Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
athens424
What's DOS?
Views: 3,835
Message 1 of 10

Y510 DVD RW Drive (E:) problems reading CDs or DVDs

I actually just got my lenovo y510 last week and I love it except that for some reason it won't read CDs or DVDs. Whenever I put one into the drive, it sounds at first like it's reading it, but then does nothing. I have tried several different CDs (no, they're not burned) and I have gone into "Computer" to try and open the E Drive up but the tray then opens up and a window pops up telling me to insert a disc when there is already one in there. I was just wondering if I could get some help or if there is anything I can do before I need to call tech support or have to send it back out. Is there something that I am doing or can try myself? Please give me some advice!! Thank you!
Retired Guru
Views: 3,822
Message 2 of 10

Re: Y510 DVD RW Drive (E:) problems reading CDs or DVDs

Try this fimware.
//help will save the world
athens424
What's DOS?
Views: 3,814
Message 3 of 10

Thank you so much for the tip but the drive is not the same as the Optiarc DVD RW/AD-7560A ATA device.... The drive is a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N ATA Device. And it does say it is running properly but the problems persists.
Retired Guru
Views: 3,811
Message 4 of 10

Sad to hear. Well, there's only one two more options before you send laptop to Lenovo to replace drive.

1) Update BIOS (locate on suppoort site)

2) Reinstall system by NOVO button (press NOVO button when laptop is shut down)

//help will save the world
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,800
Message 5 of 10

Are you able to boot from the drive with any bootable cds / dvds?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

athens424
What's DOS?
Views: 3,796
Message 6 of 10

Ok so honestly, I don't really know what you mean by bootable CDs... I know I'm an idiot but I'm not exactly computer savvy (haha)
Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 3,789
Message 7 of 10

A bootable cd is a cd you can start from, for instance; a Win XP or Vista cd / dvd. These will show a message stating; if you want to start from cd press any key" - if you get this message, the drive works and you don't need to press any key. Other bootable cds are, for example; Recovery discs, Linux live cds and some anti-virus cds

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

brettmurphy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,770
Message 8 of 10

i have the same problem.  it will read a cd or two right after bootup and then it just stops.  when i reboot it will work again for one cd and then..poof gone.
iebgeners
What's DOS?
Views: 1,374
Message 9 of 10

Forget it .. The drive never works..  I too have been facing this problem for 2 yrs now.  I simply use  USB drive .

Y510 is  good except for the drive and the LCD screen which are the drawbacks that made Lenovo to shelve the model.

My best advice Stop trying to fix the Drive and buy an alternative drive .

Thanks

RJ

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,368
Message 10 of 10

if the issue is software, you can fix it by editing registry. but if it's hardware, as you said, no option instead of replacing the unit.

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-V-and-Z-series/can-burn-cd-but-not-DVD/m-p/194296#M17919

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors