Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foneman338
What's DOS?
Views: 511
Message 1 of 4

Y500 will not install Win 8.1 update KB2919355

My Y500 attempts to install the Win 8.1 update but continually fails. Trying the various posted remedies here and with Microsoft are fruitless as well. The DSIM fix, the sfc scan fix, etc. nothing remedies the problem. An odd observation along the way....my Windows version is is described as 8.1 on the control panel pages, and also using the command prompt VER command, comes up with version 6.3.9600, which is indicated to be 8.1. What is strange is that my start page is NOT the 8.1 page described in all the support and product descritions, OneDrive is NOT installed, etc. So I appear to have something saying I am 8.1 but other indicators saying I am not.

More interesting is the second Y510 I just received, performed the update flawlessly. When I do a simple comparison of the number of installed files, the Y510 machine shows approx 145,000 files in the windows folders, but my Y500 only shows 99,000. Clearly there is a difference.

Suggestions are welcome. The http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=42335 DID NOT work either.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 500
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y500 will not install Win 8.1 update KB2919355

@foneman338 wrote:

My Y500 attempts to install the Win 8.1 update but continually fails. Trying the various posted remedies here and with Microsoft are fruitless as well. The DSIM fix, the sfc scan fix, etc. nothing remedies the problem. An odd observation along the way....my Windows version is is described as 8.1 on the control panel pages, and also using the command prompt VER command, comes up with version 6.3.9600, which is indicated to be 8.1. What is strange is that my start page is NOT the 8.1 page described in all the support and product descritions, OneDrive is NOT installed, etc. So I appear to have something saying I am 8.1 but other indicators saying I am not.

More interesting is the second Y510 I just received, performed the update flawlessly. When I do a simple comparison of the number of installed files, the Y510 machine shows approx 145,000 files in the windows folders, but my Y500 only shows 99,000. Clearly there is a difference.

Suggestions are welcome. The http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=42335 DID NOT work either.

The easiest is to restore to factory default using OKR. Then update to 8.1.1.

Here is also the link in updating to 8.1.1.

Lorob1
Punch Card
Views: 427
Message 3 of 4

Win 8.1 update KB2919355

I have a Yoga13 that had the same issue.  Finally, a MS forum moderator synched me up up with MS support and they applied following fix:

quote ---------------------------------

As per our discussion, below is the link for tool and the command that we suggest to run to find if any system file is missing/corrupt which may be preventing updates from getting installed.

System File checker command: SFC /SCANNOW

System update readiness tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

DISM tool for Windows 8/8.1/2012/2012 R2: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Also, if automatic updates fails during download/expansion phase, I suggest to follow below mentioned steps.

Stop Cryptographic service, Windows update Agent service and Background intelligence transfer service (BITS).

Rename following folders:

systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 (DO NOT rename catroot folder as this will result in no boot situation)

"%systemroot%Software Distribution

Restart all the three services and restart the machine.

Apart from that, as you had mentioned that downloading updates from automatic website is taking hours, I suggest to perform above mentioned steps and then add anti-virus exception for catroot2 and softwaredistribution folder.

We will be proceeding with the closure of this case today, however, if you have any follow up queries/concerns, please do let me know and I assure you to address them on priority.

Thanks

Anurag Sharma |Sr. Technical Lead | Microsoft |

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the future, I would probably go the reinstall route.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 425
Message 4 of 4

Re: Win 8.1 update KB2919355

@Lorob1 wrote:

I have a Yoga13 that had the same issue.  Finally, a MS forum moderator synched me up up with MS support and they applied following fix:

quote ---------------------------------

As per our discussion, below is the link for tool and the command that we suggest to run to find if any system file is missing/corrupt which may be preventing updates from getting installed.

System File checker command: SFC /SCANNOW

System update readiness tool: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

DISM tool for Windows 8/8.1/2012/2012 R2: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

Also, if automatic updates fails during download/expansion phase, I suggest to follow below mentioned steps.

Stop Cryptographic service, Windows update Agent service and Background intelligence transfer service (BITS).

Rename following folders:

systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 (DO NOT rename catroot folder as this will result in no boot situation)

"%systemroot%Software Distribution

Restart all the three services and restart the machine.

Apart from that, as you had mentioned that downloading updates from automatic website is taking hours, I suggest to perform above mentioned steps and then add anti-virus exception for catroot2 and softwaredistribution folder.

We will be proceeding with the closure of this case today, however, if you have any follow up queries/concerns, please do let me know and I assure you to address them on priority.

Thanks

Anurag Sharma |Sr. Technical Lead | Microsoft |

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the future, I would probably go the reinstall route.

The bold lettered phrases in your post according to foneman338 "...My Y500 attempts to install the Win 8.1 update but continually fails. Trying the various posted remedies here and with Microsoft are fruitless as well. The DSIM fix, the sfc scan fix, etc. nothing remedies the problem. ..".

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors