Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
brayjd
Paper Tape
Views: 5,222
Message 1 of 7

Y510P - How can I check the SSD Cache size?

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of a Y510P but cannot see anywhere how I can check the SSD Cache size.

The laptop should have come with a 8GB SSD Cache but how do you check this?

Many Thanks,

Jon

brayjd
Paper Tape
Views: 5,174
Message 2 of 7

Re: Y510P - How can I check the SSD Cache size?

Contacted Lenovo Tech Support and apparently there's no way to check! Very strange as I wouldn't be happy if I'd purchased a larger SSD Cache. The Hard Drive on the Y510P comes with 1TB storage and 8 GB SSD Cache as standard.

Anyones else have similar issues about seeing their SSD Cache size?

Thanks,

Jon

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 5,165
Message 3 of 7

hi Jon,

As per the reviews on these machines  the caching method used by the Y510p is Expresscache. To test if Expresscache is working, open a command prompt and type eccmd -info. It should return a result like this:

- Link to picture

From there you can see SSD cache stats.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

brayjd
Paper Tape
Views: 5,156
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the response. The ExpressCache software is not on the Y510P and the Lenovo Support pages don't indicate it's available for the device. Am I ok downloading it from http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?DocID=DS035460 Thanks, Jon

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 5,133
Message 5 of 7

hi Jon,

it won't hurt the system if you try to install the Expresscache software from the link that you posted. You may also refer to this guide as a reference in configuring Expresscache.

Regards

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

dbblacksburg
Paper Tape
Views: 5,120
Message 6 of 7

Brayjd, I, too have just received my Y510p, and after reading your post, became curious as well. After trying all of the same things you did, without any good results, I went into the device manager and got the part number of the hard drive, and Googled it. Turns out mine is a hybrid SSD/HD with an 8 GB SSD cache built-in to the drive. A hybrid has the SSD totally self-contained in the HD itself, and requires no external software to run. That's why we couldn't find any information on the size - as far as the rest of the computer is concerned the, SSD is invisible. Try Googling the part number of your hard drive. Hopefully this will answer the question for you, too.
brayjd
Paper Tape
Views: 5,097
Message 7 of 7

dbblacksburg, Many thanks for your reply. This answers the question. My Y510P is fitted with a STL1000LM014. Many Thanks again. Jon

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/internal-hard-drives/solid-state-hybrid/laptop-solid-state-hybrid-drive...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors