Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matthewkee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 144
Message 1 of 3

Y510p Wakes with Lid closed, overheats

I understand this is a long shot, due to number of possible software variables, but I need help, as this is becoming a more and more frequent problem.

I have a y510p. It is running Windows 8.1, haven't jumped to 10 yet. I run pretty average software - Google Chrome, Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, obviously a few other things. 

I've been having a problem where for reasons I do not understand the laptop, which I bring around with me in a backpack, has been waking up after I disconnect from power and USB dock and close the lid. I don't know when it wakes up, or if it just isn't sleeping at all, but it is quite problematic in that it will at the very least just drain the battery every night and worse it is just cooking and cooking in the backpack. 

I know it is a stupid thing, but I do find it a tremendous nuisance to sit there and stare at the status LEDs every day when I'm ready to go home just to make sure the stupid thing has absolutely gone to sleep.

Control Panel - Power Options are set to sleep on Lid close (tried Hibernate on Lid close, no better result), and this even happens when WiFi is disabled in Control Panel - Network connections. The Always On USB port is also disabled in BIOS.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 128
Message 2 of 3

Re: Y510p Wakes with Lid closed, overheats

Hi,

I don't have an answer, but a couple of questions:

Is it set to hibernate based on a timer?  I wonder if it's going to sleep on lid close, then waking later and trying to hibernate - but something prevents that so it sits and cooks.

Anything in the system logs?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

matthewkee
Fanfold Paper
Views: 114
Message 3 of 3

Re: Y510p Wakes with Lid closed, overheats

Hi, thanks for replying. There is no hibernate on timer that I am aware of. I am not even familiar with this as an option.

I'm seeing in Event Viewer there are software events occurring when the computer is definitely supposed to be asleep. One is EPCP happening over and over and over, which seems to be some kind of Epson Customer Participation utility? I've now uninstalled the only thing I can see that being, other than the printer software itself. The other thing is many many calls to Security SPP and it always has wildly different details. This appears to be licensing checks. But again, the computer should be quite asleep.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors