Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eSkimoz
Paper Tape
Views: 883
Message 1 of 7

Y510p - Identify if both fans are working

Hello!

I want to know how to identify if the second graphics card is working on my Lenovo Y510P.

Each time a turn on something resource intensive, my left gpu is working like crazy with all the heat coming out, and the one on the right seems like not spinning, or spinning but very slowly, and almost no heat is coming out. 

Is it supposed to be like that?

Also, can't find Energy Management option to use 'Dust removal' feature.

I'm using Lenovo Y510P 750 SLI on Windows 10.

Cheers,

N

PS. I also want to mention that in NVIDIA Control Panel "SLI Configuration is set tp Maximize 3D Performance" and PhysX settings to Auto-Select. 

Mod's Edit: System model added to front of Subject line to improve visibility / clarity.

wmj259
Token Ring
Views: 874
Message 2 of 7

Re: Identify if both GPU's are working

Correct me if I'm wrong but, I dont think GPU's spin, are you referring to the fan? If so, then one fan is for the CPU while the other is for the GPU, Intel GPU is integrated in the CPU while the dedicated GPU has its own fan.

Y50-70 i7-4720HQ - 16GB Ram - 1TB HDD Win 8.1 - 4GB-860 GTX
eSkimoz
Paper Tape
Views: 851
Message 3 of 7

Yes, you are correct -- the fans.

I not very tech when it comes to computer insides. Can you please help me understand if the y510p comes with 2 750 graphics cards they are in the same side, and on the right it's the one that is integrated?

If yes, it's supposed not to produce such amount of heat as the one's on the left?

Cheers,

N

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 813
Message 4 of 7

Welcome to the Lenovo Community sSkimoz !

Have you tried using HWMonitor to see if it will detect the GPU fans and their speed?   The program will also allow for temperature monitoring depending if the Lenovo sensors support it. 

HWMonitor comes in two versions.  The first will install on your hard drive and the second is zip file that you can uncompress and use as a portable version on a flash drive.

Here is a link to the free download....

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

eSkimoz
Paper Tape
Views: 799
Message 5 of 7

Hello Majestic!

Thanks for advice, I've downloaded and run this program, and this is what I see from it: http://imgur.com/qBNV3tL (not sure if we can upload pics here, so uploaded to imgur).

As far as I can see it has two 750M, and one is around 11 C hotter than another. Where do I look for fans? 

Skidborg
Paper Tape
Views: 655
Message 6 of 7

I've tried this. HWmonitor displays core temperatures but the fan RPM is not visible. The option to see the fan speed is checked. Still waiting on a solution, since I'm having serious overheating problems.

Edit:  The "fan cleaning" function in the energy management center does work.  Fans spin up for a few seconds and drop the CPU temperature by about five degrees.  But outside of that context they won't spin up to cool the CPU, even when it hits 100 degrees and hard freezes.

Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 641
Message 7 of 7

If you are not seeing any fan speeds then your laptop lacks the fan speed sensor which HWMonitor detects.  Since you did see some cooling benefit from using the fan cleaning option, have you considered using some canned compressed air for additional cleaning?  Cans of compressed air are available in the electronics department of most retail stores.  Just use short bursts of air in each vent several times or until you no longer see dust being blown out.  I would do this outside and avoid long blasts of air which can damage the fans. 

please mark it as an "Accept As Solution"
♦ I'm not a Lenovo employee, just a volunteer geek who likes to help folks.
Sorry, I don't read unsolicited Private Messages. If you have an issue, posting in     the appropriate forum is the best way to get assistance.

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors