Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukepilkington
Fanfold Paper
Views: 918
Message 1 of 13

Y510p Direct X - Major Issues - Please help

Hey Guys, I really need some help here.

I got my Y510p a few months back. I upgraded to windows 8.1, first had issues with SLI but updated the VBIOS drivers and SLI works fine now.

I have been playing skyrim fine, smooth as silk on SLI. However when I go to install another game that installs Direct x before it starts (like skyrim does) . I then get flickering in games and everything slows to a crawl. I first noticed this when I installed a mod for skyrim (RCRN http://www.rcrncommunity.com/) . Each time skyrim played fine until I installed that MOD. Uninstalling the mod didnt help and it also affected all other games anyway. I noticed that it installs some Direct x componenet, which must casue it. The only way to rectify was to reset laptop to factory and not install that MOD.

I have now just installed Gone Home (indie game via steam) At the beginning of the installation it installs direct x. Now its all happenned again. So all games slow to a halt. I even restored laptop to before direct x was installed and same issue. 

I have tried installing Direct x runtime and the latest redistributables, but no luck. I have now reset my laptop to factory four times! I dont want to have to do it again.

I all latest drivers etc. I work in IT to resonably technical. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance

lukepilkington
Fanfold Paper
Views: 908
Message 2 of 13

Re: Y510p Direct X - Major Issues - Please help

Just uploading a fraps video. - Strangely it doesnt show the flickering in the video, but you can see the framerate is dire. Not uploaded yet so link wont work for another 20 mins prob:

http://youtu.be/cDq-NHMynsI

jansch
Fanfold Paper
Views: 907
Message 3 of 13

Make a backup of the nVidia Graphics settings, install your mod and apply the graphics settings before the mod was installed... A lot of mods dont only modify the game, they mostly also modify all the settings on the computer...
lukepilkington
Fanfold Paper
Views: 895
Message 4 of 13

But that the thing, since the last time I reset to factory settings, I didnt install any mods, just vanilla skyrim. Its only since installing Gone Home game from steam, its happend yet again. Gone home installs some sort of direct x. Just like skyrim does when you first load it from Steam and just like the RCRN Mod does when you first install it. So its definitly something to do with direct x and my y510p laptop

lukepilkington
Fanfold Paper
Views: 842
Message 5 of 13

So I have just done a full factory reset again, here is my process:

- Use system recovey back to factory settings

- Uninstalled any bloatware

- updated windows using windows update

- Upgrade to windows 8.1 through app store

- Install latest Nvidia drivers

- Install steam

- download & install a few games, including Skyrim, Gone home

Straight away getting glitches in SLI once again, terrible framerate, completly unplayable for any games even on low, even in menus, very jerky.

What am i supposed to do now? It seems to be software related as it sometimes works, sometimes doesnt after restoring my laptop. this is now the 6th time of doing this.

Any ideas? Do I contact Lenovo and get it looked at, I can see them just restoring the laptop and saying it works until i install a few games and try it my self

lukepilkington
Fanfold Paper
Views: 841
Message 6 of 13

No Mods or any other quirky things have been installed on the laptop, it is pretty much vanilla excpet for the games.

I have even done a clean boot into windows 8, with the same issues

lukepilkington
Fanfold Paper
Views: 840
Message 7 of 13

The only thing I do the same each time is install skyrim, but surely others who have this laptop are playing skyrim with no issues?
Guru
Views: 829
Message 8 of 13

I'm playing skyrim on Y580 with no problems Smiley Happy

It has to be some kind of driver issue. Which version do you have?

====================================
I'm an INsider - not a Lenovo employee.
You can find me in gaming, Ideapad and Thinkpad forums most of the time.
lukepilkington
Fanfold Paper
Views: 815
Message 9 of 13

I am using the latest drivers for everything as far as I know. I have updated the vbios, it seems to only flicker when using SLI. But im pretty sure there is slow down even on single GPU. As I said I have reset to factory abot 6 times now over the past 3 months. Each time it works for a little bit fine. So I install skyrim, it works fine. Then I install another game from Steam, whihc also installs direct x compnonets, then anygame i play has flickering and complete slow down. Its so frustrating, I dont get why only I seem to have this issue, as I am likely doing the same as hundreds of people with the same laptop
lukepilkington
Fanfold Paper
Views: 782
Message 10 of 13

Each tim ethere is a new nvidia driver out, I install it. SO pretty sure its not the driver version, Im sure it has somethign to do with Direct x, as its only after another game installs directx components that it seems to occur, then uninstalling the games doesnt fix it. Only a restore to factory, then I install a couple of games off steam and im back in the same position.  

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors