cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kramer46
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 9,008
Message 11 of 120

Re: Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud your cooling fans!

My. This is a very helpful guide. May I know what you used to cut through the plastic? Dows this help with the overheating of the ultrabay? Do you have significant temp drops with the uktrabay gpu?
t1mman
Punch Card
Views: 8,995
Message 12 of 120

I haven't checked, but can't we set the fan speed to 100% in the Nvidia Control pannel?

Guru
Views: 8,964
Message 13 of 120

Hi ssjmec

I understand that its your laptop and you can do as you please but why would you re-paste a laptop that works fine.

I have the Y510p and it works great with CPU temps at 70 to 80 at gaming loads and 40-50 for normal operation.

If you are concerned about CPU temps, why not just buy a Cooling pad. It might only cost $20 to $40 depending upon your preference.

The mod provided in this post is nice. I am sure it voids the warranty. Also, I do not agree with changing the plastic body of a Y510p since the companies do a lot of testing before releasing products. A gaming desktop has better lifespan than a gaming notebook. I have done many mods on my desktop but now on my notebook, I would stay away from screwing with the processor/GPU/Motherboard and the body till the time everything is working fine and I am under warranty.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
ssjmec
Paper Tape
Views: 8,952
Message 14 of 120

@t1mmanafaik, nvidia control panel doesn't give this option (atleast on y510p, and every other laptops I had)

@rockykostonI am not saying that it won't run fine, it is just usual that companies use generic thermal pastes and sometimes tend to incorrectly or inefficiently apply it. So re-pasting definitely will help with the cooling. This is also based on experience. And yes, I also have a cooling fan. I just want to make sure that I'll make use of every

possible thing that I can do to make my laptop run cooler.

Apparently, even after "doing a lot of testing" before releasing this product, they still have left out certain issues thus leading to overheating, which is proven by a lot of feedbacks.

I know that setting up a gaming desktop is much better in every aspect. I just have no physical space available and I want a portable machine in which I can play as well as do my work.

Regarding your Y510P, it seems that you haven't done any mod regarding its cooling, and is only using a cooling fan? Can you share your GPU temps while gaming, and the type of games you play on it too? Given your setup, are you not experiencing any throttling durung gaming? Thanks!

Guru
Views: 8,947
Message 15 of 120

I do agree that there are certain aspects that Lenovo had missed to test. (Like SLI for Addon GPU, which is the most widely reported issue here)

Its great that you can re-paste and you have experience doing that on a notebook. I would like if you could paste pictures doing that. It would be helpful to anyone looking for that information. I have never done it, so I might use it at some point of time.

I totally agree with you, space is my problem too and thus I started buying notebooks which are efficient, cheaper and useful for gaming. My last one was Y560 which served me for 3 years without any mods. I did not ever buy a cooling pad, but I am buying now since I feel the Y510p is a more powerful notebook. (I do think that Y560 used to work at similar temps, tested it long time back)

I do not have any mods on my laptop, I just keep it a bit raised from the bottom surface of my desk for proper ventilation. I play games like Thief, Tomb Raider, Hitman Absolution, FIFA 13, Max Paye3, Dead Space 3 etc. , the max temp which I have seen is 85 degree but mostly the CPU's are between 70 and 80.

I have never seen any CPU throttling till now and the frame rates are consistent throughout my gaming time of usually 3 to 4 hours. eg - Thief at High Settings gives around 35fps. Spec Ops the Line at Very High settings gives ~40 fps or more.

If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
ssjmec
Paper Tape
Views: 8,933
Message 16 of 120

I would post some pictures, when my laptop finally arrives. But I believe you can find one or two guides on repasting cpu/gpu on the web.

Well, those are pretty nice temps. I see a lot of users reporting 90C+. You are lucky to get a fine machine out of the box. Lol. Do you have the single 750/755 version or the SLI?

Guru
Views: 8,927
Message 17 of 120

I have the single 755m machine with 8gb ram and 1tb +24 GB SSD. Personally, as of now I think a single GPU is performing great. It has easily surpassed my old laptop performance for fluid gaming, quick boot up.

I had added a 64gb SSD to my y560 but still this new laptop is lightning fast to do tasks specially boot.

I believe most users either don't keep the laptop elevated from the surface or they use it on their laps, so that's a big factor for high temps.

I hope ur machine is also fine like mine. Which config did u purchase?
ssjmec
Paper Tape
Views: 8,920
Message 18 of 120

Might be.. I will wait for mine and see if I will get lucky too Smiley Tongue

I purchased the i7-4700MQ 8GB Ram 1tb+24SSD with single 755m, but I purchased an additional 755m for ultrabay while it was on sale ($99.99)

Oh and if I might ask, which power adapter did your y510p came with? Is it a 170w adapter? Because I have read on some forums that if you bought an SLI config, you will get a 170w bundled but if you purchased a single 755m version, it will not come with it. Which one did you get?

Guru
Views: 8,906
Message 19 of 120

Mine came with 120w adapter. Yes, to power an SLI you will need the 170W adapter. I would advise you not to use SLI with the stock 120w adapter since it has been reported to cause permanent damage to the Adapter and system instability with dropped frame rates and CPU throttling.

Yours is an extra GPU so u will get the 120w.
ssjmec
Paper Tape
Views: 8,895
Message 20 of 120

Oh shoooot. So I do need to buy an extra adapter before trying out SLI. Gonna cost me some more $$$. Oh well... Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors