cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 450
Message 1 of 4

Y500 hard drive disconnecting/freezing

When I received my laptop it had a STLT500LT012 in it.

My laptop came with Rapid Storage Technology installed, if this was installed, my laptop would freeze every few minutes. It was so bad that I couldn't use my laptop correctly.

So I first thought, ok this is maybe software bug, let's exclude this first. When I uninstalled it the issue was fixed.

But then I was like I am going to buy myself a 7200RPM hard drive. I installed the hard drive nicely in my computer. Then I installed Rapid Storage Technology.

Guess what? No freezes. So this way I had to conclude that it is no software issue but rather a hardware issue which I also confirmed by the following:

I bought myself a external hard drive casing and I placed the ST500LT012 inside the casing. And it would disconnect sometimes. Not a lot, but sometimes. Mostly when placing VMWare virtual machines on it and running it straight off my external hard drive.

So I am thinking that I trigger this issue faster when putting load on the drive. But I wanted to exclude it was the casing being the issue, so I bought another one. Same result.

My other USB devices do not seem to disconnect. Which is also worth mentioning. I had all ports occupied.

Even though SMART is showing no errors and the drive seems healthy it is causing issues everywhere.

I also did some extensive read tests, seatools for windows, ... but they all passed successfully.

Now I would like to know if my tests are sufficient to show that the hard drive that came with my laptop is not working so well. It happens maybe once in two days. Sometimes it happens frequently, but mostly it's rarely happening. But this one interrupt causes me to lose all my work.

I would like to know what Lenovo Support thinks.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Personal website: ThinkScopes

cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 441
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y500 hard drive disconnecting/freezing

You probably just got a bad HDD batch. You can still try calling Lenovo if they can replace it as part of warranty.

Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 423
Message 3 of 4

hi jonas_hendrickx,

In addition to what cbautis2 have said, you might not get errors on the HDD's cyclinder/sectors where the diagnostic utility checks for errors but you probably have a malfunctioning controller/circuit board (this is the green PCB where the controller chips are stored as discussed in this article).

If you're still under warranty, contact lenovo to report the issue (they'll most likely ask you to send the unit in for service).

Best regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

mieksr
What's DOS?
Views: 369
Message 4 of 4

I've been having the same issue for a month now. My y500 is only 4 months old Smiley Sad. I will probably have to swap out the harddrive to make sure that that is the actual problem.

I hate it how my laptop freezes when I'm in the middle of work.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors