Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LunaLuna
Paper Tape
Views: 557
Message 1 of 3

Y510P wifi and energy management?

Hello everyone,

I've been struggling with wifi issues for over 2 weeks now. I have windows 8.1 (upgraded years ago from 8 to 8.1).

The wifi would stay connected but the internet connection would drop about every 15 - 20 minutes. Sometimes, often after a reboot, the internet would hold up for about 2-2.5 hours but after that it would drop again every 15-20 minutes. The strange thing is that the icon would still show it's connected and hovering over it says there should be an internet connection.

All I have to do is turn off and on the internet using the slider or enable/disable airplane mode and it would work again almost immediately. I also can use windows trouble shooter to fix it. Though it doesn't find a solution, it makes it work again long before it's gotten to the conclusion part. The conclusions I first got was "DNS problem" but now they changed to "router problem". That can't be it though since my parents use windows 7 and have no problem and I contacted the provider and they updated the router and nothing changed. 

I've tried almost every online solution I could find, from using Google dns to flushing ip/dns settings and other cmd stuff, deleting temp files, disabling IPv6, using set IP/DNS adresses, updating or throwbacking drivers manually and through Intel update systems itself, forgetting the network and reconnecting, pinging different websites, use a different browser, disabling bluetooth, disabling other network adapters (even the hidden ones) and starting windows in safe mode... But nothing works for longer than 3 hours if at all, even in "safe mode wifi enabled".

Finally I got across a forum saying I should uninstall the old version of Lenovo Energy Management and download the new one. I only uninstalled it so far and haven't installed the new one but my internet has barely/not acted up in the past 2 hours. It might still be in the 2-2.5 hour span of internet working before it starts dropping again but it remarkable since uninstalling LEM is the only thing I've done. Is this a known compability issue with internet?

CyberSimian
Bit Torrent
Views: 522
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y510P wifi and energy management?

@LunaLuna wrote:

Finally I got across a forum saying I should uninstall the old version of Lenovo Energy Management and download the new one.  ... Is this a known compability issue with internet?

I don't have an answer to your question, but I am curious as to which version of the Lenovo "Energy Manager" you are using?   What is the version number?  (There are numerous versions of the "Energy Manager" that can be downloaded from the Lenovo web site -- I have eleven different versions in my download library!)

I have installed Windows 7 on my 700-15ISK, and have installed "Energy Manager" version 1.0.5.17, but I have not used it with the internet yet.  However, I have installed that version of the "Energy Manager" on Windows 10, and I have done some youtube-ing sessions via wi-fi, so far with no disconnections.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

LunaLuna
Paper Tape
Views: 518
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y510P wifi and energy management?

Thank you for your reply. I don't know which version it was and I don't think I can check it now that I've uninstalled it? I do know it was far down the program list when I went to uninstall it and I think I saw "installed on 2013"? I bought my laptop around 4 years ago and I never updated it myself, maybe it did manually but I wouldn't know about that.

I don't know if it's the reason my internet kept disconnecting/being interrupted but I since I uninstalled it yesterday evening, the internet hasn't dropped. Yesterday it worked for 3.5+ hours before I went to sleep. Today it has worked for another 3+ hours without a single issue so I'm at least a little hopeful it was the fix for me.

I don't know if it's a real solution for other users, the strange thing is that my internet was fine about 3 weeks ago and I don't remember doing anything with the program besides maybe the fan cleaning option but I've done that before without issues.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors