cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TSCrighton
What's DOS?
Views: 7,366
Message 71 of 120

Re: Y510p Ultimate Cooling Mods Revealed...Unshroud your cooling fans!

I've downloaded AutoHotkey, put your spoiler code into the "edit script" section and reloaded the script... however, when I try to press the hotkey (Ctrl+Alt+F) to run the script... nothing happens... the dust removal process does not commence and loop...

Please help!

Also, it seems to me like my temps are unordinarily high... I'm running MSI Afterburner to check my temps and while my GPU temps are fine and low, my CPU 1-8 are hovering around 60-80 degrees while sometimes spiking up to the 90s... and that's just when I'm browsing the web, writing on forums and such... Not even gaming!! Is that crazy or...??

t1mman
Punch Card
Views: 7,357
Message 72 of 120

Has anyone of you tryed with and without the script?  

Because, honestly, the system is "sensor activated", so it's supposed to run the fans faster as soon as the temperature rises.  I'm curious to see if the script does any good at all.

allstone
Paper Tape
Views: 7,291
Message 73 of 120

You can also try IdeaFan http://forum.techinferno.com/lenovo-ibm/7358-ideafan-y510p.html . It still has some issues but at least 1.3 keeps my GPU from throttling.

duuba2
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,289
Message 74 of 120

That´s great, thank you!!

DH264
Serial Port
Views: 7,242
Message 75 of 120

This is great thank you man!
========================================================
I have Lenovo Y510p 8GB RAM, Core i7 4700MQ, GT755m SLI, 8GB SSD,
1 TB HDD
Sanchezar
Blue Screen Again
Views: 6,667
Message 76 of 120

Dude,

Awesome script, awesome mod, great points, you're the best.

BUT....

Get this....

When running the dust removal script, certain games will not launch.  Space Engineers, Far Cry 3, pretty much anything running from Steam.   I've tried a few different work arounds.  I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing trouble with running games while the dust removal script is in progress.

Thanks All!

Much Love!

I Void Warranties.
Leijonasisu
Serial Port
Views: 6,627
Message 77 of 120

Hey guys.

I'd really love to do this mod. But I am worried that it will void my warranty obviously. Even though it's only modding the plastic and I am doing nothing to components.

So I was thinking, if I purchase another 'bottom' for this laptop, that is not unshrouded and just keep it in my warehouse. If the laptop breaks, can I put the shrouded, non-modified bottom on the laptop and send it off for warranty? That way I can modify the bottom that I already have.

I really don't want to lose my 3 year warranty on this... and I am sure that someday it will die due to overheating Smiley Sad

Getting high temps in the 90s here and sometimes my games crash due to overheating.

Got the dual 755m version.

EDIT: Okay, I just did this because I had nothing else to do and I figured what-the-hell. Anything that may stop my laptop crashing in the middle of playing games would be great. I don't have a cooler, but I am looking at getting either the Coolermaster U3 or the ZM-NC3000U. Both of which I think would be great for this laptop. I also put the dust guard back on, unlike the OP because I think in the long run it's better and I still want my laptop to look nice.

Temps of the GPUs at Idle (having the exact same cuts as the OP in his pictures:

GPU 1 (with the CPU): 54-55°C

GPU 2 (Ultrabay card): 52°C

CPU: 53-57°C

No real difference from before it seems. I forgot to test my cards and CPU before I removed the plastic. So someone else should post their temps with an unmodded bottom just for reference.

I'm really overall not happy with these temps. There really should be no real reason why they cannot be lower... Lenovo, I knew this laptop would be hot when I bought it, but there is no reason why you should have so barely covered these cards in the first place. Let alone designed the laptop in such a way that it can get so hot. It's by no means a budget laptop, so cooling needs to be better.

The sad thing is, if I put my desk fan, with about a 260mm circumfrence turned on at max about 2 feet away from my left GPU/CPU fan. Temps don't even drop by 1°C with the constant flow of cold air right at the machine. Really disappointing, that's why I will be interested to see what the differences are with a cooler. One person reckons they got temps 24°C lower in their HP laptop. MMMV on this laptop but it's worth throwing down the money to make the laptop last.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for buying the bottom of this laptop from someone who's has broken so I can keep my warranty in check.

t1mman
Punch Card
Views: 6,611
Message 78 of 120

Did you take an  extended waranty?  Because the base waranty is 1 year, not 3...

Varroa
802.11n
Views: 6,609
Message 79 of 120

I looked into this and at least in Canada a spare bottom was something like $150!

allstone
Paper Tape
Views: 6,600
Message 80 of 120

Its very strange - I have played through all Far Cry 3 and it ran
perfectly! Not sure about space engineers though.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors