Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,564
Message 31 of 123

Re: Y550 No Intel VT Support?

Holy cow, Batman....... this is a problem. I just purchased a Y550 with a Core 2 Duo P8700 that they have documented as having VT Support. I do a lot of developing and I purchased this machine because of the 8Gig Mem max, 512 Video Card, to add a bit of fun and the ability of Hardware VT with the 2.53 processor. I did not get the machine yet, but I will cancel my order first thing monday moring. This laptop is badly advertised. I do not have the luxury of time to wait till they respond. So I am simply going to cancel the order and pick up a Sony, HP or even a MAC. That really sucks......

bwpotter
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,553
Message 32 of 123

Well, at least you found out about it imanym before getting the Y550.  It's a shame that you can't take advantage of all the other features of the Y-series.  I trust you'll inform them of the reason for cancellation.  Perhaps it'll help our cause!

I'll be following up on my support ticket as well next week.

In the meantime, I can't stress enough how important phone calls to Technical Support can be in persuading management/marketing to look more closely at a problem. If you own a Y-series VT-capable machine and VT support is important to you, please call Technical support at 877-453-6686 and open up a support ticket.

T400 2764CTO
Windows 7 x64
idumlupinar
Serial Port
Views: 2,556
Message 33 of 123

I'm calling outside US and whenever i try the line is busy and tech is helping other customers, can someone call and make pressure for me too?

We are waiting for weeks and there has been no progress from Lenovo.

I think we are just being ignored here.

If i can't get a offical reply in next 24 hours, i will share my experience at popular notebook forums,

and they won't be positive feedbacks since we couldn't get any response from Lenovo.

http://www.ismetdumlupinar.com
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,518
Message 34 of 123

Yeah bwpotter, I am very disappointed. I did take a trip to J and R and did look at the Sony and HP. Turned out the HP had the VT enable switch in the bios (I have 2 HPs and wanted something different) event the Sony didn't have that feature in the bios. I ended up getting a MacBook Pro with 256 Video. I will be writing a lengthy letter to Lenovo though. Also, I would consider buying one in the near future if this is corrected though.

Good Luck to you. 

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,500
Message 35 of 123

idumlupinar wrote:

We are waiting for weeks and there has been no progress from Lenovo.

I think we are just being ignored here.

If i can't get a offical reply in next 24 hours, i will share my experience at popular notebook forums,

While there are a few Lenovo employees roaming around in here helping out on a volunteer basis, this is not an official support channel. Instead, this is designed to be a user-to-user support and discussion forum. You may or may not get an answer directly from one of the Lenovo employees as there are way more of us than them and all of them, even Mark, have full-time jobs doing other things.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

christopherlang
802.11n
Views: 2,479
Message 36 of 123

Ah lucky you...I wish I had known this before I bought my Ideapad Smiley Sad

--I want to add that I just cannot believe that we are having to contend with an issue like this.

Message Edited by christopherlang on 07-19-2009 02:00 PM
christopherlang
802.11n
Views: 2,484
Message 37 of 123

Yes, and is why we are phoning Lenovo. People please call if this is an issue for you.
christopherlang
802.11n
Views: 2,427
Message 38 of 123

For some of the Sony's there is a bios mod to enable VT. I think a mod for both those with Phoenix or AMI Aptio EFI bios (btw same chip in some of the ideapads).
idumlupinar
Serial Port
Views: 2,405
Message 39 of 123

Still no VT support?

I sold my desktop pc which had x64 virtual machines.

And had to use those virtual machines at my new y550.

However,

VT Support has been disabled from BIOS and i just can't enable it without a bios update.

Please support your customers Lenovo.

I can't call from Turkey everyday.

http://www.ismetdumlupinar.com
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,365
Message 40 of 123

The problem is that the consumer products for the most part do not have this feature. I checked every machine in JandR and all of them did not have this feature built into the bios. The problem is that laptops unlike desktops, have a more restrictive hardware specs due to the nature of the business (laptops are designed and customized by the vendor for the manufacturer, I know you know that so I will move on). Intel will make an attempt to upgrade(or he motherboard vendors) a system with the use of an external software layer that will talk to the hardware and enable the device, but the problem is that software is design based on a specification that may not be advantageous to the particular laptop, this is why they issue a disclaimer that you should check with your hardware vendor first. This is an issue that IBM needs to resolve due to the various flavors of system configurations that are involved in this issue.

HP is the ONLY manufacturer that I know of that have this level of consistency with their consumer products. You can bet your bottom dollar that if you get an HP that has VT hardware support from the vendors, they have the support built in the design of the machine (With the exception of maybe DELL). If I buy a machine that possess hardware that supports this feature then the system configuration better support it (like having a 3G phone, on a network that only supports 2G???)

To all, I did notify the IBM support as to why I canceled my order. Hopefully, within the year or sooner they will make this correction then I can trade my HP for a lenovo Y450. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors