italy

126 Signins

877 Page Views

• Views: 877
  • Message 1 of 14

Y510P SLI unusable, constant crashes

2014-06-13, 21:22 PM

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Y510P laptop with 2x Geforce GT 755M and an i7-4700MQ mainly for gaming, and I'm at my wit's end.

Basically, enabling SLI in the Nvidia control panel causes games to crash within minutes. It doesn' seem to be related to overheating.

I've tried Borderlands 2 and Sniper Elite v2, as well as the Unigine Heaven 4.0 benchmark on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 7: every single time, after a seemingly random amount of time (but never more than 30 minutes), the program just crashes to desktop, but as soon as I turn off SLI everything runs fine. Graphic settings are quite high in all cases.

The temperatures do get quite high (up to 97°C), but the crashes have been happening anywhere between 65 and 97°C, not at a set temperature.

I've tried the Nvidia drivers versions 337.88 (latest as of writing this post) and 327.62 (from the Lenovo website); both crash, though I haven't touched any settings outside of the "Set SLI and PhysX configuration" screen.

In case it matters I remember that the very first time the problem happened, just after crashing to desktop, a notification popped up 3 times about how the Nvidia driver had stopped responding and had been restored. The second time I got a BSOD, and from then onwards the programs have just been crashing.

Also, I have infrequently been hearing single short beeps coming from the computer at seemingly random times (often while the computer was idle), but no error messages whatsoever.

The power adapter is a 170W model, if it matters.

I also noticed through GPU-Z that the two GPUs have different vbios versions: the ultrabay card has the newest, and it's the same version as the update available on the Lenovo website.

If I've forgotten any useful information please ask! Any help is appreciated, even basic things that I may have forgotten to do! I'm getting really really frustrated with this issue as the main reason I bought this model was its 2nd video card, but as it stands it is unusable. I'm even considering asking for a refund at this point...

Options

3496 Posts

04-02-2014

MX

2520 Signins

39829 Page Views

• Views: 39829
  • Message 2 of 14

Re: Y510P SLI constant crashes

2014-06-13, 21:37 PM

You have tried several options which I think is correct. You have the latest drivers which is also fine. The power adapter of 170W also is good.

The beeps you are hearing depict a problem with the Motherboard (Beep from a system is an error message). You may want to do more research and find what those beep codes mean. Just google beep codes, find your BIOS type and try to trace the problem those beeps are telling you.

Another thing, you can try is use a cooling pad to keep temps down. Heat can cause severe damage to graphics cards and CPUs.

Finally, and the last solution is a restore. You may want to backup all your important data especially My Documents and Local files. Since the drivers could have been corrupted, a system restore should definitely solve your problem. If it doesn't then it would be a hardware problem with your Ultrabay card.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

27 Posts

06-13-2014

italy

126 Signins

877 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2014-06-16, 22:44 PM
Thanks for answering! I forgot to mention that I am in fact using a cooling pad (Coolermaster U2).
I tried googling the beep codes, but all the results are about beeps during POST...
Unfortunately I can't do a proper factory restore because I unwittingly formatted all partitions when I installed windows 8.1. I guess I'll have to send the laptop in to tech support if this continues.
Options

3496 Posts

04-02-2014

MX

2520 Signins

39829 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2014-06-17, 4:29 AM

Have you tried taking out your Ultrabay GPU and placing it in again.

If that doesnt work, all you can do is send the laptop for repairs to Lenovo. Also, do mention that the games crash while playing in SLI mode, so that they understand your problem.

Make it as clear as possible for Lenovo to understand your issue, otherwise you may not be satisfied with their service.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Options

27 Posts

06-13-2014

italy

126 Signins

877 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2014-06-17, 11:35 AM
I have tried removing and replacing the ultrabay card a few times, but no luck.
I'm actually about to make a video to demonstrate the crashes for customer service. I figured it's the best way to go about it since the problems aren't immediately apparent when using the computer. Still, an awful lot of trouble to get a new computer to work...
Anyway, rockykoston, since you have two 755Ms too: can I ask how they're performing? I've never had a SLI system before so I don't really know what to expect! Do you use it a lot for gaming/heavy graphic applications? Is it stable? Does it get very hot? Thank you for all your help!
Options

382 Posts

11-13-2013

Canada

684 Signins

5978 Page Views

• Views: 5978
  • Message 6 of 14

2014-06-17, 12:23 PM

Sound like an overheating issue to me. Probably from the ultrabay having poor paste on the GPU. You might need to RMA if you have tried all the other options. Did you do a full system restore? (Sorry, didn't read your first post if you did).

Options

3496 Posts

04-02-2014

MX

2520 Signins

39829 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2014-06-17, 12:55 PM

I will answer your queries in points -

1) SLI configuration is performing great. With single GT755M I could play games at Med/High settings with ~ 35fps

Now, with SLI enabled I get around ~50fps with Very High settings.

2) I use my laptop primarily for gaming, watching movies, youtube etc. (Basically for Multimedia consumption, no work). I play games like Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Thief, Dead Space 3, FIFA etc.

3) To maintain SLI stability, you need to take some steps and be a bit aware of what going on in the system. Try to benchmark the game with optimal settings, so that the GPU does not get too hot. Mostly I run GPU-z and Real Temp for a couple of times, until I find the most suitable settings for gaming.

Ultrabay GPU can go upwards of 85 degrees, maybe 90 even if not taken care, which can ultimately lead to system instability, crashes and damage. I like to keep my ultrabay at around 85, which seems to me an optimal temp, atleast for now.

Also, you need to know which games use SLI and not try to force the graphical settings too high. Suppose GTA 4 does not use SLI, so if someone does not know it, they would be baffled by its performance at Very High settings.

Let me know if you need more information. There is always more to learn about SLI :) , i hope you get your laptop fixed and just try to keep the temps down.

Options

27 Posts

06-13-2014

italy

126 Signins

877 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2014-06-18, 12:34 PM
@rockykoston: Thanks! Sounds like the Y510p is a good laptop after all, but using SLI requires some tinkering (which is fine, I was probably naive thinking it would work with everything right away). So that's good to hear.

Anyway, I might be onto something. Updating the Intel HD and chipset drivers (with the latest versions from Intel, not from the Lenovo website) seems to have fixed the beeps, but it's probably too early to tell.
As for the crashes, I've been looking at some logs and I think, maybe, it might have been the CPU's fault all along: it starts working at a high frequency, after awhile it gets hot, then the frequency drops and crashes happen. I'll look into it some more this evening.

@Varroa: It's probably not the GPUs overheating as it crashes even when they are at ~75°C. But I've read in another thread that you've undervolted your laptop and stopped the turbo boost. I want to try doing the same, but I'm completely new to this. Could you give me some pointers?
Options

382 Posts

11-13-2013

Canada

684 Signins

5978 Page Views

• Views: 5978
  • Message 9 of 14

2014-06-18, 12:41 PM

wrote:
: It's probably not the GPUs overheating as it crashes even when they are at ~75°C. But I've read in another thread that you've undervolted your laptop and stopped the turbo boost. I want to try doing the same, but I'm completely new to this. Could you give me some pointers?

I didn't actualyl stop the turboboost, I made mine kick in and stay in for longer periods by undervolting mine. Just download the intel XTU utility and try undervolting your CPU, iGPU and CPU cache. Start at -50mv for each and then bump up the CPU undervolt (while doing stress test) until you get instability. Then play with your multipiers. Mine are now set at 36x,31x,30x,29x for 1,2,3,4 cores. When running single core mine now goes to 3.6Ghz (default is 3.4Ghz) and when all 4 cores are turbing they are at 2.9Ghz (which is lower than default).

Options

3496 Posts

04-02-2014

MX

2520 Signins

39829 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2014-06-18, 13:56 PM

I think if you are completely new then you should do a lot of reading and research before undervolting your CPU. It is a critical process and can cause permanent damage is not done in a controlled manner. (Undervolting and Overclocking are mostly for advanced users and should not be tampered with, unless you are sure about what you are doing)

What my suggestion would be, is to keep the graphics settings to an optimal level, do not try to go for Very High or Ultra settings in graphically demanding games. The SLI can support it (I have tried Ultra in Far Cry 3) but its not good for the laptop (Thats why many people prefer desktops, since you can have super cooling techniques).

Just an FYI, Far Cry 3 crashed on my laptop last night as I was playing at very High settings, seemed to be related to a response error from my SSD, but I tuned down the graphics a bit and it worked fine after that.

Also, monitor your CPU temps using Real Temp, Any temperature over 90 is a warning sign and I would be very concerned if they go over 100 degree celsius.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete