Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

04-21-2013

United Kingdom

17 Signins

81 Page Views

• Views: 81
  • Message 1 of 6

Y500 touchpad two-finger-tap not working

2013-04-21, 21:14 PM

Hi I bought my Y500 a few days ago and happy with it in general. However, one day the two-finger-tap (for right click) on the touchpad stopped working. Below is a description.

Everything else as far as I can tell, including two-finger scroll and one-finger tap and so forth, are working fine, but the two-finger tap stopped working even though it worked fine for a few days. I have a suspicious as to what caused it but I'm not entirely sure. In any case I think it's most likely a bug, and probably software. One day I went into "control panel" -> "mouse" -> "device settings" -> "settings..." -> "Scrolling" -> "two-finger scrolling" -> "enable coasting". I played with coasting for a while, and soon disabled it again because I didn't really like it. However, it was then that I noticed that my two-finger tap stopped working. I have doubled-checked that "control panel" -> "mouse" -> "device settings" -> "settings..." -> "clicking" -> "two-finger click" is set to "secondary click (context menu, special drag)", but the two-finger click still doesn't work, even after a restarted. I downloaded the latest driver (version 16.2.18.0) and it still didn't work. I uninstalled the driver and installed it again and it still doesn't work. Now I like using the touchpad, but really hate living without two-finger tap for right-clicking. Please help me with this, thank you in anticipation.

Answer
Options

10 Posts

04-21-2013

United Kingdom

17 Signins

81 Page Views

Re: Y500 touchpad two-finger-tap not working

2013-04-29, 16:53 PM

I seem to have found a solution but I don't know exactly why it solves the problem. It seems that the problem might be that while the Synaptics touchpad device is a PS/2 device, it keeps getting software inteference (of some sort) by being recognised as an SMB (system management bus) device. What solved the problem for me was to go to "device manager" -> "system devices", locate "Synaptics SMB Driver", and either disable it or delete it. The touchpad two-finger-tap should then immediately start working. 

Replies(5)
Answer
Options

10 Posts

04-21-2013

United Kingdom

17 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2013-04-29, 16:53 PM

I seem to have found a solution but I don't know exactly why it solves the problem. It seems that the problem might be that while the Synaptics touchpad device is a PS/2 device, it keeps getting software inteference (of some sort) by being recognised as an SMB (system management bus) device. What solved the problem for me was to go to "device manager" -> "system devices", locate "Synaptics SMB Driver", and either disable it or delete it. The touchpad two-finger-tap should then immediately start working. 

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

10 Posts

04-21-2013

United Kingdom

17 Signins

81 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2013-05-03, 22:08 PM

OK so now this problem has come back. The two-finger-click has stopped working, AGAIN! This time I only turned off "edge swipe", and turned it back on again, but this somehow has broken two-finger-click.

I'm really quite fed up with this. What kind of people do Synaptics employ? As a computer scientist myself, I find this absolutely farcical. This is clearly a software bug. The core problem is that Synaptics seems to have monopoly over the touchpad market for laptops, other than the Apple Macbooks. I call on all laptop manufacturers, Lenovo in particular, to boycot Synaptics. Synaptics is an absolute embarrassment to Lenovo, and indeed any other laptop manufacturer. DO NOT buy any Lenovo Ideapad Y500. Buy the Apple Macbook instead.

Trust me, I'm not an Apple fanatic. In fact, quite the opposite. But PCs, Lenovo in particular, with their absolute disregard for quality control, has disappointed me for the last time.

I could of course spend more time pursuing this bug, but it is not my job. It is yours, Lenovo and Synaptics.

Oh, did I forget to mention that no one from Lenovo ever replied to my origninal post? Oh no nevermind that.

Options

2 Posts

06-22-2013

Malaysia

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 4 of 6

2013-06-22, 11:25 AM

Dude I completely feel you, I bought my Y500 recently and ever since I put in my mouse my touchpad went wack. I found the Synaptics settings and when i click enable two finger scrolling i see it tick then i wait a few seconds and it just turns off and I have no idea why. Its so frustrating and I checked whether there were hardware and driver updates for the mouse but there were non.

Options

2 Posts

06-22-2013

Malaysia

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 5 of 6

2013-06-22, 12:15 PM

I may have solved your problem man, this worked for me!

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers 

go there and update the driver, once your done restart your computer and go to the synaptics settings and everything should be sorted.

Hope it helps!

Options

2 Posts

01-31-2014

mumbai

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 6 of 6

2014-01-31, 19:17 PM

dude did u found any solutions to it....if yes thn forward me link ASAP!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms