Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattcnz
Not applicable
Views: 3,301
Message 1 of 10

Y510p HDD to SSD windows clean install

Hi all,

I have the y510p with the standard 5400 rpm 1T HDD and I would like to install an SDD. I am getting a 512 GB Crucial SSD. The problem is I'm not too sure on the steps to do this. 

I don't want to clone my drive I just want clean install on the SSD. But I have no disk drive (SLI model)

so it would seem that I need to install from a USB.

So how do I get windows on the usb to install and boot from?

I tried finding the windows key but couldn't so I had a freee copy of windows 8 thorugh my school. I downloaded it and selected to put it on the installation media (the usb)

is this usb bootable or is it just an ISO?

I guess simplified my question is step by step how can I change my hard drive to the SSD. I have everything backed up

How would I be able to install clean windows on the New SSD?

LenBlazer
Not applicable
Views: 3,288
Message 2 of 10

Re: Y510p HDD to SSD windows clean install

@mattcnz wrote:

Hi all,

I have the y510p with the standard 5400 rpm 1T HDD and I would like to install an SDD. I am getting a 512 GB Crucial SSD. The problem is I'm not too sure on the steps to do this. 

I don't want to clone my drive I just want clean install on the SSD. But I have no disk drive (SLI model)

so it would seem that I need to install from a USB.

So how do I get windows on the usb to install and boot from?

I tried finding the windows key but couldn't so I had a freee copy of windows 8 thorugh my school. I downloaded it and selected to put it on the installation media (the usb)

is this usb bootable or is it just an ISO?

I guess simplified my question is step by step how can I change my hard drive to the SSD. I have everything backed up

How would I be able to install clean windows on the New SSD?

Look at this link. It should be installed with UEFI enabled. The product key is embedded in the bios which you can find out by using a third party program. However, you may not need it if your OS installer copy is the same version as the pre-installed OS.

rockykoston
Not applicable
Views: 3,286
Message 3 of 10

I know this may not be much help, but there are several link that can pop up. I cannot click on these links yet as i am in office.

Please google "windows 8 USB installation, this will bring up several results to install windows 8 from a USB. You can go through them while someone else responds to you with detailed steps.

High Level steps -

1) You need to copy the Windows files from inside the ISO to the USB to make it bootable. Details can be found at the above links.

2) Restart the laptop and tap F2 while booting to go into BIOS.

3) Once in BIOS, please change the boot setting and select (enable) the USB Boot option.

4) Now, Exit saving changes.

5) Shutdown the laptop.

6) Take out your HDD and install the SSD in its place.

7) Connect the USB and boot up the system.

8) Follow on -screen instructions to install Windows.

(If Windows asks for an activation key, you can either enter it or skip it, depending upon whether you have it or not)

9) Once install is complete, please apply updates as necessary.

(I would recommend upgrading to Win 8.1 asap)

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
mattcnz
Not applicable
Views: 3,279
Message 4 of 10

ok but say I'm just going to fresh install windows with a completely new key. I downloaded the installer and didn't choose iso to DVD, I chose to "Install by creating media" on the flash drive. is this not bootable do I still need a tool to make it bootable? 

Ok so regardless of the above question. Lets say I have bootable usb with brand new windows key on it. 

1. Turn on laptop, hit whatever key for the bios

2. Select bootup from usb

3. turn off, replace hard drive with SSD

4. Turn on, should boot from usb and install windows, then install lenovo drivers from their website

Is this correct?

Also is there any issue with installing with different windows key and not the oem copy?

mattcnz
Not applicable
Views: 3,269
Message 5 of 10

@rockykoston wrote:

I know this may not be much help, but there are several link that can pop up. I cannot click on these links yet as i am in office.

Please google "windows 8 USB installation, this will bring up several results to install windows 8 from a USB. You can go through them while someone else responds to you with detailed steps.

High Level steps -

1) You need to copy the Windows files from inside the ISO to the USB to make it bootable. Details can be found at the above links.

2) Restart the laptop and tap F2 while booting to go into BIOS.

3) Once in BIOS, please change the boot setting and select (enable) the USB Boot option.

4) Now, Exit saving changes.

5) Shutdown the laptop.

6) Take out your HDD and install the SSD in its place.

7) Connect the USB and boot up the system.

8) Follow on -screen instructions to install Windows.

(If Windows asks for an activation key, you can either enter it or skip it, depending upon whether you have it or not)

9) Once install is complete, please apply updates as necessary.

(I would recommend upgrading to Win 8.1 asap)

Ah ok thank you. So do you see any issue with doing a fresh instal lof the non-OEM windows on a brand new drive?

rockykoston
Not applicable
Views: 3,260
Message 6 of 10

I would recommend that you install the same version of windows which you already have. Suppose, if you got Win 8 64 bit edition already on the HDD, please try to install the same on the SSD.

If you install a different version (such as Pro), the only issue I see is that it wont be auto-activated by the key stored in BIOS, other than that I do not see any problems.

If you run into any issues, please keep your HDD safe, do not delete (format) that data yet. You can use it to boot windows, wipe the SSD and retry the process again.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
mattcnz
Not applicable
Views: 3,253
Message 7 of 10

@rockykoston wrote:

I would recommend that you install the same version of windows which you already have. Suppose, if you got Win 8 64 bit edition already on the HDD, please try to install the same on the SSD.

If you install a different version (such as Pro), the only issue I see is that it wont be auto-activated by the key stored in BIOS, other than that I do not see any problems.

If you run into any issues, please keep your HDD safe, do not delete (format) that data yet. You can use it to boot windows, wipe the SSD and retry the process again.

Ok. But the problem is inorder to download the installer onto my flash drive I needed to have a key for windows. I used belarc to try to get the windows key but it didn't work. so I had to use another windows key to download the installer. I found a setting in windows that says "change product key" so I changed it and have that.

Why is this so difficult. All i want to do is upgrade my hard drive

rockykoston
Not applicable
Views: 3,246
Message 8 of 10

I would say that its not difficult. It just involves a few extra steps than what we used to do couple of years ago due to OEM windows now.

Just follow the same once you have the bootable USB ready and you should be fine.

mattcnz
Not applicable
Views: 3,244
Message 9 of 10

@rockykoston wrote:

I would say that its not difficult. It just involves a few extra steps than what we used to do couple of years ago due to OEM windows now.

Just follow the same once you have the bootable USB ready and you should be fine.

Ok thank you for your help. 

Say i try to  install windows on the ssd and it's not working. would I be able to just plug back in my hard drive and have it working again?

rockykoston
Not applicable
Views: 3,237
Message 10 of 10

Yes, dont make any changes to BIOS and HDD and everything should work fine.

Do not delete any partitions from your HDD, just unplug it and keep it aside.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors