Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cjur
Punch Card
Views: 5,861
Message 1 of 11

Y510p Ultrabay GPU overheating extremely easily

Hello,

I bought a y510p in december, and ever since getting SLI to work after the Win 8.1 upgrade, I've been completely dissapointed by the performance of the ultrabay GPU. It overheats and crashes the nvidia driver in minutes.

While the on board GPU remains at acceptable temps, the ultrabay GPU will steadily rise in temperature untill the driver crashes, while playing somewhat demanding games like Bioshock Infinite, Witcher 2 or Wargame AirLand Battle. Ironically I get far batter performance in these games, if I disable SLI and only run the games on the on board GPU. In less intensive games like Red Orchestra 2, temps are not critical and SLI works fine - this is however a moot point, since I would be able to run these games just fine without an extra GPU.

I paid a lot of money for that extra GPU, and seeing it being effectively useless is quite infuriating. 

Inb4: Yes, I have the newest drivers. Yes, I've cleaned for dust. Yes, I've undervolted the CPU and underclocked the ultrabay GPU and drastically reduced the in game graphics quality - which brought me to the conclusion that I get better quality disabling SLI altogether. 

Unless there is a solution to this, I will absolutely be taking the machine back, as in its current state, I feel that the ultrabay card is effectively useless. Futhermore I get the feeling that Lenovo just jammed it in there without any consideration as to whether it would actually work out practically.  Below is proof of temps while playing Airland Battle:

ultrabaygpu.jpg

onboardgpu.png

Cjur
Punch Card
Views: 5,825
Message 2 of 11

Re: Y510p Ultrabay GPU overheating extremely easily

Can anyone atleast confirm they are running Bioshock Inifite on y510p with SLI enabled, without these problems?

viperburkh
Punch Card
Views: 5,821
Message 3 of 11

I've seen articles online where the problem was so severe people were disassembling the UltraBay GPU and repasting the GPU due to terrible pasting job from the factory.

Cjur
Punch Card
Views: 5,786
Message 4 of 11

For now, I found that setting PhysX to CPU and not let it automatically pick the ultrabay GPU for this task has helped, along with forcing adaptive vertical sync onto my games through the nvidia control panel. Now I can play games without the nvidia driver crashing. However, ultrabay heat is still a huge bottleneck for the performance of the y510p, and I'm having to run games at an unsatisfying low quality. 

Is it really just me who is having this problem? Im not inclined to start disassembling a machine that I've barely had for a month. 

fejerm
Paper Tape
Views: 5,742
Message 5 of 11

No, many others with 750M and 755M also have this problem with the ultrabay VGA (some even have problem with the CPU too due to bad paste job).

90 C on the picture is not quite acccurate, the temp actually reaches 98C and the GPU starts to lower the core clock to try to save itself. 

Buying a cooler pad would not help either it would just slow down the overheat process. 

The only good solutions that could be applied without modifying the hardware would be:

1) undervolt the GPU -

2) increase ultrabay fan speed to maximum RPM (Yes, the fan only runs on about 70% and it only runs on 100% when dust removal is active)

I tried to lower the voltage of the main GPU+ultrabay GPU, but I have failed, even though I edited the vbios in a hex editor, the voltage still remaned  1,1180 V for the ultrabay vga and the fan control is locked in the bios and only Lenovo can access it. 

In other works only Lenovo could fix this issue, however they seem to not care. 

Cjur
Punch Card
Views: 5,737
Message 6 of 11

You're right, the fan isn't running anywhere near fast enough, even though the ultrabay is boiling. A BIOS change should fix that, so why hasn't one been made, if the problem is so prevalent?

fejerm
Paper Tape
Views: 5,723
Message 7 of 11

Probably because then  some people would complain that the laptop is too loud ... or maybe Lenovo just doesn't care. 

Skidborg
Paper Tape
Views: 931
Message 8 of 11

Still having this problem. Is there still no solution?
JimMorrison723
Paper Tape
Views: 310
Message 9 of 11

I don't think there is any. i try to replace thermal paste this week, hopefully it will be easy and worth it.
LanceTheeGamer
802.11n
Views: 300
Message 10 of 11

A couple of years ago I modded and repasted my y410p to lower the temperatures. Even though I haven't done anything to the laptop since then, it's still holding up and I can game with both GPUs and no thermal issues. I'll link you to an old Reddit post I made back then concerning the things I did and can be done to these laptops. The Reddit post in question.

If you have any questions or concerns about any of that feel free to ask me. Also remember that you can feel free to adjust the numbers on the undervolts and CPU speeds to fit your particular chips. Good luck mates on getting this long term issue solved.

y410p - Windows 10 x64 | i7-4700MQ | 16GB RAM |GT 755M SLI| 512GB ZTC M.2 |
3DMark: 4228 - http://www.3dmark.com/fs/7029653

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors