Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jinotad
Serial Port
Views: 812
Message 1 of 7

Y510P Possible harddrive failure

I have been getting a lot of "pauses" of late. Not hard on "freezes" but more of super long delays, causing me to force shutdown when I get desperate. I'm thinking that the hard drive might be failing, and so looking at getting a new hard drive, and finding someone to replace it. Ether having what can be kept copied onto the new hard drive, or perhaps put onto an external hard drive. I was hoping someone could give me insight/suggestion for this. I purchased the laptop around 3 years ago, and all warranties expired last year.

~~~~~

Lately, I will notice programs will stop responding. When I look at the Task Manager, it will show "Firefox (Not Responding)" for example, I can try and end task, but that has no immediate effect. If I try to open up anything else, it too "pauses" and may take a LONG time to open up. Messing with the task manager too much will cause it too, to stop responding for a long time.

Eventually, Firefox will close, and things start behaving as normal. Though this can take 5+ minutes to never to solve its issue. I decided to check the event viewer and I'm seeing a lot of:

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block.

-

This "pausing" has happened to me the last two times I've tried writing this post. During this last time I got a few different errors.

"wuaueng.dll (1152) SUS20ClientDataStore: A request to write to the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" at offset 216465408 (0x000000000ce70000) for 32768 (0x00008000) bytes has not completed for 36 second(s). This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem."

"wuaueng.dll (1152) SUS20ClientDataStore: A request to write to the file "C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" at offset 216465408 (0x000000000ce70000) for 32768 (0x00008000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (36 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem."

I tried to do a check disk over night; however, it never makes it past 9% to 14%. This is leaving it to run for 10 plus hours while I was at work. When performing the check in windows recovery command prompt, it was returning a lot of "unable to access" type messages, and estimating 48 hours for the check to finish. It seemed to have restarted the computer several times (I don't actually know, but it was at 9 % when I left, and came back to it being stuck at 2%)

(Took me a while to get the computer to STOP checking whenever the computer booted, as it would never finish). This scan check, and the problems I had with it, and leaving it running for so long; I feel damaged the drive further. Causing this "pausing" to occur more frequently and severely.

-

A semi-separate problem, but possibly related; for a long time, since before this year started, I've had issues starting the computer. From a cold boot, Lenovo "thinks" for several minutes before reaching a blue screen of death, stating that there is no hardware. Then the laptop restarts, and then boots up normally. (As of late, it has been taking longer and longer to start up. Upwards to around 10-20 minutes) But this has been occurring long before any of the pausing issues.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 785
Message 2 of 7

Re: Y501P Possible harddrive failure

I just want more info/clarification.

1. What OS are you using?

2. Are your drives in RAID configuration?

3. Is your unit 501P or 510P?

Jinotad
Serial Port
Views: 774
Message 3 of 7

Y510P, sorry.  The laptop came with windows 7, from school I got a widnows 8 licence, which I further upgraded to 8.1

As far as I know of, they should not be in any RAID.  Though I've attached a screenshot of the Disk Managment screen.

I believe origonally, my windows was installed on the SSD drive; however, when I used the One-Key recoverey and reset the laptop to factory condition before sending it into Lenovo for repairs in July 2014, the OS was installed to the HDD.  Now the only thing the SSD contains is the drivers folder, and Lenovo's One-Key app.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 763
Message 4 of 7

@Jinotad wrote:

Y510P, sorry.  The laptop came with windows 7, from school I got a widnows 8 licence, which I further upgraded to 8.1

As far as I know of, they should not be in any RAID.  Though I've attached a screenshot of the Disk Managment screen.

I believe origonally, my windows was installed on the SSD drive; however, when I used the One-Key recoverey and reset the laptop to factory condition before sending it into Lenovo for repairs in July 2014, the OS was installed to the HDD.  Now the only thing the SSD contains is the drivers folder, and Lenovo's One-Key app.

Thank you for responding to my inquiry. The reason I'm asking about the RAID configuration is because of your statement "

Eventually, Firefox will close, and things start behaving as normal. Though this can take 5+ minutes to never to solve its issue. I decided to check the event viewer and I'm seeing a lot of:

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

The device, \Device\Harddisk1\DR1, has a bad block."

Looking also at the attached disk management picture, Disk 0 is the cached drive and Disk 1 is your system and data drive. Although you have the drive D it is part of Disk 1. What is strange in the partitions of disk 1 is that there are 4 partitions between C and D. I think there should only be one if you have Win 8.1 and none if you have Win 8.0.

Jinotad
Serial Port
Views: 740
Message 5 of 7

Re: Y510P Possible harddrive failure

After doing a disc cleanup, SFC /scannow, and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth,

I was able to do a chkdsk c: /f

It scanned the first 68% rather quickley, and then was considerably slow after that; however, it did manage to perform a complete check.  There were no problems found, though there is around 500kb of bad memory.  Hoping this is a good sign, and that perhaps the problem is not with the hard drive itself, but perhaps something that can be fixed.

Any thoughts?

I'm currently thinking of getting an external hard drive, and then performing a fresh install.

LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 737
Message 6 of 7

@Jinotad wrote:

After doing a disc cleanup, SFC /scannow, and Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth,

I was able to do a chkdsk c: /f

It scanned the first 68% rather quickley, and then was considerably slow after that; however, it did manage to perform a complete check.  There were no problems found, though there is around 500kb of bad memory.  Hoping this is a good sign, and that perhaps the problem is not with the hard drive itself, but perhaps something that can be fixed.

Any thoughts?

I'm currently thinking of getting an external hard drive, and then performing a fresh install.

I agree to the running of sfc/scannow and the dism....but not to the running of chkdsk x:/f since it can further deteriote the possible problem of a physical hdd (if it has).

As stated earlier re partitions you also have that problem but I don't have anything to say what effect it has on the running of your system. It may have an effect in restoration later on (I'm not sure).

KarmaMechanic
Punch Card
Views: 554
Message 7 of 7

@Jinotad wrote:

I have been getting a lot of "pauses" of late. Not hard on "freezes" but more of super long delays, causing me to force shutdown when I get desperate. I'm thinking that the hard drive might be failing, and so looking at getting a new hard drive, and finding someone to replace it. Ether having what can be kept copied onto the new hard drive, or perhaps put onto an external hard drive. I was hoping someone could give me insight/suggestion for this. I purchased the laptop around 3 years ago, and all warranties expired last year.

~~~~~

Lately, I will notice programs will stop responding. When I look at the Task Manager, it will show "Firefox (Not Responding)" for example, I can try and end task, but that has no immediate effect. If I try to open up anything else, it too "pauses" and may take a LONG time to open up. Messing with the task manager too much will cause it too, to stop responding for a long time.

I exprienced very similar symptoms just prior to the failure of the Seagate 1TB + 24gb SSD combo drive that came with my y510p. I'd advise anyone expriencing such symptoms to immediately backup all of their important data on a seperate drive before any such failure has a chance to occur.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors