Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KXI_System
Paper Tape
Views: 2,385
Message 1 of 8

Y510P won't boot

I have my y510p for about 2 years now and my warranty has long since expired, today my laptop won't boot.

I turn it on with the power button, keyboard lights turns on but nothing else including the monitor. The Lenovo logo doesn't even appear.

I've tried many different trouble shooting methods, such as removing the battery method etc. I even opened up the back and removed and put components back into place.

I want to say its a problem with my motherboard, but if it is I have no idea how to replace it.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,376
Message 2 of 8

Re: Y510P won't boot

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

If you have tried clearing the CMOS by removing the main battery and pressing the power button for 60 seconds or longer and that didn't do any good then I would next try booting the system with the memory, hard drive, optical drive and wireless card removed.  Now see if the machine makes an attempt to boot up.  If it does then install a memory module and try booting again.  Continue on installing a hardware item and booting.  When the no boot scenario returns then suspect the last hardware item installed as being faulty. 

The reason I mentioned pressing the power button for 60 seconds or longer when trying to clear the CMOS is that your model has the CMOS battery soldered directly to the motherboard.  In order to truly clear the CMOS you would need to remove both the main battery and the CMOS battery which you can not do.  By pressing the power button for 60 seconds or longer you're hoping that the coin cell battery can not keep up with the power drain and will thus clear the CMOS.

If clearing the CMOS and removing the hardware items still does not improve the boot up situation then suspect the motherboard has failed.  Your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual will explain how to remove the motherboard.  The link below is for your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual. When working inside your system please follow all precautions and recommendations that are noted in the manual.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410p_y510p_hmm.pdf

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

KXI_System
Paper Tape
Views: 2,369
Message 3 of 8

When I first opened up the laptop that what I was planning to do with the CMOS battery until I found it soldered on.

I have not tried removing the battery and powering it on for 60 seconds though, but I recently done that and no change.

To clarify I have to hold down the power button and have the AC cord removed as well as the battery removed for this method to work?

Either way I will remove and test the components individually tomorrow and report back.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,363
Message 4 of 8

Yes. you are correct.  Just remove the main battery and unplug the computer from the charger / adapter and then press the power button for 60 seconds or longer.  If your finger will stand the pressure, I'd go over minute just to be sure. Smiley Happy

Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

KXI_System
Paper Tape
Views: 2,341
Message 5 of 8

So I tried both power button method and removing all the components and booting.

Even with none of the components attached it still won't boot. So now that I have my culprit what do I do now to fix it?
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,335
Message 6 of 8

Mostly likely your motherboard is the problem.  Replacing it is something that you can do if you are comfortable working inside your laptop.  Probably the cheapest source for a replacement would be eBay although they are not cheap, around $250 for a used one and $475 new (U.S.).  Your model's Hardware Maintenance Manual will explain how to disassemble the laptop for the replacement.  Here is a link to that manual......

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/ideapad_y410p_y510p_hmm.pdf

Prior to replacing the motherboard you might want to have a local computer repair shop look at it and see what opinon they have.  If anything they should be able to briefly unsolder the CMOS battery and clear the CMOS for you.

KXI_System
Paper Tape
Views: 2,327
Message 7 of 8

Thank you, I have found motherboards on eBay but I will see if I can have someone at a shop desoldder the CMOS battery before purchasing a new motherboard.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,322
Message 8 of 8

You're welcome.

Hopefully a total reset of the CMOS will resolve the problem. 

Best of luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors