cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 2,959
Message 91 of 120

Re: Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud your cooling fans!

@Leijonasisu

I saw that you applied the mod and yet are getting bad temps. You need to consider these points -

1) What games are you playing?

2) What is your ambient temp?

3) Can you use air conditioning? (sorry fans dont help)

4) Consider buying a good laptop cooler.

Here is my experience and I bought this laptop last April.

1) Idle temps on CPUs - 45-52 celsius

2) Idle temps on Main GPU - 35 to 45, Ultrabay GPU - 35 to 45

3) I play games like Far Cry 3, Bioshock infinite, Splinter Cell Blacklist, max GPU temp - 82

4) Now Playing, Dragon Age inquistion, winter season is ending so ambient temp going upto 25 sometimes.

Max CPU temp - 82. Max Main GPU - 82, Max Ultrabay GPU - 92

I DO NOT have the mod. I use a CoolerMaster X2, and a regular fan but soon will start using the AC for a cooler room.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Leijonasisu
Serial Port
Views: 2,955
Message 92 of 120

1. These temps I mentioned are from when I am NOT playing games. Hence my point and my dismay and disappointment. | However, the games I do play are usually only Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and World of Warcraft. All of which perform fine, however the fan noise is obviously ridiculously loud.

2. Room temp is anywhere from 20-24C but usually directly in the middle.

3. I don't have air conditioning. My room temp is actually quite low. I live in Finland, no one has air-conditioners here. I suppose I could open a window, (It's -1/-5C outside, and that could help but then it would be too cold inside).

4. What do you personally consider a good laptop cooler? It seems these days that they are not in heavy supply anymore and many people have different ideas on what is considered 'good' or 'the best'. In addition to that, I used to own the Notepal U3 and I found it a pain to have around and it barely dropped temps by 2-3C on my older Acer laptop. I've found they aren't really worth the money. But do please make a recommendation.

1. Why are your idle temps ridiculously lower than mine? Yet I have repasted the CPU and GPU with some of the best thermal paste you can buy and I have also unshrouded both the bottom fans. My idle temp on 'Performance Mode' is 60-62C. On 'Balanced mode' it's 51-54C and on 'Power Saving Mode' it's the same as balaced mode. Maybe JUST under 49C if I don't do ANYTHING at all. But running in Balanced Mode or Power Saving Mode make my laptop quite slow, even with 12GB of RAM and a good SSD.

2. GPU temps are both 52C idle in Balanced Mode. Both 60C in Performance and the same as Balanced in Power Saving Mode.

3. I stated the games I play already. I used to play FarCry 3 on this and the fan would only get as loud as it is now, all the time... Temps were comonly 80C or around, but never above that. Yet when I wasn't playing anything, it was basically whisper quiet. I have tried to play FarCry 4 but this laptop just cannot handle it smoothly enough for me. I get a semi-choppy 25-30fps on FarCry 4 on Ultra. Which I guess is actually really good, but it's not good enough and I don't want to sacrifice quality. Also the temps get up to 90C whilst playing that game and obviously it runs the processor Throttled down to 2.4Ghz from 3.3Ghz. Not that it makes remotely any difference when forcing the CPU to run at 3.3Ghz whilst playing that game as it is mostly GPU intensive.

4. My ultrabay is almost ALWAYS cooler than my other GPU that shares the heatpipes with the CPU. Most people say that their Ultrabay card heats up so much. Something about mine feels like I am not getting 100% power out of it, and it's not heating up the way that it kind of could. It doesn't get 'that' hot on say FarCry 4. Not like I swear it used to on Witcher 2.

I still do not understand how my temps are higher than yours, my laptop is only 9 months or so old and I have all the modifications and such that I previously mentioned which should all make my temps considerably lower... It makes no sense.

Guru
Views: 2,947
Message 93 of 120

ok, I understand now. The difference is in our settings. I always use balanced mode.

I play on Med/High settings , definitely NOT Ultra. With Med/High at 1080p I get 45-60 fps in graphically demanding games.

All games I try to strike a fine balance of performance, graphics and temps, which needs a 10 min benchmarking before I start a new game.

My DA:I temps were 98 celsius on Ultrabay GPU on Very High settings, so I turned it a bit lower and now I am getting 85-92 after a gaming sessioon of 3-5 hours.

For Ultra gaming, I think desktops are the best. There are very few laptops which are good with cooling and yet so cheap in price. Overall, I am pretty happy with Lenovo since it fit my budget (SLI laptop for $1080).

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Leijonasisu
Serial Port
Views: 2,937
Message 94 of 120

Even in balanced mode my fan is still too loud and my ambiet temps are lower than yours and idle temps are still in the 60s despite the fact that the CPU frequency isn't always running at max. I might as well run it at max because minimum temps are always around 60.

Guru
Views: 2,932
Message 95 of 120

And you are sure you did everything right when you opened your laptop and re-pasted it?

I saw your other post and you literally took everything apart. Was this also happening before your teardown process?

Leijonasisu
Serial Port
Views: 2,929
Message 96 of 120

Absolutely. That's WHY I did it... I watched multiple videos on how to do it, and I even took photos like I said in my other t thread. I think this laptop just runs hot, and in my country it wasn't really a 'budget laptop' at all...

Guru
Views: 2,927
Message 97 of 120

maybe you can try a factory reset.

(Just a guess) I think you might have messed with too many settings which is letting this happen. If its a hardware issues, nothing can be done anymore, since you already re-pasted.

Are you out of warranty or were you out of warranty?

Did you try explaining this to Lenovo before modding it.

Leijonasisu
Serial Port
Views: 2,921
Message 98 of 120

Laptop had 2 years and 3 months of warranty left when I repasted it.

I just performed a factory reset of the entire machine today. In fact I finished re-installing most things about an hour ago. I've neglected to reinstall a lot that was on the laptop.

To be honest the CPU temps are always around 60C, even if the laptop is just sitting in the BIOS.

At this point I doubt there would be anything Lenovo could do except say "Yeah laptops someitmes run that hot, and well that's just how it goes".

At this point I don't really care for this problem anymore. I'll use this thing until it dies, or annoys me enough for me to buy a new one. I won't be buying any Lenovo laptops again in the future though. This Y510p is nice enough but I have too many issues with it and there are too many things about this laptop that disappoint me. Sharp edges to the bottom of the laptop, noise issues, overheating, lack of backup program, disgraceful trackpad, lack of power to USB drives, dust magnet, ease of scratch/scuffing to the frame, terrible application of stock thermal paste and lousy cooling design, and no ability to properly tweak fan speeds (noise). Also not impressed at the lack of concise driver updates.

Speakers are nice, screen is sharp enough, 3 year warranty was good (though 1 of those years was a store extension), backlit keyboard is nice, overall design 'looks' good, weight is also fair. But it's not good enough.

Anyway, you live you learn. I won't be following this thread or any others anymore for replies. Thanks to anyone who replied to my posts and I hope other people have better luck with this laptop.

octopusx
What's DOS?
Views: 2,875
Message 99 of 120

Hey guys. I bought the y510p 755m SLI second hand a while ago for a very nice price. I too noticed high temperatures and throttling on the CPU. Since I am tech savvy I decided to open the thing up and repaste cpu, gpu and ultrabay chips. Factory paste job was horrible! I used cheap Akasa 455 paste I had at hand, which I used on previous repaste jobs on desktops in the past always getting nice results.

I also did this unshroud mod and bought a cooling pad with 2x 120mm fans blowing up. With the repasting, unshrouding and cooling pad the temps dropped about 15C on the CPU, ~10 GPU and ~10C on ultrabay, so temps were at about 90C maxed out. I still weren't happy with it, altho there is no throttling now and I can run 4 cores at 3ghz (-92mV undervolt with Intel utility) without any fears of overheating. But I managed to drop temps for another 2-3C by simply removing the layer of dust filter on the bottom mesh. A lot of work to get the temps down and I doubt that I could do anything more since the heatsinks are simply too small in this laptop to further lower the tamps.

All in all I am now pleased with my y510p and can run both of my 755m at +100mhz core & memory, benching 630 points in Heaven 4.0 (max 1080p) which I think is fantastic for the price I paid since the new 870m scored ~580 points and r9 270 (desktop) benches ~640 points.

So to sum it up, before repaste, unshroud, removing filter, cooling pad temps were:

CPU idle 60+, playing BF4 100+ (saw it peak 107C once and nearly pooped my pants) this was 2,4ghz 4 cores + a lot of throttling all the time

GPU idle 60+ playing BF4 95+

GPU ultrabay 65+ playing BF4 ~100

After:

CPU idle 45-50, playing BF4 85-90 @ 3ghz 4 cores -92mV undervolt

GPU idle 50, playing BF4 85-90 (+100mhz core & memory)

GPU ultrabay idle 50, playing BF4 80-88 (+100mhz core & memory)

I hope my info helps. Here are also some pictures I took of the factory paste job.

http://i57.tinypic.com/2j6a9ev.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/28bwozk.jpg

Fuzzilla
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,788
Message 100 of 120

Thank you for posting this thread!

As octopusx photos show, FAR too much paste is usually used in factory production resulting in sub-par performance.  In this day and age is seems odd that you can solder wash and surface mound SMD's with high degrees of tolerance, yet pay a laborer to dump a huge glob of paste to a CPU or GPU & ruin the heat transfer.  I've never seen a non-overpasted factory assembly.  Too much paste, even around the sides of the die, can seriously increase temps.

One of the things that attracted me to the Y510P are the massive heatsinks and huge, unobstructed outlets.

As soon as the warranty expires, I go to work.  As for filters IMHO you are correct to cut away any obstructions like plastic or excess heat shielding especially on performance machines.  Rather than remove plastic or metal grilles/filters I prefer to enlarge the holes in the mesh.  A moto-tool (Dremel) or hand drill can be used.  Though it does take far longer than complete removal it also keeps large debris like hair, fiber, etc. from entering the air cooling pathways and clogging the fan blades. You can spin a fan as fast as it will go, but if you obstruct the intake or exhaust you lose pressure and flow.  Typically a computer mfgr will be more interested in reducing service costs than giving you optimum airflow.  Can you blame them, not really IMHO as business is Profit or Perish.  For routine cleaning I use a DataVac, any electrostatic resistive vac (vacuum made for electronics) will do.  I've also been known to add series of small holes in the undercasing, front, or sides of the unit just before a hotspot to add extra airwash past the component in question, especially RAM and any MOSFET's. NOTE: I do study the factory airflow as much as possible as extra inlets can sometimes compromise factory intended airflow design. Don't want to remove airwash over those CPU's, GPU's or memory modules.  Often what looks like a strange channel in a shield can be a "duct" of sorts to move air to a specific spot in a laptop case.

My rule of thumb is you can always drill and cut away more later, but you usually can't add it back in.Smiley Wink

HTH

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors