Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kobetop20
Paper Tape
Views: 8,934
Message 1 of 19

Y510 cpu turbo boost problem=no turbo boost

My new 510p laptop 4700mq cpu can easily go overheat then the turbo boost stoped.Is there a solution to this ?Also the website notebook check found this problem too.Just see the website,the cpu performs much worse than the same cpu of other computers.http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-Notebook.97470.0.html

Can anybody help?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,910
Message 2 of 19

Re: Y510 cpu turbo boost problem=no turbo boost

One way is to use a cooling pad. Another is to reduce the maximum processor state setting by 5% or more.

Highlighted
kobetop20
Paper Tape
Views: 8,904
Message 3 of 19

How to reduce the processor state?Thanks

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 8,885
Message 4 of 19

hi kobetop20,

Your problem might be similar to this thread.

Like what LenBlazer have suggested, check this guide on how to change the maximum processor state.

Also, It is ideal that you keep the maximum processoor state to 99% to prevent the CPU from overclocking that normally causes it to throttle. Alternatively, you can also re-apply a good quality thermal paste to lessen the heat.

Regards,

neokenchi

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

kobetop20
Paper Tape
Views: 8,879
Message 5 of 19

Hi,the newest Throttlestop 5.1 does not even support i7 4700mq cpu.And also I found that the gpu temprature goes to 68 degree centigrade can also cause turbo boost failer even though the cpu is cool.I think it might due to BIOS problem or something,Lenovo should do something to fix it.Also the website notebookcheck found this problem.And,is there some other software can fix this problem?

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 8,867
Message 6 of 19

@kobetop20 wrote:

How to reduce the processor state?Thanks

Control Panel/System and Security/Power Option/Chosen Preferred Plan/Change plan settings/Change advanced power settings/processor power management/Maximum processor state/.

kobetop20
Paper Tape
Views: 8,857
Message 7 of 19

well I tried this but didn't helps.It seems to me that if the cpu goes to 91 degree centigrade or the GPU goes to 67 degree centigrade will both triger the turbo boost  to fail,and I'm waiting for lenovo to give a new bios or something about this.

unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 8,768
Message 8 of 19

ThrottleStop 6.00 beta 1

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6m1i5ege91o7ib2/ThrottleStop_600b1.zip

This version is still a work in progress but it supports the new Haswell CPUs.  Disabling BD PROCHOT if it is enabled might help out with some of your issues.  Post some screen shots if it works for you.

gdstoichkov
Punch Card
Views: 6,890
Message 9 of 19

ok guys..before a moderator bans this message I`ll tell you this:

we all have read how intel says TB works and how is controlled....well..

the CPU power menagement can control it under the advance power settings - you just need to play for a lil bit with the max/min processor state.

Plus keep in mind that the last Lenovo energy management controls that as well. The three power states have different min processor speeds. What I mean? Well choose the Hihg performance with the "blue train", open task manager and check the clock - on i7 it`s 3.3-3.4Ghz all the time. Choose balanced "red car" and the processor will drop down to 0.8Ghz. That is because you can over or downclock it using the power menagement options for the processor speed. So if you experience some "problems" with the i7 or from the heat that is coming from it - the task menager is your best friend to monitor the processor and the advance power settings are your best friend to calibrate and change that.

kobetop20
Paper Tape
Views: 6,876
Message 10 of 19

Y 510p Turbo

Actually the CPU frequency dropped not only by CPU temp but also by GPU temp. When GPU temp are over 68 degree, cpu get no Trubo even when cpu temp is just 50 degree. That's lenovo's BIOS problem.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors