cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MKBim
Paper Tape
Views: 247
Message 1 of 2

Y510p randomly shutdown. Stopped charging. Details inside.

I'm currently posting this from my phone so forgive me for any typos. I was playing a session of Overwatch when suddenly my laptop just shutdown. I then caught a whiff of a burning smell and couldn't detect if it was coming off the laptop.

I was still able to start the laptop back up, but I noticed that the battery was draining despite having the AC adapter plugged in. It detected the AC adapter even, as it was in high performance mode...

I just figured that the AC adapter was fried as despite being plugged in for a while after, it never got warm. So I went on amazon and ordered a replacement adapter. It's a 45N0112 adapter, an official Lenovo one. Tried to plug it in as of now, and I get nothing. 

Battery led doesn't even blink. Tried the drain thing and it doesn't work. Removed the battery and tried to see if it would work of AC alone and I got nothing as well. 

The odd thing is that when I plug in the old adapter, the led for the battery blinks but it hardly provides charge. I can still start up my laptop with what little charge is left so I'm safe to assume it's not a motherboard issue?

What the heck is really going on? I saw all over that a 45N0112 adapter works for y510p as well, and the adapter I bought on amazon was from Lenovo for the y510p itself. Could it be I got a faulty adapter or is my motherboards input voltage gone to whack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've never had any problems with this laptop, but this is infuriating me.

Guru
Views: 224
Message 2 of 2

Re: Y510p randomly shutdown. Stopped charging. Details inside.

I think it could be the port on the motherboard where the charger connects. I have seen people here who have easily replaced that part ( If I find the post I will provide a link).

Have you tried connecting to a different wall outlet?

---------------------------------
Current System - Lenovo Y720
Y720 REVIEW - Youtube Link (Opens in New Tab)
If your experience was good today, please feel free to give KUDOS. It Ain't Over, 'til it's over.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors