Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cntse2008
SCSI Port
Views: 1,834
Message 71 of 123

Re: NO XP Mode for Lenovo Notebooks!!!

Locked on for the U110, but Locked off for the rest of the Ideapads?  Again, I ask, why? 

Probably even more important, where is this stated anywhere in any documentation or literature for these notebooks.  Not just "no mention of VT", but "Explicit description of the capability, in the BIOS, to enable VT" or lack thereof.

This gets more disappointing everyday...

christopherlang
802.11n
Views: 2,012
Message 72 of 123

Re: Y550 No Intel VT Support?

Hi, if you don't mind what machine did you endup buying? I plan to sell my Ideapad asap and I am looking for a machine with about the same specs and with VT.
malimal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,714
Message 73 of 123

i was able to make a case to customer service to return my y650 because of this issue for a full refund. I argued that was a fault on their part since the feature is avaialbe but disabled with no way to enable it even in the bios.
Message Edited by malimal on 08-10-2009 06:17 AM
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,700
Message 74 of 123

That is awesome, so far there are 3 posting that have returned or avoided purchasing due to the issue going non addressed by Lenovo, awesome. Hopefully they will take into consideration and make this available. Awesome, 
thnkwhatyouthnk
Punch Card
Views: 1,695
Message 75 of 123

Looks like Sony was doing the same thing to their laptops, and user backlash has caused them to take a second look at it.

http://gizmodo.com/5333727/sony-laptops-have-hardware-virtualization-disabled-cant-run-windows-7s-xp...

randomohok
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,942
Message 76 of 123

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/10/sony-laptops-cant-use-windows-7s-xp-mode-due-to-disabled-hardw/

http://gizmodo.com/5333727/sony-laptops-have-hardware-virtualization-disabled-cant-run-windows-7s-xp...

Bad press for Sony on this same issue. Hurry up Lenovo and fix this problem. 

Message Edited by randomohok on 08-10-2009 07:40 AM
imanym
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,930
Message 77 of 123

You know, I just do not get this. Sony claims a security issue. However, the leading computer maker HP has this feature enabled on a large amount of there models already. I know there have been some mention of some machines that do not have this feature enabled, but for the most part they have models that are selectable. Even Macs have this feature available in all of its machines. Not sure why Sony is using the security ploy? Well, any case, Lenovo are you listening?

Nice links randomohok,

SWWWEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT 

randomohok
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,667
Message 78 of 123

It seems like the strategy here for Sony and Lenovo is to charge you extra for the use of a standard feature of a modern processor.

They're creating a teired system, forcing you to buy the more expensive models for a basic, built-in feature. This is wrong. And now Sony is getting exposed for it, hopefully Lenovo will be exposed too. I'll be writing e-mails to all the tech blogs i know. I encourage others to do the same.

szatkoff
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,607
Message 79 of 123

I hope Mark_Lenovo and others from Lenovo are paying attention to this thread. We need to continue to hammer tech support about this. I Really like my Y550, except for the lack of VT Support and this crappy touch pad.
james550
Punch Card
Views: 1,615
Message 80 of 123

Part of why I bought the Y650 was for the capabilities of the hardware.  I do not recall seeing anything that stated anything for or against the built-in VT capabilities during my pre-purchase researching.  I did believe that it was implied that the hardware would work as it was created and that I would NOT have to regret the purchase based off of such a thing being disabled or inaccessible.  Might be rethinking my regret if they don't offer a BIOS update to resolve this.  I already cannot boot from my esata port so if this doesn't go my way either then I'm really not going to be happy with my choice of notebook.
Message Edited by james550 on 08-10-2009 02:26 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors