cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alex-kun
What's DOS?
Views: 2,604
Message 111 of 120

Re: Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud your cooling fans!

Подскажите пожалуйста, как обновить БИОС ВИДЕОКАРТЫ VGA BIOS for Windows, 8.1 ???

Begin

Error

fmj7777
Paper Tape
Views: 1,665
Message 112 of 120

Here is my solution to the fan control problem.

I was browsing on ebay looking for some sort of micro switch that I could hook up to the fan brown wire, so I could turn it on or off when needed, and I came across this temperature sensor/switch. They work like a thermostat, when reaching a certain temperature it will either turn on or off depending on the model.

You can choose from a range of temperatures, from like 45C to 130C. I'm using a normally closed, 70C model. Around 70C it will open the circuit and run the fan at full speed until the temperature drops down to around 65C. They are dirty cheap! I paid 99 cents each, including shipping.

Wire the sensor in series with the brown wire, place it as close as possible to the chip or heatpipe using thermal adhesive tape and you're done.

This is what it looks like

http://i.imgur.com/1U87wcd.jpg

(I keep the wires tucked under the black sticker)

http://i.imgur.com/Pijt437.jpg

I glued the sensor with double sided thermal adhesive directly on the heatpipe.

http://i.imgur.com/BfuFXud.jpg

There's not enough room on the ultrabay GPU to glue the sensor on the heatpipe, so I glued it right next to it. Worked just as well.

More pictures: http://imgur.com/a/DBlxV 

This is the listing I ordered from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/331577233585 

Search for "KSD9700". Make sure you choose the "Normally Closed" model.

Both GPUs are running at 1189MHZ and the memory is running at stock speeds.

GPU2 was repasted a couple months ago with Mastergel Maker from Cooler Master. CPU and main GPU still have the stock thermal paste. 

"Idle" temperatures, watching a video, browsing the web (measured on a hot day).

CPU ~55C

GPU1 ~50C

GPU2 ~40C

Full load (GTAV, BF Remastered, MadMax). GPU2 will overheat and throttle using a GPU burner software like Furmark and OC Scanner. This never happens in any gaming session, regardless of how long I play.

CPU ~80C

GPU1 ~77C

GPU2 ~83C

Guru
Views: 1,657
Message 113 of 120

Thanks fmj7777 for sharing this solution. I sold off my Y510p but these innovative solutions really help.

My solution was an unlocked BIOS from TI forums, that helped be undervolt both the GPUs. Without loss in performance, I was able to keep max temps below 80C, no matter the gaming session length or load of the GPUs.

Awesome stuff man, keep it going.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
kozlone
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,545
Message 114 of 120

Hi all,

At first I want to thank Mr. Erni3 for the script. 

I've created another script that is closing EnergyManagement window by Ctrl+Alt+h:

Code
Spoiler
^!h::
IfWinExist Energy Management
    WinClose
return

I think that it would be great if there will be a possibility to close/start EnergyManagement. For now as I see it can be started only once. After it closed you have to restart the script.

dudebrino
Paper Tape
Views: 340
Message 115 of 120

I did the unshroud thing and that and repasting the CPU+GPU lowered the temps a lot, but its still throttling

That script, wont it wreck my fan from overuse?

fmj7777
Paper Tape
Views: 339
Message 116 of 120

Wow. People are still using this laptop after all these years. 

Anyways, there's no way around the throttling on the y510p. Gpu1 and gpu will work just fine with no throttling but gpu2 will throttle no matter what you do. The heatsink is just way too small and there's no way around it. A bigger fan won't help. A faster fan will make no difference. A vacuum type cooler ain't gonna help much either. 

I think I posted my mods on this thread a few pages  back. I used a thermo relay that switches the fan signal OFF at 75c, making the fans go at 100%. Gpu2 will hit 97c regardless but don't worry about it. Mine is still working to this day! My wife now uses it to play some games and web browsing.

dudebrino
Paper Tape
Views: 337
Message 117 of 120

Yeah still using it, have you tried undervolting it? I heard it can keep the temps down but havent checked to see if it works. Some say despite the downgrade it runs better because it wont throttle.

>vacuum type cooler

I was actually planning on using a vacuum cooler on the main exaust (left one for CPU and GPU1) you say it wont help? or you meant the GPU2? because I dont have one (DVD drive there).

>I used a thermo relay that switches the fan signal OFF at 75c

Is that a hardware mod or another script?

fmj7777
Paper Tape
Views: 320
Message 118 of 120

Undervolting helps but alone it doesn't solve the issue.

Don't bother with a vacuum type cooler. It's not needed.

The thermal relay is a hardware mod. Very easy to do and by far the mod that made the most difference. No need for apps running on the background or anything like that. As soon as it hits the set temperature, the fans will go full blast until it cools down again. Mine triggers at around 75c. 

It's been like 3 years since I don't touch my 510p, but as far as I can remember, the mods I have on it are; removed the air filter, raised the back of the laptop using 10mm rubber feet, thermal relays on both fans, repasted (made no difference at all) and taped the gaps between the fans and heatsinks. I'm not sure if it's still running undervolted to this day, but I don't think it is. Gotta check that. That's about it. No throttling on the cpu and gpu1. Gpu2 hits 97c and throttles but not as much as before the mods.

fmj7777
Paper Tape
Views: 315
Message 119 of 120

Ah, look at my post from December 2016 right above yours! It has more info about the thermal relays and precise temperatures numbers. It doesn't really go up to 97c. My bad lol it's been a while! 

phantom_2795
What's DOS?
Views: 185
Message 120 of 120

Hi all!

I was wondering if someone could suggest a cooling pad for this model. Along with improving cooling (i know it won't be significant, but something is better than nothing), it would also improve the typing position and overall ergonomics. 

Have a good day!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors