Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Victorghe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,777
Message 1 of 5

Y550 random freezes w/ black screen upon restart

I have only had my Y550 for about two weeks.  Expecting the Win7 upgrade somewhat patiently (despite horrible lack of communication on Lenovo's part), I did not install nor change Vista 64 Home Edition much.  I have uninstalled Lenovo's veriface, power management, idea center, idea notes, ID vault.  I have also disabled Vista restore and drive indexing.  I have also connected the laptop to an a/v receiver and TV.  This worked dandy for the two weeks or so, then while playing a game (which I had played for hours on end previous) the laptop just froze.  Nothing worked to turn it off other than holding down the power button.  When rebooting, all I got was a black screen, but the lights and fans indicated to me the laptop was starting up.  This would happen intermittently, with some occasions letting me get into Vista until it would randomly freeze at a later time.  This also happened booting from OneKey, so my hoping that it might be Vista causing problems was diminished.

Nevertheless, I have since successfully used OneKey after a missed night of sleep to completely reinstall Vista.  Everything seemed to be working fine for the first day.  After Vista downloaded and installed several upgrades, I did the same basic uninstalling housecleaning, and turned off system restore and indexing.  Mind you, I did not install much in the way of programs, save for maybe Flash? Nor did I manually update any device drivers.  A day later, and the problem has restarted exactly as before.  In the few minutes between crashes (which are much more frequent) I have installed temperature monitors for the hard drive, processors, and nvidia GPU.  None pass the lower 40s Celsius.

Gurus, fellow sufferers, or even Mark, please advise.  I want an honest opinion whether it is Vista causing this and in turn to just wait for my Win7 to get here.  I have an inkling that if I call tech support they will do nothing but tell me to have it sent in for repairs.  After waiting a WHOLE month for delivery of my laptop, and Win7 being delayed over two weeks with no communication, having a brand new laptop repaired and going through the loops to get that done sounds unappealing at best.

Victorghe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,775
Message 2 of 5

Re: Y550 random freezes w/ black screen upon restart

Oh and I forgot to mention what compelled me to even check HD temps.  As soon as the laptop freezes within Vista, the fan on the left side exhaust turns on and remains on, but heat failure is obviously not the fault.  Last freeze the temp was 38 Celsius.  I have also tried running the laptop on battery alone, and on AC power alone, and in combination with no luck.

vps
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,760
Message 3 of 5

Have you contact support service? I guess it might be from hardware.

I thought the problem was from the drivers or Windows update but you mentioned that you installed newest drivers already.

Victorghe
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,747
Message 4 of 5

Yep just called support, and they told me to send it in to the depot.  Opting for a replacement, I am on hold with the sales dept. with a case number.  Let's see how this shakes out.

vps
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,700
Message 5 of 5

As soon as you get it back or any information

Please inform us here!

Tnx in advance!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors