Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tony_D
Punch Card
Views: 30,461
Message 1 of 14

Y500 - mSATA SSD install location?

Hello everyone. I purchased the y500 without the 16gb SSD cache drive because it wasn't available at the time. I would like to add the ssd myself and I need to know the location that the the SSD would fit into. Once the laptop cover is off there is a small area with connectors near the memory card slot location with connectors that arent being utilized. Is that where the msata goes?

Moderator comment: Subject edited to match content. Post split out to new thread.

Moderator comment: Please don't post the same message(s) in multiple places as it splinters the discussion. Duplicate(s) removed.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 30,356
Message 2 of 14

Re: Y500 - mSATA SSD install location?

hi Tony_D,

You're right. The PCI Express Mini Card slot is shared with the Wireless LAN Card and an optional SSD card (this PCI-E slot supports wireless & SSD data signals). You will need to sacrifice the wireless card if you'll be using an mSATA SSD.

Correction, there's two PCIe Mini Card slots (one for mSATA SSD, one for Wi-Fi adapter) 

Your other option would be getting a 2.5 SATA SSD like the OCZ Vertex 4 and make it as a primary drive and install the Operating System and frequently accessed softwares / files there (since a 2.5 SATA SSD is 3-5 times faster than mSATA SSD). You can still use the 2.5 SATA HDD by using an external 2.5 SATA enclosure or sacrifice your ODD by putting the HDD there by getting a 9.5mm HDD Caddy (you can get a 9.5.7mm ODD enclosure to still use your ODD).

Hope this helps.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Tony_D
Punch Card
Views: 30,338
Message 3 of 14

I may have been unclear with the location I think is the right location for the mSATA. The slot I am speaking of (when you take the cover off and the battery compartment is facing you) there is an empty bay that is the exact size for an mSATA in the upper left quadrant (at least that what it looks like). It has the exact PCI slots that mSATAs have. It would make zero sense for Lenovo to build a Y500 without a msata cache drive and rob users of the ability to add a mSATA after purchase unless they want to sacrifice an integral part of everyday functionality. I can upload a pic of the bay I am speaking of if it will help.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 30,313
Message 4 of 14

hi Tony_D,

Correction to what I've said earlier, there's two PCIe Mini Card slots (one for mSATA SSD, one for Wi-Fi adapter)

Here's a sample picture of the Y500's motherboard:

Spoiler
SSD3.JPG

It will help if you can upload a pic of your Lenovo Y500 for us to verify the SSD slot that you're refering to.

Cheers

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

mscottie
Token Ring
Views: 29,902
Message 5 of 14

Where are you getting this information about a 2.5" SSD being 3-5 times faster than a mSATA SSD?  I've verified both port run at 6Gb/s.  I plan on using a mSATA SSD that is 6Gb/s capable with a 6Gb/s storage drive. 

mscottie
Token Ring
Views: 29,722
Message 6 of 14

I added a Crucial m4 mSATA 256GB SSD with no problems and found it just as fast as a 2.5" SSD of the same model. Both run at 6Gb/s and have the same specs. This system works great with an mSATA.
ra_de_cki
Punch Card
Views: 29,693
Message 7 of 14

hello, can you plz upload photo of place where SSD should be in  ?? i bought y500 which should have SSD disc but i cant see in anywhere, just 1TB hdd and nothing more, anyone know maybe how can i check if there is SSD disc without opening laptop ?? some program ?? 

EDIT

i just tried with EVEREST but it shows only one hdd, maybe i have to turn on somehow this SSD disc ?? how to do this ?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 29,638
Message 8 of 14

hi ra_de_cki,

It's best if you open the bottom cover to see the SSD location (see spoiler for reference)

Spoiler
SSD4.JPG

Cheers

ra_de_cki
Punch Card
Views: 29,627
Message 9 of 14

@neokenchi wrote:

hi ra_de_cki,

It's best if you open the bottom cover to see the SSD location (see spoiler for reference)

Spoiler
SSD4.JPG

Cheers

thx for your answer, ok i will check it by this way but only if it safe for warranty ?? i will not loose it ?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 29,614
Message 10 of 14

hi ra_de_cki,

Opening up the PC will not void the warranty, Be very extra careful as the internal parts are sensitive to static electricity. Use an antistatic wrist trap when replacing sensitive PC components.

Cheers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors