Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Illuminaughty
Paper Tape
Views: 915
Message 1 of 2

Y510P default overclock problem?

Hello everyone, I'm a bit of a noob to owning a laptop as high end/involved as this one, but I'm trying to learn, and I've been gradually going through my ideapad and fixing all the issues that I've seen and have heard mentioned by others. I noticed in my resource monitor (because my fan started spinning) that high performance mode seems to overclock the cpu frequency, causing it to reach 130% of the max. Is this bad for the computer? I don't understand why Lenovo would ship a computer with a default overclock. As of now I switched to balanced mode, as the fan running irritates me a bit, and out of concern for heat issues, but am I worrying too much or is there a way to stop this, as I prefer to run on High Performance mode?

Thanks in advance guys.

Highlighted
cbautis2
Bit Torrent
Views: 886
Message 2 of 2

Re: Y510P default overclock problem?

It's Intel turbo boost technology in action. It automatically overclocks the CPU to make the processing faster at the expense of fan noise. I personally disabled mine and only activates it when gaming since web browsing doesn't need full CPU power.
Lenovo Y470: i7-2670QM | 8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz RAM | Nvidia GeForce GT 550M | 500 GB 7200 RPM Seagate HDD | ASUS PCE-AC56 802.11ac Network Adapter | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors