cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ssturb
What's DOS?
Views: 341
Message 1 of 4

Y500 won't boot after shutting down or restart, but will boot after holding down power button

My y500 running windows 10 won't boot after going through the shut down or restart menu on windows 10. It gets stuck at the lenovo splash screen and nothing happens. However, if I hold down the power button to reset the computer when it is stuck on the splash screen, the computer boots up fine on the next try. Anybody know what could be going on?

Thanks.

Guru
Views: 322
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y500 won't boot after shutting down or restart, but will boot after holding down power button

Turn fastboot (fast startup) off in windows 10 advanced power menu

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

ssturb
What's DOS?
Views: 298
Message 3 of 4

Re: Y500 won't boot after shutting down or restart, but will boot after holding down power button

I have turned off fastboot and the problem still persists. Any other ideas?

Guru
Views: 292
Message 4 of 4

Usually this indicates problems with some core window files on the disk. The fastest solution would be to reinstall windows but before that you can try some things

• Repair windows system files: Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type "sfc /scannow" without quotes and then hit enter
  • Check the HDD for errors: Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type "chkdsk C: /f /r /x" without quotes and then hit enter
  • Defrag your HDD
  • Disable and re-enable the hibernation file: Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type "powercfg.exe /hibernate off" without quotes and then hit enter. To re-enable it replace "off" with "on"
  • Launch windows startup repair, through windows recovery
  • Disable quick start up in windows power menu and restore bios default settings
  • In Bios try both UEFI and Legacy settings and be sure the HDD is the first boot device and disable PXE boot

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors