Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackScalia95
What's DOS?
Views: 475
Message 1 of 10

Y510P - Windows 7 from USB cd/dvd drive or USB stick

Hello All,

I'd like to install Win7 from USB on Y510P but did not manage to do so. Went through several threads in the Internet, but never found a solution for this specific model.

I've already tried installation from both:
- bootable cd/dvd from the cd/dvd drive connected thru USB
- bootable USB stick

BIOS options which I've been using:
- Boot Mode: Legacy Mode
- Boot Priority: Legacy First
- USB Boot: Enabled
- Legacy boot sequence - my pendrive or cd/dvd usb drive as first

Even though, every single time when the Windows Installer is loaded and I am starting the installation, I am getting an error "A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now". I understand there are some drivers missing for USB then.

From support.lenovo.com I downloaded all drivers for:
- USB 3.0 Driver for Windows 7 (32, 64bit)
- Genesys USB Mass Storage Device for Windows 7 (32, 64 bit)
- Intel Chipset Driver for Windows 7 (32, 64-bit)
- Intel Mgmt Engine interface for Windows 7 (32, 64bit)

In one of them I found SATA AHCI Controller (photo attached), but for this entry and all of the rest, I am gettin error message that no new devices have been found because of this driver.
20180804_151607.jpgNo drivers from support Lenovo applicableAppreciate your help on this.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 452
Message 2 of 10

Re: Y510P - Windows 7 from USB cd/dvd drive or USB stick

@jackScalia95 wrote:

I'd like to install Win7 from USB on Y510P but did not manage to do so  ....  I am getting an error "A required CD/DVD drive device is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please insert it now".

I am not familiar with your laptop model, but this error is usually caused by the Windows 7 install image lacking the drivers necessary to operate the USB sockets.  You need to "slip-stream" the relevant USB drivers into the install image.  Intel provide a tool to help you do this:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25476/Windows-7-USB-3-0-Creator-Utility

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 446
Message 3 of 10

Last time I looked Intel had taken down that USB creator utility - and that seems to still be the case.  Do you have another link?

The driver can be added using DISM - but that's a pain:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103541

Another trick that sometimes works - if the primary drive can be accessed via the browse option when that missing driver error comes up: use a live Linux (or other bootable tool - or even the OS currently on the drive) to copy (not install) the needed driver to the primary drive.  Browse to it when needed.  This of course doesn't work when an additional driver is needed to access the primary drive - but for the Y510p it may be an option.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 438
Message 4 of 10

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

Last time I looked Intel had taken down that USB creator utility - and that seems to still be the case.

I was not aware of that; thank you for mentioning it.

Gigabyte produced a similar tool, so the original poster may be able to use that.  I have just been looking (briefly!) to see if I can find a link for the tool.  This page gives instructions:

https://www.cybernetman.com/kb/article/how-to-slipstream-usb-3-0-drivers-into-windows-7-installation...

but the link on that page for the Gigabyte tool gives an invalid security certificate on my system (using Firefox), so I have not downloaded it.  I am not going to provide any links, as I don't want to specify the address of a site that may contain malware in its downloads. The original poster should use a search engine to search for something like:

gigabyte windows 7 installation tool

Then he can decide for himself whether he wants to risk downloading the tool from a site that is not an official Gigabyte site (even if it has Gigabyte in the name).

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 434
Message 5 of 10

I found a link on the official Gigabyte web site (I have a Gigabyte motherboard waiting to be installed with Windows 7 in a new system, so I need this tool myself):

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-Z170MX-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-dl-utility

The download that you want is the "Windows USB Installation Tool".

jackScalia95
What's DOS?
Views: 421
Message 6 of 10

As you see in my first post, I am able to browse my USB stick so I can put drivers there directly. So how to make them available to the installer is not an issue. The thing is... I cannot find correct drivers! This model - Y510P, has motherboard from Lenovo https://pl.empowerlaptop.com/p/lenovo-y510p-motherboard/ which, as per my understanding, means that I cannot use any tool from Intel or Gigabyte Smiley Sad

At support.lenovo.com I found USB drivers for Win7, but again, as stated in the first post - the installer shows the message that they're not identifying any new device in the system - which basically means they're useless.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 415
Message 7 of 10

@jackScalia95 wrote:

As you see in my first post, I am able to browse my USB stick...

Sorry, I missed that Smiley Sad

If you can browse to the stick that error is not from missing USB drivers.  We tend to assume missing USB 3.0 drivers when that message shows up, since it is the problem 99% of the time.

ISTR a couple of other explanations for the error but The Google is failing me.  I'll dig into it as time permits.

[edit to add] Just tossing stuff at the wall: is your primary drive MBR or GPT?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 408
Message 8 of 10

@jackScalia95 wrote:

I am able to browse my USB stick so I can put drivers there directly  ....  the installer shows the message that they're not identifying any new device in the system

You might be right, but the error that you are getting is precisely the error that occurs when you have not slip-streamed the USB drivers into the install image.

You are in the fortunate position that a full set of Windows 7 drivers is available for your laptop on the Lenovo web site. So of course  these are the right drivers. The problem is that you are not using the correct procedure that allows Windows to find them.

When the USB memory stick or Windows DVD starts to boot, the system uses the BIOS to access the device.  The BIOS is primitive and has just enough understanding to load blocks from the memory stick or DVD and then start executing them.  This starts the Windows install process.  But at some point, Windows needs proper drivers to access the memory stick or DVD. You cannot browse for these -- they need to be part of the install image.  Where "browsing for drivers" does  work is for the target device (for example, if you wanted to install Windows 7 on a PCI-E SSD; Windows 7 includes SATA drivers, but is too old to include PCI-E drivers for an SSD).

I have not used the Gigabyte tool, but I believe that it works on any  system (you don't need Gigabyte hardware in order to be able to use it).  But if you believe that you can browse for the USB drivers during the install, then continue trying to do that.  Let us know if it works.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 398
Message 9 of 10

The Y510p has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.  It should be possible to rule out the USB 3.0 issue by using a 2.0 port - if that hasn't been done already.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410py510p_ug_english.pdf

Z.

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 394
Message 10 of 10

@zoltanthegypsy wrote:

The Y510p has both USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.  It should be possible to rule out the USB 3.0 issue by using a 2.0 port.

Unfortunately that does not work with certain generations of Intel chipsets.  In my 700-15ISK (Sky Lake generation), the one USB2 socket is operated by the same controller or driver as the two USB3 sockets.  Consequently, the USB2 socket does not work when trying to install Windows 7 (yes, I did try that when I first got my 700-15ISK).

Older laptops may have separate USB controllers for USB2 and USB3, and so your suggestion may work for them.  Newer laptops no longer have USB2 sockets(?).  I don't know what applies to the Y510P.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors