Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Varroa
802.11n
Views: 2,272
Message 11 of 19

Re: Y 510p Turbo

Undervolting your CPU and changing the turbo ratio can also fix things. I undervolted mine by -80mv and I am using 34x,32x,30x,29x ratios and mine can run MUCH longer on full 29x (over an hour) without overheating. I can also run at at the full single core 34x without overheating at all now.

gdstoichkov
Punch Card
Views: 2,255
Message 12 of 19

Well, mate, correct me if I'm wrong, but the CPU and the GPU are on the same heatsink so it's normal to have almost the same temps. Plus the Intel turbo boost is suppose to downclock the core speed when heat goes high. It's absolutly normal and in order. Even if you make min processor state at 100 you will still observe downclocks down to 2.4Ghz under load and temperature. I can make a tepm/core graph log if you want on i7 if you want
unclewebb
802.11n
Views: 2,244
Message 13 of 19

Intel designed their CPUs so they can use full Turbo Boost right up until they reach the thermal throttling temperature which is 100C.  It is Lenovo that decided to disable Turbo Boost in the Y510P and this seems to be triggered by power consumption, not temperature.  It is not normal at all.  Kind of like buying a Ferrari and finding out that the local dealer put a governor on it so you can not use it at its full rated speed.

kobetop20
Paper Tape
Views: 2,234
Message 14 of 19

That's true man. But the CPU just get to 60 and GPU get to 68, that should be far from clock dropping

Moderator Note; subject edited; reverted to original

gdstoichkov
Punch Card
Views: 2,225
Message 15 of 19

hmm...well from what I have read not even Intel knows exactly or at least they say it`s a secret.

There is very interesting  conversation with one Intel engineer who explains how i7 are made. Every single processor is different cause of the technology they use. It`s tested after it`s creation and after the tests they decide wich i7 name will carry that i7. There are no same i7 if you get my idea...like there is no two of a kind car engines.

From what I know: ( taken from Intel site)

Availability and frequency upside of Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 state depends upon a number of factors including, but not limited to the following:

• Type of workload
  • Number of active cores
  • Estimated current consumption
  • Estimated power consumption
  • Processor temperature

The i7 4700MQ if you are talking for that one is 45w..correct me if I`m wrong.

I think it`s calculated for TDP rating of 45W

if you say that yours at min power processor state fixed at 100% is downgrading when it reaches 60C ( to be honest writing this I never checked mine Smiley Happy ) sounds like power consumption issue. That is not a hardware problem I`m pretty sure but it`s not normal. The only answear to this is... change your laptop adapter charger.

On battery it is not posibble to use the turbo boost cause of consuption restrictions. Don`t expect turbo boost for high loads runing on the laptop battery. ( you want be able to use your GT755m or SLI without the charger cause of the same thing)

Example taken from cnet.com:

"In a laptop, the potential for quad-core 3.2GHz operation just can't be realized. Intel selected the 55W TDP specification for the 920XM because that's a practical limit for a laptop processor. Combine that number with the rest of the chipset, the memory, a high-end graphics chip, and a big high-resolution LCD panel, and the whole laptop might be consuming 80W-100W when running all-out."

So my advice is - get the 170w or the 190w laptop charger or ask from a friend to test it. I`m 100% sure you will see a big difference.

I`m with 170w rated 190W and I`m pretty happy with productivity. I did not overclocked mine  4700MQ manually and with the TB I get 3.4Ghz.....got higher temps on idle thou.

If you are lucky you can get a 170w for 29.99 - check the Lenovo shop

gdstoichkov
Punch Card
Views: 2,206
Message 16 of 19

Ok I checked mine. It downs to 2.35Ghz when it goes above 80C. Which for me does not matter cause with the apps I`m running it goes up to 80 in less than a minute. And it looks like the i7 can`t throtle up cause with the 2.35 it holds that 84-5C. Imagine if it runs 3.4. I`ll go for watercooling when my warranty is over.... I guess. And that is with one of the best cooling pads. Without it I have seen it to go like 94-98C. 

kobetop20
Paper Tape
Views: 2,181
Message 17 of 19

来自Guangming Jing的邮件

Well you can also check it with furmark turned on. CPU could drop clock after the GPU get to 68 degree. Even if you turned the ultrabay gpu so that it get to 68, the same result will happen.
gdstoichkov
Punch Card
Views: 2,169
Message 18 of 19

Re: 来自Guangming Jing的邮件

so you have the SLI version? You are using the 170w adapter right?

@kobetop20 wrote:
Well you can also check it with furmark turned on. CPU could drop clock after the GPU get to 68 degree. Even if you turned the ultrabay gpu so that it get to 68, the same result will happen.

Well if your GPU is 68C your CPU should be around 75-80C cause of the same Heatsink. And I don`t think that TB has something to do with the temperature of the GPU alone except form the above indirect connection. I think you PC is either normal or you have some consumption/power shortfall.

I have used a lot of programs to monitor. Now I probably use only MSI Afterburner cause I downclocked my GT755 SLI to 980 Ghz clock core. ( BF4 gives direct X hung_device error if  they are not underclocked)

I use BF4 to load the system- high or ultra settings. The max temperatures I get are:

- CPU 87C

- GPU 78C

- GPU 86C ( ultrabay  ) And that are the worst temps I havve seen..and I use cooling pad. Max temps very and sometimes are 3,4C less

For minimum I get:

-CPU 37C

-GPU 33C

-GPU 31C

Can you tell me if under load when your i7 is downgrading to 2.35Ghz what are your max temps on CPUs and GPUs? Are you using a cooling pad?

At my point of view is very normal the i7 to act like this for me. Even on 2.35Ghz the temps are rising till 87C as you can see (with cooling pad) and it takes him less than a minute to go to that state. So yes I`m using the TB for 20 seconds maybe Smiley Happy

BUT if your i7 is downgrading to 2.35 and the max temps are 60 or 70C well that will not be normal

Without coolling pad on idle or with small stuff loaded or browsing the CPU is around 50C. (  47-53)

Vinay3031
Paper Tape
Views: 163
Message 19 of 19

Turbo boost problem

@kobetop20 wrote:

My new lenovo IdeaPad 330 i5 8th gen with mx150, the turbo boost not working properly when I play games and heavy tasking it use base clock only and thermal are very stable I used the AC room to test it. Last night I found that my turbo boost is disabled automatically by the system itself and I checked it using real-time monitoring. The tubro has to works when power is plug in and not on battery.

So , I installed the win10 1903 in another drive and install no acpi driver from Lenovo site and till turbo works as it has to do. If it is not work for you please tell me!

Error: may be there is an bug in Lenovo's acpi driver for this model.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors