Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jinotad
Serial Port
Views: 254
Message 1 of 6

Y510P, Bluescreen on cold boot, restarts just fine

Hello.  I've been having an issue for a long time, over a year I believe. Even after installing a new hard drive, and doing a fresh install of Windows 8.1 Pro, it has started doing it again.

When the computer starts from a cold boot, powering up for the first time, it takes a while to "think".  After a few minutes, the computer will flash a blue screen, then restart the computer, and boot into windows just fine.  After telling windows to not auto restart on a blue screen, the message was of the nature of "no hard drive/OS found".  With how much effort it took to get back into windows with this problem, and windows not auto restarting after a blue screen, I don't really want to try and get the exact phrasing.

Originally, this laptop came with Windows 7, and I upgraded it to 8.1 and I never had a problem.  It came with the SSD, and I believe I had Lenovo install windows on the SSD.  Before I sent the laptop in under warranty due to using the battery power gauge reset, I reset the laptop back to factory.  After getting the laptop back from Lenovo, I reinstalled windows directly to 8.1, and this problem eventually appeared.

With the hard drive failure I had been experiencing, I was thinking that that may have been the problem.  But after replacing the hard drive, and doing a completely fresh install of 8.1, the problem went away.  However, with more and more windows updates, the computer takes a longer time to start, (which I think is normal) but it is once again doing the cold boot > thinking > blue screen > restart > boots into windows.

If the computer restarts from windows, it boots into windows no problem, it only blue screens from the cold boot.  Something I read, about the boot instructions being placed in the first sector, of the first disk, makes me wonder if the issue might be the "disk 0 SSD", and the rapid storage not being set up properly.  (I've installed the Intel Rapid storage, while the SSD did not have a partition, and it looks to have partitioned it now, but there is no D: drive like there used to be.)

Any ideas?  Has anyone else ever had this trouble with 8.1 and Lenovo y510P?

Guru
Views: 238
Message 2 of 6

Re: Y510P, Bluescreen on cold boot, restarts just fine

Disable quick boot in windows settings and see if that still happens. 

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Jinotad
Serial Port
Views: 230
Message 3 of 6

I believe I tried that in the past, but I'll try it again.
Guru
Views: 228
Message 4 of 6

I would also recommend to give windows 10 a try

I am a volunteer in this forum and also a lenovo user. If i helped you, click on the kudos button!

Jinotad
Serial Port
Views: 222
Message 5 of 6

Disabling quick boot did not have any noticeable effect on start up.
Guru
Views: 214
Message 6 of 6

On cold boot and before blue screen enter the BIOS and check if the ssd is detected there. Also did you install windows as MBR or GPT? Are you on UEFI or Legacy?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors