 without deleting the whole harddrive and post somewhere in this forum.

I heard that AOMEI Partition Assistant Pro Edition 5.1 is able to convert MBR to GPT or GPT to MBR WITHOUT data loss. But the contradiction is, MBR is only able to handle 3 primary partitions and up to 128 logical partitions. Yet on the Y500 there exist 5 primaries.

Maybe the program is able to work around it. And don't forget that this program can't convert the partition style while windows runs on the selected drive.

Here are some other links how to install Win 7 on GPT. Note: Only 64bit recognizes GPT.

Link 1

Link 2

Try at your very own risk!!

Hellblade
Paper Tape
Views: 3,780
Message 6 of 6

Had the same problem, but i solved it...

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 working on GPT with Uefi without too much problems:

How i did it:

I wanted to install Windows 7 next to Windows 8! So i tried everything what is normal, but it wasn´t working...

So what i did is, to start Windows 8 and insert the Windows 7 Disc via USB Disc Drive.

I started the installation and it worked fine.

After that, i installed the drivers..

I had some problem with energie management, so i uninstalled it again.

SLI Graphic is working fine, if you install the newest driver from nvidea. 

You have to shutdown and start again the y500

Restart will not recognize the SLI , you have everytime to shut down and start again.

You will also get newer driver for the WiFi from Intel direct, working much better

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors