Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
szatkoff
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,455
Message 61 of 123

Re: Y550 No Intel VT Support?

The introduction of Windows 7 and Windows XP mode has made VT support available to the consumer. It's ridiculous that they won't enable VT support for the Ideapad laptops with CPUs that support the feature.
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,152
Message 62 of 123

Re: NO XP Mode for Lenovo Notebooks!!!

Well, not all consumer notebook makers. HP's consumer products that have hardware that support this functionality do have VT Support built into their bios, for sure. It would be hard for me to believe that Dell does not have this feature as well, but I can not state as fact as I do not know for sure. However, I can say for sure that HP does and has been since they introduced the DV series of laptops, I believe back in 2006.
thnkwhatyouthnk
Punch Card
Views: 2,139
Message 63 of 123

When you go to the page you linked above and click on the link entitled "Configure BIOS", they actually have sample instructions for Dell, HP and Lenovo Thinkpads. Whereas they single out the Thinkpad line for Lenovo, they do not make any sort of exception for Dell or HP. Interesting...
650backordered
Punch Card
Views: 1,869
Message 64 of 123

lenovo is cutting in to microsofts reasons to upgrade to windows 7.  Outlook 2002 or 2003 doesn't retain password in Vista or 7 but does work real good running on XP as a guest in both Vista 64 and 7 RC 7100 Ultimate. although Lenovo chose to disable my vt that i payed for in the price of p8700 its cheaper to buy VMWare than it is to send back the laptop and take a restocking fee hit. Lenovo if your following this thread. Shame on you for your misleading advertisement.you won the first round by taking my money and disabling features at the same time. For me to purchase another lenovo product down the road.(shame on me) its really easy for lenovo to lose sight of who got them in the position there in today. without people buying their products they will fade away. why would i want to buy office 2007 to comply with Microsofts sales tactics when i have a 700 dollar back in 2002 ver of Office XP PRO that functions perfectly fine except for the password issue. Useing unity in VMWare you can cut and paste from XP PRO TO Windows 7 on the same screen.
randomohok
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,420
Message 65 of 123

hp forums - vt

It seems that Hp released a firmware updated that allowed vt to be enabled on their laptops, that was in 2007.

The admin/mod on that forums stated that due to the fact that vt was only needed by a select few, that it was not a desirable feature. But with the upcomming windows 7 it seems that vt will be vital to all users who plan on upgrading. It would be smart for Lenovo to jump on this now and released an updated bios and allow users to disable/enable vt on laptops that support this feature. 

The argument that the Ideapad line is for consumers that will not need the vt feature is rubbish. With Windows 7 it will be needed. 

Perro123
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,803
Message 66 of 123

It is unfortunate to hear lenovo not supporting VT, however, if any of you would like to run VT on an ideapad, try U110. VT works without changing any settings on this laptopSmiley Happy
Perro123
Blue Screen Again
Views: 2,366
Message 67 of 123

not all ideapads are affected I believe. U110 runs xp mode with no problems!
kkdeep
Punch Card
Views: 1,797
Message 68 of 123

Oh man this is ridiculous. I was about to order an ideapad but this is a dealbreaker. I will look into HP and Dell now.
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,043
Message 69 of 123

1) Are you sure, microsoft requires Hardware Virtualization Mode to be on and active?

2) Without virtualization hardware support you will be placing a lot of stress to your processor due to the fact your machine with be running virtualization, virtually. Funny as it may sound, if a VMWare orParallel works with virtualization software support it will hinder your performance greatly and not distribute workload appropriately to various components. Hardware mode will distribute workload appropriately andalthough not as fast as the host, faster than a machine that is run by software.

3) Which model the Core 2 Duo ULV or the Core 2 Duo?

My only issue with that model is the size and the limited power of the actual notebook. For virtualization to work well you need a minimum of 4gigs of ram (for me right off the back I need atleats 1 gig for each ebvironment and 4 gigs for the host). this model handles up to 4 Gigs and its marketed to the thin and light crowd. I was looking for something bigger than my current 14.1 and enough hardware power to handle my development suites as well as environment testing. I am certain that most people on this post are interested in the Y550 because of its great features. For me its the 15.6" screen, nice looking shell, dedicated 512mb Video Memory, Max memory size of 8Gig, 500gb Hd and the pentium core 2 duo P8600 2.4Ghz Processor with a bus speed of 1066Ghz, backlight keys, multi gesture mouse pad and just a gourgeous machine for a price of roughly $1300.00 give or take a few. Due to its limitation and lack of support VT for the installed components I ended up purchasing a machine atleast $800.00 more.

cntse2008
SCSI Port
Views: 2,003
Message 70 of 123

Perro123's comment makes Mark's declaration about the Ideapad line all the more confusing.  Which is it?  Is it the entire Ideapad line, or just a select few models?  And if it is just a few models that get this feature, why?  I really don't want to give up on Lenovo, they make quality machines, but If they don't fix this by the time Windows 7 is released I bet they'll see a lot of drop off in their "consumer" line.  Can't be all bad though they started as a corporate business machine powerhouse, what's losing a couple hundred or thousand "consumers."

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors