cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dreampkt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,747
Message 1 of 9

Y530 ethernet not working, wireless works, all default setting, help!

Hi, I have a Y530, just bought less than 1 month.  The wireless works fine, but whenever I plug the ethernet cable in, the comp cannot ID and won't connect.  I tried installing the Broadcom Fast Ethernet from Lenovo drivers and DL page but it didn't work.  I am thinking this has to do with Vista-32 set-up.  Anyway, please help me if you can.  I can use wireless just fine. All settings in the comp is pretty much default.  Thank you.
Retired Guru
Views: 2,736
Message 2 of 9

Re: Y530 ethernet not working, wireless works, all default setting, help!

1) Are Ethernet drivers installed (no yellow marks in Device Manager)

2) Are all settings of "TCP/IP v 4" in prperties of Ethernet card in Networks Manager setto default/automatic?

3) Do you have DHCP enabled on your router? 

Are other laptops able to connect via that cable?

//help will save the world
dreampkt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,713
Message 3 of 9

Yes, the ethernet driver is installed and the device is working properly according to Windows.

DHCP server is set to  "on" under LAN setting of router.

The ethernet property"TCP/IP v4" is also set to automatically obtain IP address, which is the default setting.

I don't understand why it does not work.  I have been using a Dell Inspiron 6000 (Windows XP) before this laptop and wireless and ethernet worked fine.  Maybe Windows Vsta is the cause here?

Thanks for your input.

Retired Guru
Views: 2,703
Message 4 of 9

you connect via ethernet and wifi simultaneosly? you need a living Einstein to tune such situation in Vista, I give up...
dreampkt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,674
Message 5 of 9

With XP I can just plug in the ethernet and it takes over the wireless connection as the main connection.  However, with Vista, I disable the wireless then plug in the ethernet but it doesn't recognize (can't ID) the network, and hence no internet connection can be established.  The only reason why I would like to use the ethernet port is that data download should be quicker when directly plugged into the DSL modem.  Anyway, hope you can figure something out.....or if anyone knows of a remedy to this problem.  Thanks!!
6thSense
Punch Card
Views: 2,647
Message 6 of 9

dreampkt 

Someitmes, Vista is a little slow to connect via Ethernet....some things to try:

- Turn your wireless OFF. 

-  Select CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK & INTERNET then Network Connections. There should be an icon for your LAN and one for your Wireless. Is it "enabled?" If not, right mouse click and enable it.

-  Select CONTROL PANEL, NETWORK & INTERNET then Network and Sharing Center. is there a RED X on the connection? if so, mouse click on it and try a "repair connection".

6thSense 

dreampkt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,639
Message 7 of 9

After I disable the wireless coonection and then plug the ethernet in, the LAN icon will become "enable" and the "red x" disappears. Vista is then trying to identifying the connection and after 30 sec to 1 minute, it cannot establish a connection (unidentified network).  I try to repair it but with no success.  It's set to auto get IP address but still not working.  I also tried resetting the router.  It's just weird...it should just simply be plug and play.....

Thanks for the input 6thSense. 

Retired Guru
Views: 2,630
Message 8 of 9

Maybe your router has MAC-adress filtration? Note that your WiFi and Ethernec card have different MAC-adresses.
dreampkt
Paper Tape
Views: 2,609
Message 9 of 9

Thanks skripatch !!!  I use MAC filtration on my router and did not realize that the wireless card and LAN ethernet have different MAC addresses.  Thanks for your continued help.  Im glad you didn't give up! Smiley Happy  Once I plug the ethernet cable in, it started working in like 5 seconds and Vista actually manage both the wireless and LAN at the same time, but I just turn the wireless off and only use LAN....

Thanks to all for your help

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors