cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cool_Man
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,786
Message 1 of 11

Y500 - hard drive failed, now ready to install replacement + new mSATA SSD to be primary boot drive

I have a Y500 model that originally came with a Samsung Spinpoint 5400RPM 1TB HDD + 16GB SSD cache mSATA drive. The original drive failed a few days ago, so I have decided to not only replace the new "spinning" drive with a 7200RPM model but I also bought a Samsung EVO 850 mSATA 128GB drive.

At the moment, I have only inserted both drives into the laptop and they are both completely blank. I went into the BIOS and it shows 2 Hard Drives recognized both the 1TB "spinning" drive as well as the mSATA SSD. The mSATA was labeled Hard Disk 1 and the 1TB as #2.

Unfortunately, I didn't create my recovery USB media until the original Spinpoint drive was at about 70% drive health according to Acronis Drive Monitor. I didn't receive any errors but I am skeptical on the stability of all of the recovery media that is contained on the USB flash drive.

Anyway, what option should I take to make the mSATA SSD the primary boot drive with the OS and programs and the 1TB as the data only drive for everything else? I have been reading a lot of threads here about cloning with Paragon Backup & Recovery and also Paragon Migrate OS to SSD programs, however in this case I have both drives completely blank and basically starting from scratch. 

Also, I have read some threads that say with Windows 8 and later you can create a clean install recovery media USB that will work from this Microsoft site (link). I was able to run Belarc Advisor to obtain a product key, however it shows it's for Windows 8.1 64bit but originally I had Windows 8 64bit and I have read in some cases that when you reinstall you can't use a Windows 8.1 installation media but rather you must start with Windows 8? It's all pretty confusing.

How should I begin? Any suggestions are extremely appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance!

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,770
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y500 - hard drive failed, now ready to install replacement + new mSATA SSD to be primary boot dr

hi Cool_Man,

Welcome to the Forums.

You should be able to activate Windows using the Create installation media for Windows 8.1 link as the product key shoud activate both versions of Windows (8 and 8.1).

If you're already decided what type of installation you need (either legacy or UEFI installation), you can then pop in the USB installation media and install Windows on the mSATA drive.

More info:

Create Bootable USB or DVD with Windows 8 ISO

UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive - Create in Windows

Note:

If you get problems activating online, you will need to activate by phone.

How to Activate Windows 8 and 8.1 by Phone

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Cool_Man
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,758
Message 3 of 11

Re: Y500 - hard drive failed, now ready to install replacement + new mSATA SSD to be primary boot dr

Thank you for the welcome and your reply neokenchi!

I believe I have determined it's UEFI boot according to the BIOS. Unless I change it to Legacy. Secure boot shows to be enabled as well.

I have attached BIOS screenshots below, is there anything in the BIOS I need to change first before I create the USB media from the Create installation media for Windows 8.1 link? 

Do I need to do any of those things listed in your More Info links above such as with Rufus or the command prompt with DISKPART etc. 

Do I need to do these special formats to the USB flash drive before I create the install media from the Microsoft site?

Link to image 1

Link to image 2

Link to image 3

Link to image 4

Thanks in advance

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Jowah
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,755
Message 4 of 11

I installed 8.1 on a brand new disk just using a simple OEM disk from microsoft. You will automatically get its license from UEFI

Cool_Man
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,748
Message 5 of 11

Hi Jowah,

Did you have to do anything to initialize the drives first? Run DISKPART, CLEAN etc?
Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 1,736
Message 6 of 11

hi there,

@Cool_Man

Jowah's right. The Win8.1 installer that you created will be installed in UEFI mode (and should automatically format the drive to GPT) once it detected the product key in the UEFI firmware. No need to do diskpart unless you want to customize the partition table (i.e., create a Drive C:\ for OS, and Drive D:\ for movies, pictures, etc.).

Note:

You should be able to boot from the Win8.1 USB installer without disabling anything in the BIOS but if you encounter problems, you will need to set Secure Boot to Disabled.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Cool_Man
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,733
Message 7 of 11

Great! Thank you both neokenchi and Jowah for all your help! Smiley Happy

Jowah
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,724
Message 8 of 11

Exactly, I just plugged the disk out of the box and Windows installer will initialize/format it for you

Cool_Man
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,715
Message 9 of 11

OK, so I got Windows 8.1 x64 successively installed and up and running on the mSATA SSD drive, no issues at all and it shows Activated in the System Info! 

So...the issue now is I am not seeing the 1TB 7200RPM drive in File Explorer/Computer section? Only see the mSATA SSD 

Perhaps I need to do something to initialize the 1TB drive? 

I did see both drives listed when I was doing the Windows Installation, the SSD was Drive 0 and the 1TB "spinning" drive was Drive 1.

Cool_Man
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,706
Message 10 of 11

So I went into Computer Management > Disk Management to see if I could see the 1TB Disk 1. When it opened it immediately said:
You must initialize a disk before Logical Disk Manager can access it.
With Disk 1 listed

Should I select GPT (GUID Partition Table) or MBR (Master Boot Record)?
GPT is the default already selected

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors