cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Erni3
Serial Port
Views: 4,350
Message 31 of 120

Re: Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud your cooling fans!

You can use the pictures I posted on the 1st page as a guide. They show exactly what needs to be trimmed. A Dremel tool works well for this.
Y510p i7-4700MQ CPU, 16.0 GB Ram, SLi GT 755M, 1TB HD+25GB SSD
Sarthak
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,332
Message 32 of 120

Thank you so much! Smiley Happy

zabe_
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,975
Message 33 of 120

Hello!

First of all i gotta thank you for this giude - it rocks. But for some reason i've managed to get my 2nd GPU temps only to peak at 91degrees celcius (a bit better than 98C before modding but still). Is there anything else you've done? I have excactly the same systems as yours with 8gb less ram and i use an external cooler pad under my pc.

Erni3
Serial Port
Views: 3,933
Message 34 of 120

@zabe_ wrote:

Hello!

First of all i gotta thank you for this giude - it rocks. But for some reason i've managed to get my 2nd GPU temps only to peak at 91degrees celcius (a bit better than 98C before modding but still). Is there anything else you've done? I have excactly the same systems as yours with 8gb less ram and i use an external cooler pad under my pc.

Hi zabe_

I'm glad I was able to help you with such a significant drop in temperature. One thing I can suggest is running your laptop without the air filter. try holding your hand behind that filter while you blow through it and you will understand how much restriction your cooling pad is trying to blow through. If it helps your temps then its worth the little bit of dust that will build up over time. It's very easy to take the bottom off and clean the fans and heatsink with a can of compressed air as needed. Also keep in mind that your laptop's operating temperature is directly proportional to the ambient temp in the room. The easiest way to drop a couple degrees in temp is to keep your room a little cooler if possible (shouldn't be too hard in Finland) Smiley Happy

As a last resort you can use MSI Afterburner or similar program to slightly Underclock the GPU that is overheating. This could cause a noticeable reduction in performance or solve your problem...

Let me know if any of that helps.

Y510p i7-4700MQ CPU, 16.0 GB Ram, SLi GT 755M, 1TB HD+25GB SSD
aleman509
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,679
Message 35 of 120

I have 2 questions about this mod:

First, when i remove my back cover from the laptop, the back cover is actually attached to my laptop with a silver sheet of what looks like reflective thermal paper. This safe to cut? I can only get the cover an inch or so away from the laptop without cutting it.

Second, I am running Win 7 64 pro on my y510p and I think that's why your scrip isn't working for me. I've been trying to write a script for it (I'm new to AHK scripts and extrememly challenged) and I'm having no luck. I didn't know if you had a Win7 script already written or not.

Thanks!

octiceps
Punch Card
Views: 3,600
Message 36 of 120

Awesome work, Ernie! I removed the mesh over the dust filter (but not the entire thing), did the cutouts for the intakes, and applied the fan script. Now my Ultrabay GPU has dropped about 10C and no longer gets into the mid-90's and starts throttling in PlanetSide 2. Thanks!

BTW, how's your new-and-improved fan script coming along? Currently, the system still heats up during the breaks between fan cycles. I'd be ecstatic if you can increase the time interval, or even let the fan run full speed indefinitely! Smiley Very Happy
Lenovo IdeaPad Y500
Windows 8 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7-3630QM | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Nvidia GeForce GT 650M SLI | 1TB 5400RPM HDD + 16GB SSD | 15.6" FHD Glossy

kaeru_p
Punch Card
Views: 3,586
Message 37 of 120

Awesome Script by the way. Loved it.

One question though if there is anyone here or someone who has found a good alternative to the shroud.

Im tempted to remove mine however theres a severe problem since I move around a lot. Also I dont wanna make that damage to the sides though I Might mod a fan instead.

Im thinking sticking in something like a Car Aircon Vent something that can close when you transport it.

Car Aircon Vent

I only keep my laptop and my Graphics Tablet in this bag though. I also keep it always in the Bag when not in use.

Memory Foam Bag

Then I place that Same bag in a much more larger bag like this.

Samsonite two Gusset Classic Bag.

Then the Samsonite into a Backpack.

Sounds ridicolous but its an added protection. The Backpack is to alliviate the weight + Deter any pickpockets + avoid suspicion. Its normal for a college student here to carry some bulky bags (Let others into thinking its some clothes etc.)

Considering how I transport it would it be advisable to just unshroud it completely or make a makeshift cover that closes/open to deter any dust when not using.

PS: Considering this awful country only provides a 1 yr warranty its close to being null. Id rather take my chances with making a mod to the vent for optimal performace and Mod.
+ Im considering making a 12v Fan for my incoming NotePal u3  maybe 3x 120mm? that runs on socket for optimal perfomance, Is this a good Idea for an unshrouded vent?

octiceps
Punch Card
Views: 3,518
Message 38 of 120

OK, after extensive testing in the power virus of a game that is PlanetSide 2, I've come to the realization that the fan script is in fact no better at reducing heat under full load (constant 99% GPU usage) than auto fan.

What I mean is, the Dust Removal procedure consists of 9 seconds full blast, 2 seconds idle, and during those 2 seconds, the heat picks right back up to what it was before, with temperatures even spiking past what they were on auto fan. Auto, which seems to keep it at a constant 75% fan speed under full system load, is actually more effective in this case.

What is really needed to cool this laptop down is constant 100% fan speed. Or a much longer interval, say 30 seconds on, 2 seconds off. Big thumbs up if Earnie can work his magic again and make this happen.
Lenovo IdeaPad Y500
Windows 8 Pro x64 | Intel Core i7-3630QM | 8GB DDR3-1600 | Nvidia GeForce GT 650M SLI | 1TB 5400RPM HDD + 16GB SSD | 15.6" FHD Glossy

mdusch
Paper Tape
Views: 3,500
Message 39 of 120

What could you add to the script to decrease the delay between dust cleaning sessions?

kaeru_p
Punch Card
Views: 3,449
Message 40 of 120

Just a question can someone make a more detailed Tut on how to remove the dust filter I think that might be just enough to help temps. Wondering if you could do it w/o any unscrewing anything or is necessary to get to those 16 tabs?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors