English Community

Lenovo NotebooksLenovo P, Y and Z series Notebooks Knowledge Base

Y550 fails Digital Cable Advisor Test -- IdeaPad

<h2>Question</h2> <p>I have the Y550 IdeaPad laptop that is specifically described as a home theater system. &nbsp;I have upgraded it with Windows 7, and also made disk and memory upgrades.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>I want to use it as a MS Media Center replacement for my Cox DVR cable box. &nbsp;Why does the Y550 fail the MS media cable advisor test? &nbsp;</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>The message:<strong> "your graphics card or driver doesn't support content protection"</strong> appears. &nbsp;This failure happens &nbsp;for the current the NVidia&nbsp;GeForce GT 240M&nbsp;Lenovo driver (186.91)&nbsp;and for the newest NVidia driver (310.90).</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>This system is under an extended maintenance contract -- so what do I have to do to make it work in my home theater? &nbsp;I plan to use a Cox supplied m-card and a Silicon Dust&nbsp;HDHomeRun PRIME.</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <h2>Answer</h2> <p>The Digital Cable Advisor&nbsp;"measures system parameters such as CPU speed, RAM, graphics card support for hardware acceleration, and digital connection capabilities. If the PC meets the minimum requirements, the tool enables digital cable functionality on the PC. Then, users can add a digital cable tuner with a CableCARD&trade;. With a digital cable subscription from a TV service provider, users can access cable pay-TV, including premium content. "</p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>- source: <a href="http://experts.windows.com/w/experts_wiki/75.aspx" target="_blank">Microsoft</a></p> <p>&nbsp;</p> <p>Unplug the VGA port and plug in an HDMI cable to the TV monitor.&nbsp;<span style="font-size: 14.04px; line-height: 17.55px;">The system should then pass the Digital Cable Advisor Test.&nbsp;</span></p>

Was this information helpful?

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop