cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Views: 6,097
Message 21 of 120

Re: Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud your cooling fans!

Well yeah but I had estimated that if you buy the laptop model which you are buying and add an extra GPU($100), an 8gb ram($90) and extra adapter ($30 to 50). You will still save around $100 against the top model available from Lenovo for y510p and you get an extra dvd reader.
---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
Erni3
Serial Port
Views: 6,091
Message 22 of 120

No problem, you could also try just tweaking my script to suite your program. Find all "Energy Management" instances and change them to "Energy Manager". There is a good chance the hidden button name is the same, "DustStart". If it also shows an "OK" button at end of a normal cleaning cycle, it should work just fine.  Good Luck, let me know how it works out either way.

PS, I am working on another version of my original script that runs the fans for longer intervals = more cooling. When I have enough free time I will post an update.

Y510p i7-4700MQ CPU, 16.0 GB Ram, SLi GT 755M, 1TB HD+25GB SSD
Erni3
Serial Port
Views: 6,095
Message 23 of 120

@kramer46       Thank you, I used a Dremel tool with the sanding drum and then I switched to a high speed cutter to get into the tight spots. (pictured in spoiler)                                                                               

Spoiler
bits.png

If you take your time and protect the finish with tape, the mod will be undetectable with the air filter in place. 

This definitely helped with the UltraBay gpu temps! I was experiencing throttling while playing Battlefield 4 and after the mods this no longer happens. I could not believe how buried the UltraBay fan intake was, it's like it was an afterthought with little consideration given to cooling efficiency.

I did not record data before the mod because my original intent was to fix my overheating problems, not create a forum thread Smiley Wink

Erni3
Serial Port
Views: 6,089
Message 24 of 120

He also lives in a pretty cool climate, its nice that we have location information for each user so we can make assumptions about ambient temperature when comparing temps.
Guru
Views: 6,078
Message 25 of 120

Overall, I appreciate your effort at this mod.

I just wish that Lenovo does look at it and hopefully improves the future builds to provide more opening for the fans. I agree with your thought, the whole extra GPU in Ultra bay looks like an after thought and the least tested area by Lenovo.

Though it has improved with the new GT755m ultrabay implementation but still lacks the perfection.

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.
t1mman
Punch Card
Views: 6,068
Message 26 of 120

FYI:  I have a cooling pad and, without the pad I got temperature of 64/69 on a SLI config, CPU going around 52 to 54

With the pad (20$ pad with a fan), GPU is 56/60 and CPU goes from 42 to 46.  

OEM SLI config with dual 750M, 128GB SSD, 8GB

Temperature where optained right after running 3dMark 

t1mman
Punch Card
Views: 6,034
Message 27 of 120

Could you do a silar test to compare?

IE: Run 3dmark latest version w. speedfan and check temperature after.

I'd like to compare results.

Erni3
Serial Port
Views: 5,986
Message 28 of 120

@t1mman           I usually don't check temperatures using this method. The problem is that temperatures can drop quite a bit immediately after heavy load. by the time 3DMark has completed and you check your temps, they will be lower than what they were during load. Use monitoring software that graphs your temps over time. This will allow you to go back and see how hot your components really get during load and help you make more informed decisions about graphics settings and cooling efficiency.  I use MSI Afterburner to monitor my gpu temps and real temp for cpu temp. 

Immediately after testing my gpu tems were 46 and 48. My CPU temp was 54. Looking back, just 2 seconds before, (during load) both GPUs were @ 58.

Link to picture

I like the idea of comparing temps, but we gotta make sure we are all on the same page. Lets post 3DMark scores just for fun too. (not 3DMark 11, I heard this does not push our system as hard as the new 3DMark)

Here's mine:

Link to picture

Lets keep it legit, run without any overclock and post score (and  temps if you want)

And here is a look at my temps at idle while I'm typing this:

Spoiler
Idle_Temps.png

Moderator note; picture(s) converted to link(s) About Posting Pictures In The Forums

kramer46
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 5,968
Message 29 of 120

@Erni3 thanks again.. i shrouded the plastic at the back just like yours. I am not sure how much of an impact it would be but I'm pretty sure it will have a positive effect. And the script you wrote for the infinite fan cleaning loop works really great. If you have the new script that you are talking about please share it to us. I really appreciate the work you have done. The ultrabay gpu temps are really a problem with me and with this at least I don't see some throttling anymore on the games I played. (Y)

Sarthak
Blue Screen Again
Views: 5,964
Message 30 of 120

Could you please describe the process with some images too.  

Thanks in advance Smiley Happy

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors