Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,867
Message 51 of 123

Re: Y550 No Intel VT Support?

Wow, what a statement:

"The official position / answer is that IdeaPads do not support VT even though some of the CPUs could theoretically be capable.  I know some members will be quick with a link to show a document somewhere, either on the Lenovo or Intel site that shows a CPU has having VT support."

I will start of by telling you the specific models that have VT Hardware support from HP.

1) HP DV6149US (I bought this computer for my wife)

2) HP NV032UA HDX  

In any case. I made my purchase of the Y550 due to the document that was provided by you on the products purchase page. The document stated that the processor had VT Support. After this thread I notice that you provided a new document (that I have not seen until the date I read your response) that makes no mention of VT support, also the document that you provided did not have the model of the notebook that I ended up canceling. Any case, that is what is called false advertisement, unless you are implying that the processor can be taken out of the laptop and used elsewhere. Also, this will also question the other abilities which are hardware specific in any of your documentation. With that said, the documentation that you provide that educates the consumer of the abilities of the laptop components are not accurate and will basically mean that we should not go by the documentation that may be provided to educate the ability of your product. Since I have already made my choice and went with the MacBook Pro, I am fine, but I really feel badly for th folks you duped into purchasing a product that were misimformed by you.

cntse2008
SCSI Port
Views: 2,822
Message 52 of 123

@imanym

I'm assuming that since you bought the first one for your wife that you've been using the second one you listed, so you have personal experience with the VT capability.  I'm just checking because I cannot find any documentation that describes the VT tech on HP's site.  The only thing that mentioned virtualization was a FAQ about the Windows 7 upgrade offer, which was cryptic at best.  It didn't say anything about the specific model, just that the upgrade DVD has all the capabilities, but that microsoft was planning on making it downloadable...or something.

The spec sheet for the model doesn't say anything about VT, just some basic specs about what CPU, how much memory, size of HDD, etc.

I really hope this HP (the NV032UA HDX) has the VT in the BIOS. If so, then there's something wrong with Lenovo's "consumer grade" stance and they need to rethink about their bid into the "consumer" market.  Also, if it does, there will be a Y730 on craigslist for $900.

szatkoff
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,773
Message 53 of 123

Mark_Lenovo has obviously gave us Lenovo's position. We as a consumer don't except this position. Please continue to contact Lenovo support and voice your displeasure. It is unacceptable that we were sold notebooks with the Intel VT feature disabled, when the documentation for this processor(including Lenovo's) states support for it. If Lenovo does not plan on supporting features on it's products, then Lenovo needs to say so in it's product literature, otherwise support for said feature is implied.
christopherlang
802.11n
Views: 2,664
Message 54 of 123

Interesting discussion on some of the new Windows 7 virtualization capabilities. Due to Lenovo's stance on VT seems our Ideapad's are already antiquated before we have even purchased them.

"XPM is built on the next generation Microsoft Virtual PC 7 product line, which requires processor-based virtualization support (Intel and AMD) to be present and enabled on the underlying PC, much like Hyper-V, Microsoft's server-side virtualization platform. However, XPM is not Hyper-V for the client. It is instead a host-based virtualization solution like Virtual PC; the hardware assistance requirement suggests this will be the logical conclusion of this product line from a technological standpoint. That is, we fully expect future client versions of Windows to include a Hyper-V-based hypervisor."

This is some major functionaility that we are SOL on.  I need to sell this thing. Well here is a link to the remainder of the write-up: http://community.winsupersite.com/blogs/paul/archive/2009/04/24/secret-no-more-revealing-virtual-win...

christopherlang
802.11n
Views: 2,663
Message 55 of 123

On edit... Never did bother to followup on the case I opened. The return call which took a few weeks to get that even and then they did not even have the model number right. What a joke. Good luck everyone.
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,640
Message 56 of 123

Wow, that is an excellent observation Christopher. This will mean that the majority of the consumers that will try to use the addin for XP Mode once windows 7 is released will be stuck and find that the feature will not work at all. Man, that is bad news and places Lenovo at the end of the evolutionary chain...
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,561
Message 57 of 123

Again, it is a very good point that Chis made, here is more information in relation to the requirements needed in order to get the XP Mode up and running. Microsoft has a tutorial on how to get the XP Mode to work by enabling the VT in your bios. 

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,275
Message 58 of 123

NO XP Mode for Lenovo Notebooks!!!

If you have been fortunate enough to read the posting "Y550 No Intel VT Support?" you will get know that Lenovo has made a stance of no VT support on any of its ideapad model computers even thought the hardware the resides in the units will support this technology. For those of you that want to get the new Windows 7 offering and would like to run your old programs that worked on XP, or are like me a developer that needs to have more than one environment on on there notebook, or have invested in some XP programs and would like to use those programs in your new Windows 7 machine. Unfortunately as noted by a Lenovo rep, there is no intension for Lenovo to provide this level of support to its ideapad computers even though their hardware supports such advanced features. Before you purchase be sure that you check the below web page. I personally order for the Y550 canceled my order 2 days later which fell on a Saturday. Then followed by a call to Lenovo, to cancel. They canceled, but I received a confirmation email a day later at 7:30PM (after business hours Lenovo Business Hours) that my order was shipped. They then charged my card and then on top of that charged me $27.00 for shipping claiming I did not notify them in time on the order that was not due to ship until 08/05/09. I since then purchased a Mac. I am dissappointed with lenovo, but I am interested in the ideapad, still.... (go figure). 

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

eeKyy
Punch Card
Views: 2,267
Message 59 of 123

Re: NO XP Mode for Lenovo Notebooks!!!

That really suck if I will not be able to run my older programs on Windows 7 with IdeaPad Y530 (which I already have ). And Lenovo should do sth with it. I am going to get rid of my current laptop and get new one which support Intel VT if that going to be true.
Ideapad Y530; P9500 @ 2.53 GHz; 250 GB 7200 rpm HDD; 4 GB OCZ RAM, nVIDIA GeForce 9300M GS
szatkoff
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,246
Message 60 of 123

Re: NO XP Mode for Lenovo Notebooks!!!

I think Lenovo and other notebook manufacturers are selling themselves short and screwing their customers at the same time. As previously stated in other threads, Lenovos PFRef documents for the CPUs show that processors like the P8600 supports Intel VT, but they do not state in the PFRef documents for the Ideapad that they are NOT supporting Intel VT in the Ideapad line of products, therefore infering that there will be support. I believe they feel that if a business customer needs VT support, they will pay a premium and buy a Thinkpad. Well, Microsoft has thrown a wrench in the with the introduction of Windows 7 and Windows XP mode, which now targets VT support toward the consumer.

If you NEED Intel VT support, stay clear of the Ideapad.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors