Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ascalone
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,526
Message 1 of 11

Y510p Fried Motherboard Normal Use Below 1 Year

FYI guys,

I bought a Y510p in the beginning of 2014, I am a university student that does ocassional gaming not a heavy gamer. Bought the laptop for college use and gaming on the side. I know the warranty is only 1 year and this is not why I am writting this complaint.

The laptop is used normally, never dropped never abused. I like every aspect of the laptop but not the trackpad just under $1,200 I am not going to complain. In fact I still like it but it's sitting dead atm.

Room Temperature : 20 - 25 C

Laptop Cooler : Coolermaster CM Storm SF-19 USB 2.0

1st Problem: Fried Motherboard

I was Skyping with my gf and like any other laptops I shut the lid so it goes to standby mode, I was going to go out for that night. Got home and opened the lid only the power LED light was on and no fan noise nothing. Tried every method Lenovo customer service told me over the phone (power discharge, etc). This happened just under a year I remembered I shipped it to Lenovo just a month before my warrranty expired. Just like any other warranty method, they will try to fix if they can before swapping the motherboard. At this point I was happy my Y510p got fixed.

2nd Problem: Fried Motherboard

Not long after the "fix" which was only re-soldering the chipset which was written in the 1st repair invoice from Lenovo my laptop motherboard got fried again. Again I was doing some word processing and closed the lid to grab food, when I came and opened the lid only the power LED light was on, no fan noise nothing and at this point I was enraged. Obviously I was about 5 months past my warranty period so they won't fix this again.

My complaint : If the 1st fix was a temporary fix and they know sooner or later my motherboard would fried again why did they not replace my motherboard. In my case this is definitely a motherboard defect how can a laptop used normally never dropped never abused in just under a year fried it self. Maybe I just got a bad product in the batch but I highly douby their QA is this bad.

Please reply if you need further details or have similar problem.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 4,436
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y510p Fried Motherboard Normal Use Below 1 Year

Welcome to the Lenovo Community !

Sorry to hear of your problems.  From what you have described it is difficult to say that the 1st repair was only a "temporary fix" without knowing the cause of the 2nd failure.  The 1st repair may have been done properly and the reason for the 2nd failure could be something entirely different. Until you have it looked at you won't know.   Since you are at a university, check with the school's IT department and see if they will look at your laptop.  They maybe able to fix it for little or nothing. 

In retrospect, had I been in your situation, I probably would have extended the warranty after the first repair since the laptop's original warranty was nearing expiration.  The extra warranty period would have at least given a peace of mind that the repair was good and there were no other problems.

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Ascalone
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,432
Message 3 of 11

Further details :

I took it to 2 computer repair shop and they told me the same thing. 

"Looks like Lenovo only re-solder your chipset and did not replace the motherboard from the 1st fix, if we were to do it again there is a high chance that this will happen again"

So yes, 2x the same problem fried motherboard

I did not extend the warranty because I had a gateway gaming laptop from 2009 that still work until today and I still use it to watch movies.

Subratremgi
What's DOS?
Views: 3,921
Message 4 of 11

Exactly the same problem . I brought the Y510p in December 2013 and it was working fine until a month ago , i shut the lid , and went to work . When i came back and tried to power on the laptop , LED light was on and no fan noise nothing. I tried to discharge the battery and then tried to prower on , no luck .

I went to the Authorized Lenovo service center , but they said that the motherboard is damaged . I was playing FIFA 15 a day before for god's sake. How can the motherboard get damaged when the laptop is on the desk , no spill of liquid , no physical contact what so ever . As my warranty was already expired , i asked them if there is any replacement . They say that it is out of stock . 

Is there a serious problem with this laptop or what ?

me4alapa
Paper Tape
Views: 3,445
Message 5 of 11

I got the same problem! 250 Euro mid-salary here, i got 18 mounts by 65 Euro to buy it on leasing. On 11 month - fried... Should the expencive toys have to last longer than the cheap or its me? Now Lenovo Y510P is unusefull  - thank you for taking a 1000 euro from me, it was not plesure... HOW UNFAIR!!!

dirtyhippysheep
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,432
Message 6 of 11

Same problem - absolutely identical with me see this thread.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Lenovo-y510P-Random-Reboot-and-Power-Button-Iss...

Absolutely shameful on Lenovo for this rampantly faulty motherboard. Not only that but I got the same shoddy repair and then the same convenient break outside of warranty.

I'm not usually one to say "they've lost a customer" but I've bought my last Lenovo product. They aren't the company they bought, and they certainly aren't those machines.

nigeldre
Paper Tape
Views: 3,353
Message 7 of 11

I'm facing the same problem here
nigeldre
Paper Tape
Views: 3,352
Message 8 of 11

I will never buy lenovo again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bewu90
What's DOS?
Views: 2,875
Message 9 of 11

Hi All!

I’m new here. I’ve created my account here only, because I’m facing the same problem with my Y510P as you. So just in short – dead black screen after power on, only the on/off button is highlighted, no fan is working, and keyboard is also not flashing. So probably MOBO is dead (at least some part of it).

And here is my question – is any of you able to point the chipset/part of MOBO which is responsible for this? If your laptop was sent to be repaired and it “Looks like Lenovo only re-solder your chipset and did not replace the motherboard”, are you able to say, which chipset was re-soldered? Maybe you could mark it on some MOBO photo?

Additionally, maybe during your research about the issue, you have found some schematics of MOBO?

It will be very helpful for me.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards

Bartek

trudooms
What's DOS?
Views: 1,685
Message 10 of 11

When I got this model it died on me within a month. Sent it out for Lenovo for repair and then they didn't have the part, so insead of waiting for a month for the part to come in, they gave me a new one. It's been nearly 3 years with this laptop and I have been using it as a desktop replacement under heavy graphic design use. I have been so happy with the replacement that I was looking to buy a new Lenovo with more power. Unfortunately, my computer started freezing after graphics-heavy usage. My extended warranty was good for two more months so I took it to Best Buy (Lenovo Authorized Repair Place) and it turned out to be the motherboard. It seems to me this is a reoccuring problem with this model, but I was pricing motherboard replacements around the high $100s, so it is affordable to replace if you are outside of warranty and want to keep this laptop. When the laptop is working, it's a little beast. My overall experience has been good, but I would recommend anyone to buy the extended warranty, which is much more affordable than the insanely expensive extended warranties that Dell sells.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors