Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jekyll316
What's DOS?
Views: 4,791
Message 1 of 6

Y510 Getting no Audio from Realtek Digital Output

I have a Lenovo Y510 Laptop which had been working fine audio wise, but the sound quality has decreased greatly.  I tried to delete my drivers, and re-install the Realtek Digital Output, but I am getting no audio when I run a test of that.  Also, in the Windows Volume Mixer, I can raise and lower the Realtek Digital Output, and no volume changes, as their is nothing coming from the Realtek Digital Output.

When I go to Control Panel>Sounds>Playback, it says my Realtek Digital Output is working... I click the Test button and the green levels show up like something is being played, but i am not hearing it at all.  I have tried to delete the drivers, re-install the Digital Output, etc, and still, the sound quality is terrible. When I reboot after deleting the driver, Windows automatically installs a device driver, and I get a pop up message titled "Utility," which says "OnDevice Added" and I need to click OK about 8 times before it goes away... So, without re-installing my drivers off the CD, Windows installed a driver by itself.  The installed driver comes up as "Speakers," and again, the sound quality is atrocious.  When I look at Control Panel>Sounds - Realtek Digital Output is there, and I test it, and again, the green lights up, but I hear no audio.. Please help!!

*Am running Vista Home Edition

Message Edited by Jekyll316 on 09-22-2008 10:51 AM
plutos
802.11n
Views: 4,761
Message 2 of 6

Re: Y510 Getting no Audio from Realtek Digital Output

The digital output is for output to hardware devices that you have attached to the laptop that could interpret the digital output. For normal purposes, just use the default output. The default on my Y510 is called "Speakers", but that is a translation and the actual wording might be dfferent.
Jekyll316
What's DOS?
Views: 4,744
Message 3 of 6

Ok, Cool.  But what would be the reasoning for my sound quality to decrease majorly?
plutos
802.11n
Views: 4,737
Message 4 of 6

What kind of decrease in quality? Hiss? Click? Pop? Low volume? Distorted sounds?
Jekyll316
What's DOS?
Views: 4,735
Message 5 of 6

It sounds very tin-y and laptop-y I guess is the best way to describe it.  The sound had been crisp, and now the high notes sound screechy.
Retired Guru
Views: 4,715
Message 6 of 6

Your laptop has a SPDIF digital output and headphones hole together - two in one. SPDIF is used when you want to connect your laptop to some videoplayer or some audio Hi-Fi decoder to get 5.1 sound on external speakers.

Default audio output is used when you want to hear your lapop't internal speakers.

If you choose "stereofonic"  in settings you'll get weak sound. Full quality will beonly if you choose "quadrofonic" inRealtek HD properties.

Also try changing Dolby settings and equaliser settings.

//help will save the world

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors