Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shaibarzel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,494
Message 1 of 8

Y510P is working slow after formatting

Hi,

Just before im losing my mind i turn to you guys for help!

A back story about the recent events that got me to the problem:

My Lenovo Y510P crashed (couldnt boot to windows) a month ago and  needed an HDD replacment according to the tech lab (he is still under warranty).

They replaced the HDD and installed  the Windows 8 (i had 10 before the crash) from the hidden parttition, when i got my laptop back, i updated to Windows 10 but it crashed on boot screen (just like it did before the HDD got replaced).

I sent it back to the lab, this time they just restored it to Windows 8.

I tried to update it to 10 and it got stuck on boot again.

My laptop went back and forth 3 times like this until they just sent me the laptop with Windows 10 on it.

They deleted my hidden parttition and my SSD (24GB) with the laptop backup data so now i cant restore or format and i dont have any drivers or configurations on the Windows 10.

So heres the problem- It works a lot slower then it used to! it also take 3 times more to boot!

i tried to get all the drivers and searched for BIOS configurations and i found that im missing a progrem called ExpressCache.

I downloaded it but i don't think it made a diffrence.

Is ExpressCache my solution? Maybe i need to configure it?

Here is a screenshot with some details of my ExpressCache

Help me please! i can send it to the lab again but they will just format it...

Thanks!

image.png

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,467
Message 2 of 8

Re: Y510P is working slow after formatting

I suspect its used as I have an SSHD hybrid drive with an very small SSD portion. 8GB I believe and boots very quick. I never saw the use for a 24GB SSD, why don't they go for a full normal SSD 256 & 512GB SSD's are quite cheap right now and if you have M2 slot those are considerably faster than the drive style SSD 2.5" format.

There maybe something not implemented properly or its booting from the HD and not the 24GB ssd either way.unless someone is familiar with its setup with one they may have the answer if they under stand the partition/drive assignment needed.

It seems you have warranty and calling Tech support escalating to a senior level tech. They can remote access the notebook and check it all out and change whatever is needed.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Highlighted
Shaibarzel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,460
Message 3 of 8

Hi tripplec, thanks for the quick replay

Unfortunately where i live(Israel) Lenovo dosent have an official support and tech lab, they are hiring a privte one. They didnt help me untill now so before i will contect them and send them my laptop for the 5th time i thought ill ask here.

i suspect its a problem with the ssd-hdd hybrid configuration or the BIOS.

I dont know if my ExpressCache works good, should i install IRST drivers also? Change somthing in my bios?

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,456
Message 4 of 8

Makes no sense. Area has nothing to do with it. You can go to the support link and once you serial is also detect can request a technical rep to call YOU. Its almost instantaneous. I have used it a few times myself. No holding etc.

NOTE: If you mess around a brick the motherboard with a corrupt bios. You have not warranty after doing that. You pay full price for parts and labour.
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Shaibarzel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,455
Message 5 of 8

Im not going to do anything to the bios, just playing with some configurations before calling the tech lab.

I found that the MBR\GPT might have something to do with the speed?

Heres the status of them now

15139653_10154749547883044_1454192135_n.png

Should i change the ssd to gpt?

can both disks be gpt?

EDIT: Lenovo official support cant help be because im under extended warranty (the first year is lenovo and then a private authorized lab is in charge. i have the laptop almost 3 years now)

Guru
Views: 1,426
Message 6 of 8

Here is what you should do and not depend on these private labs (if you know a little bit about laptops)

1) Watch this youtube video on how to open laptop and see the components.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xMIjXVzF18

2) See if you have a M.2 SSD slot.

3) Buy an M.2 SSD of 240GB and put it in there.

4) Download windows 8 from any source and install it on your laptop. An OEM key should be associated with your motherboard and the windows should get activated automatically during/after install.

5) Enjoy the fast SSD and use the HDD for storage. Make a manual restore point once all this process is completed.

You can use the manual restore to revert back the laptop in case something goes wrong. Unfortunately, you cannot upgrade it to Windows 10 and you should not try because Y510p is not officially supported for Windows 10, you are just asking for trouble by moving to new OS when Lenovo drivers may or may not support it.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
LenBlazer
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,417
Message 7 of 8

@Shaibarzel wrote:

Hi,

Just before im losing my mind i turn to you guys for help!

A back story about the recent events that got me to the problem:

My Lenovo Y510P crashed (couldnt boot to windows) a month ago and  needed an HDD replacment according to the tech lab (he is still under warranty).

They replaced the HDD and installed  the Windows 8 (i had 10 before the crash) from the hidden parttition, when i got my laptop back, i updated to Windows 10 but it crashed on boot screen (just like it did before the HDD got replaced).

I sent it back to the lab, this time they just restored it to Windows 8.

I tried to update it to 10 and it got stuck on boot again.

My laptop went back and forth 3 times like this until they just sent me the laptop with Windows 10 on it.

They deleted my hidden parttition and my SSD (24GB) with the laptop backup data so now i cant restore or format and i dont have any drivers or configurations on the Windows 10.

So heres the problem- It works a lot slower then it used to! it also take 3 times more to boot!

i tried to get all the drivers and searched for BIOS configurations and i found that im missing a progrem called ExpressCache.

I downloaded it but i don't think it made a diffrence.

Is ExpressCache my solution? Maybe i need to configure it?

Here is a screenshot with some details of my ExpressCache

Help me please! i can send it to the lab again but they will just format it...

Thanks!

image.png

You may have to delete/reinstall ExpressCache together with wiping/recreating the ssd cache partition. Search some old thread in the forum on how to go about it. Also did you install IRST or not?

Shaibarzel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,399
Message 8 of 8

Eventually i decided to take the laptop back to the lab. I also had a problem with the left speaker that started to buzz at high volume.

Thank you guys for traying to help!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors