Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
brewmasterthis
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 13,167
Message 621 of 703

Re: Y510 - Replacing Hinges....Howto

My  Ideapad Y530 left hinge sheared in two and my online search brought me here.  From the number of online hits about broken hinges with this series, there will no doubt be plenty of interest in taking apart these laptops. Thanks to Navros' excellent post, I was eventually able to disassemble my Y530 and replace it with hinges from ebay for $14.  I don't want to step on anyone's toes here but I ran into a number of gotchas not mentioned so I compiled a detailed list of instructions for the Y530 along with photos. YMMV for other models. If the admin wants to make this into a KB, you're welcome to it.

*As noted by Navros, TAKE YOUR TIME and watch for hidden ribbon cables and especially PINCHED WIRES AT THE HINGE.  After I reassembled the Y530, I had two pinched wires on both sides that I had to fix. The pinched wire on the left side prevented my laptop from powering up and I thought I killed my laptop!

** Keep track of all screws you remove and where they go. Somehow I ended up with an extra screw and I cannot figure out where it goes.  Because of all the different size screws you will encounter, I recommend storing your screws flat side down (so they don't roll around) in the same geometry you pull them out in.

Pictures can be found at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57954663@N00/sets/72157625624476479/detail/

0) Remove the battery and unplug from the AC power brick.

1) As noted, there is a small slot above the F2 & F3 buttons on the keyboard.  Use a flathead screwdriver and lift it up enough to get your fingernails into the gap and pull the plastic cover up.  Watch out for the ribbon cables on the right side! (pic 001)

2) Leverage up the metal keyboard starting with the side that is now exposed. There is tight resistance at the sides at first so be careful not to bend your keyboard.  There is a ribbon cable underneath so be careful.  I recommend disconnecting the ribbon cable once you have lifted the keyboard to a 45 degree angle. Use a small screwdriver or tweezers to push out the white plastic tabs on both sides (away from the bracket towards the cable). This releases the ribbon cable connector. (pic 002, 003)

3) Finish removing the keyboard. There are tabs near the space bar and I found it helps to push the keyboard down and away at those points.

4) In the recess where the keyboard used to be, remove the small phillips screw where the ALT key was and set aside.  Remember to replace this screw when reassembling. (pic 004)

5) There are 3 cables that need to be disconnected. a) a blue 1/2 inch ribbon cable next to the track pad connector (pic 005). b) a 3 wire white connector next to 2 wider white connectors (pic 006). c) a white 1 inch ribbon cable next to a 2 inch black cable (pic 007). For the ribbon cables, release them as you did in step 2.

6) Turn the laptop over so the bottom is facing up. Remove all the screws marked A, B, C and D. Remove the hard disk cover (small door) and remove the screw hidden under. Remove the large door (long screw) and remove all the black screws underneath including the one holding down the fan. There should be at least 5 screws. Keep your screws organized so you know where they all go back!

Y510 owners can skip step 7...

7) There are two silver phillip head screws hidden by the DVD door. Push a paperclip into the small hole next to the DVD eject button on the door to release the DVD tray (pic 102). Carefully slide out the DVD tray. You will immediately see one hidden silver screw (pic103). Remove and set aside. One of the rails has a tiny phillips screw holding down two small metal parts. Carefully remove this screw and remove the small metal parts (pic 104). Note the orientation of the metal parts as you remove them. You can now slide the metal slider off the plastic rail. Pull the tray out as far as it goes and carefully turn the freed end towards yourself. You can now get at the 2nd hidden silver screw (pic 105). Remove it and set aside with the other one. Close the DVD tray.

8) Turn the laptop on its side with the screen partly open to stabilize it. Work you fingernails into gap between the bottom and the palm rest cover and remove the cover. Take your time and work you way around the cover, turning the laptop to whatever orientation is convenient. I found it helpful to use a small flathead screwdriver in the battery compartment to jimmy it free. There are small plastic brackets in there that need coaxing to come apart. Remove the top plastic cover and set aside.

9) If you are replacing the left hinge (by the AC power jack), you will need to remove 2 screws holding down a small circuit board covering the hinge. There is a sticky conductor on top of the ethernet jack that needs to be peeled off.

10) Remove the 2 rubber pads at the bottom of the screen and 4 plastic diamond shape covers on the sides to uncover the screen screws. Remove these and set aside. Note, the screws are not the same length.

11) You can now pry the bottom of the screen off. There doesn't seem any elegant way to do this other than to separate it at the very bottom and to twist up. In fact, this broke most of the plastic brackets holding it down. When I replaced it, the bottom screws seemed to adequate to hold it in place (pic 202).

12) You now have enough access to the hinges to replace them as needed.  I replaced both since I was here anyway. You can remove the screen if you want but I was able to get the hinges out without doing so. Either way, take great care to MAKE SURE ALL WIRES ARE ROUTED UNDERNEATH THE HINGES AND ARE NOT PINCHED!  There is a nasty metal pin on the hinges that will destroy your wires if you are not careful. After you screw down the new hinges, carefully and visually inspect that the wires are safe while opening and closing the hinges. (pic 203 - 207)

13) Reassemble the laptop in reverse order. If you were careful and organized, all screws will be accounted for.

If you found this post helpful, give it a kudo.

brewmasterthis
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 11,464
Message 622 of 703

Re: Y510 Hinge broken!!!!!

I just finished replacing the hinges on my Y530. I posted details and photos here:

http://forum.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-U-B-V-and-Z-series/Y510-Replacing-Hinges-Howto/m-p/348765/highl...

Assuming the Y510 is similar or perhaps a little easier, this should help anyone who wants to fix it themselves. I got left and right hinges from ebay for $14 shipped so the dollar cost is cheap. If the above instructions are helpful, nominate the thread for the KB and perhaps an admin will make an official solution. Smiley Happy

EDIT: As noted by sandykolu, the Y510 does not have hidden screws in the DVD bay so just skip step 7.

sandykolu
Paper Tape
Views: 11,423
Message 623 of 703

Re: Y510 Hinge Problem :( !!!!

I have a lenovo Y510 that has a hinge problem and is getting progressively worse so much so that the screen now falls flat. It started with the right hinge and now the left hinge is gone bad too. I tried calling the repair customer support, but they refused to help since the laptop is out o f warranty. The supervisor refused to accept that it is a design flaw and was very rude.

brewmasterthis
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 11,387
Message 624 of 703

@sandykolu I believe it is a design problem. Instead of a traditional top hinge, the bottom hinge is subjected to increased leverage forces which eventually breaks the under designed metal hinges. Since you are out of warranty, your only recourse is to have someone repair it (locally) for $$ or fix it yourself. If you have some experience taking things apart and putting them back together, you may want to consider saving yourself some money and getting cheap replacements from eBay. I got a pair of left and right hinges for $14 shipped US and they are the same parts used by the OEM. I posted a link earlier to replacing hinges on a Y530 which should be similar to your model.
sandykolu
Paper Tape
Views: 11,370
Message 625 of 703

@Brewmasterthis,

Your instructions for replacing hinges was awesome. The only change for Y510 was that it did not have the 2 silver philip head screws in step 7. flickr images were too good. I was able to get to the hinges in no time at all, but found that along with the hinges the base plate had some broken plastic where the screws attach. So I need to buy a base case too which is costing something like $150 or more on ebay. So the total expenses are almost half of the laptop price.. not sure if I want to invest so much unless I get lucky and find a cheaper base cover.

Thanks for the help and the quick responses.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 11,354
Message 626 of 703
Moved:

brewmasterthis
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 11,326
Message 627 of 703

Thanks for the feedback sandyklu.

I've updated my post to note the Y510 difference you reported..

gradie54
Paper Tape
Views: 11,281
Message 628 of 703

I am another victim of this design flaw in the Y510. I thought it was as easy as replacing the hinges, but after I opened up the case I came to find that the base was completely shredded on both sides. I'm talking about where the hinge attaches to the bottom of the laptop case. What kind of design was this? It looks like there were 3 hollow plastic cylinder's that you screw into... All 3 on both sides were completely shattered (not to mention the hinge metal was cracked off on both sides). Extremely frustrating to say the least.
crt
Paper Tape
Views: 11,261
Message 629 of 703

Yesterday morning my Y510 LCD screen completely broke from both hinges (left and right) when I went to open up my laptop's screen. The hinges started to slowly break over the last few months. So now the grey wiring is slightly coming out and the bottom panel is slightly cracked where the screws held the hinges together, and now I am unable to power on my Y510 laptop. I called Lenovo support for the first time yesterday explaining that I purchased this Y510 sometime in 2009, but was told that I would need to pay roughly $300 to fix the repairs. Initially I had to pay $80 while on the phone last night for reasons that were not clearly explained to me. Today, I spoke with Lenovo support again and was told that Lenovo had something going for people 6 months out of warranty that would cover the costs for repairs with this known problem on the Y510 models. Well, I tried to explain to the tech that I had no idea such a thing was going on, how was I supposed to know a defect like this was going to happen to me? I did not know this defect with the Y510 models was happening until I Googled "Lenovo Y510 henge problem". I explained to the tech that while I wasn't expecting Lenovo to cover 100% of the costs for these defects being I was out of warranty, I was willing to pay for some of the costs. The tech shut me down and said it is Lenovo policy and that I had no choice, there was nothing that could be done except for me paying the large repairing fee.  I am getting ready to send my laptop to Fed-ex but have no idea how it is I'm going to pay $300+ for the defect repairs when Lenovo repair calls me soon as they receive my Y510. 

Needless to say I am without my laptop that my life revolves around because all my work is on it. Yesterday was the first time I ever had to call Lenovo for support. This Y510 has been solid for me except for this hardware problem. I do think it is unfortunate to lose a customer over something like this.

KeithMOn
What's DOS?
Views: 10,781
Message 630 of 703

Re: Y510 - Replacing Hinges....Howto

I just want to say that I have been looking for a walk through on how to replace the hinges in my Y510 for about a month. This last post was fantastic! The post by brewmasterthis and especially the pictures he provided are all you need.

Took it apart and put it back together with no hiccups what-so-ever!

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors