Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slack04
Paper Tape
Views: 2,064
Message 1 of 4

Y550 4186 disk partitioning, onekey

Hi- thanks for reading my question. first i apologize if this has already been asked and answered- these forums are a bit of a hodge-podge and very difficult to search. i have spent at least 4 hours here trying to answer several questions and have come up more confused than i was before.... ok- here goes:

INFORMATION ABOUT MY SYSTEM:

2.2ghz T6600 core2duo

NVIDEA G210m graphics

4gb ram

Win7 home premium

320gb HDD preconfigured with 4 partitions. i know that the 200mb partition is a windows 7 thing, so i won't ask about that one. the other three are:

C: @270gb - this is where windows was installed

D: @30gb - this has about 2 gigs of drivers in folders and nothing else

[OEM]: @15gb - I think this one contains the OneKey restore image (correct me if i'm wrong)

My Questions:

i prefer to make my own backup image after doing a clean install of a clean copy of windows. that way i don't have all the crap that comes with the computer and i have all my important software installed and preconfigured if i need to reinstall. i usually keep this on a seperate partition. i don't mind losing everything currently on the computer.

1 - can i delete the C: and D: partitions and create a new C of 30gb and D of the rest, clean install windows on the C: drive, and back it up with onekey (to the current unnnamed partition)?

2 - if i can't do this with OneKey, can i delete the OEM partition and make my own backup partition?

3 - if i do this, what software will i need to get from lenovo to get the computer working again (ie- the webcam, slidenav, audio/video buttons, etc). is there a registry of this software?

Thank you so much for your kind responses. I just got this computer and look forward to being a member of this community!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 2,055
Message 2 of 4

Re: Y550 4186 disk partitioning, onekey

- if you make any changes on your volumes, one key recover doesn't work.
- you can delete c and d, but i suggest to to create more than 30 gb for c ( system volume may need more space )
- you can delete oem partition if you'll never use it again.
- and yes, you can make your backup partition, too.
- you'll need all the drivers application such as graphic, sound, network adapters, power management for acpi driver, etc..
- if you don't want to use, no need to install softwares ( veriface, one key recover etc. )

here's the previous post Smiley Happy

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-Y-and-U-series-Laptops/Y550P-Clean-Install/td-p/198819

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
slack04
Paper Tape
Views: 2,019
Message 3 of 4

thanks for the quick response! is it possible to create my own image and use the onekey software to restore it? also, while i'm asking, is it possible to repurpose the onekey button (or any of the other buttons) to an application or something else? thanks again.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 1,988
Message 4 of 4

you can create different types of recovery discs based on your needs.

the recovery discs are used to boot up your computer automatically and restore your system back to a previously backed up status:

-  recovery disc with current system: burns current windows system data directly to a cd/dvd disc.

- recovery disc with existing backup image: burns the system image file to a cd/dvd disc.

- factory default recovery disc: burns the content on the hidden partition to a cd/dvd disc. if your hard drive ever fails and you are unable to use onekey recovery, you can use the recovery discs to restore your hard drive to the factory default.

yes, it's possible to create your own backup.

it is also possible to use one key recover or any button for anything else, but you need bios edit or application to activate it. 

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors