Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcollins756
Paper Tape
Views: 379
Message 1 of 8

Y510 P Screensaver won't fire

I can't get my screensaver to fire.

I have just reinstalled 8.1 windows and updated bios and chipset and set timeout to 5 minutes and changed to 10 minutes and nothing . I can lock my screen using WIN "L" but nothing seems to work in trying to get the screensaver to fire. BTW, when I lock the screen the display still is on. Nothing seems to shut it off.

I have checked power options. I am out of ideas. Any help is appreciated. 

Guru
Views: 374
Message 2 of 8

Re: Y510 P Screensaver won't fire

Could you post a screenshot of your screensaver settings?

Could you please check "Power Options" for the laptop and post a screenshot of when your screen is set to Switch off?

Control Panel >> Power Options >> Change Plan settings (For current active plan)

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
mcollins756
Paper Tape
Views: 362
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for the response. Here are screen shots of the Power settings for Sleep

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Link to picture/image

Mod comment: Oversized pictures converted to links.

Guru
Views: 355
Message 4 of 8

Very Weird, settings look fine and even after 10 min the laptop is not turning the screen off?

Have you tried different screen savers?

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
mcollins756
Paper Tape
Views: 351
Message 5 of 8

Yes, I have tried multiple screensavers...even blank! It appears that something is keeping windows from invoking the screen saver, I can walk away from my PC for hours and nothing happens. When I lock the screen I get the Windows 8.1 splash screen but that never goes to sleep either. HELLPP!

Guru
Views: 347
Message 6 of 8

Could you open your "Task Manager" and see if there are any weird programs running. Maybe a program which doesnt have a proper description.

Check your startup programs to see if all programs seem to belong to legitimate manufacturers.

You can also go into

Control Panel >> Administrative Tools >> Event Viewer

See if there are any events that are being generated in Windows logs which might be keeping the computer from going to sleep.

Could be any Warnings/errors or a contant event occuring every 30 seconds or minute.

mcollins756
Paper Tape
Views: 331
Message 7 of 8

Task manager and Startup look okay. I think I am narrowing this down. I have the laptop connected to two hp2311x monitors along with an external keyboard and mouse. It appears that the external monitors are somehow the culprit to screen saver not invoking. But the 'why' of it is eluding me.

Thanks for your suggestions. 

Guru
Views: 327
Message 8 of 8

Haha

I wish you had told me your setup before. So, did you try diconnecting from external monitors and the screensaver worked?

Personally, I havent either seen my screensaver ever work on my external TV as well, i use my laptop connected to the TV at all times with hdmi. Weird, huh, never even noticed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors