Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjo8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,646
Message 1 of 9

Y550P Clean Install?

My BSOD (it was always BCCode: 7F) seemed to have been caused by ZoneAlarm as posted by aagresta (THANKS!!!).

I would like to delete all the partitions and do a clean install. Is there any software installed by Lenovo worth keeping and so I shouldn't delete all the partitions? Does deleting the partitions void the warranty?

This is my first Lenovo laptop and I'm used to Dell giving me a copy of the OS CD and a CD or more for the miscellaneous programs they originally equipped the computer with. I ordered the Lenovo Recovery DVD but it only seems to have Windows 7. Aside from downloading the drivers from the Lenovo webpage what else should I know or do?

Thanks!

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 4,606
Message 2 of 9

Re: Y550P Clean Install?

i suggest you to delete only c and d volumes, don't make any changes on eisa or boot volume.

and do you know after making changes on volume, you can't use okr ( novo ) button.

also, you may need drivers, if you download them after installation from web, that's ok. ( if you have trouble with drivers or applications, search for the forum, there're solutions )

http://www.krasotaiskusstva.com
Highlighted
kashing92
Serial Port
Views: 4,599
Message 3 of 9

Yeah how do we clean install?

I Absolutely Detest McAfee and the rest of the things. Media Show looks nice, sure, and ok the DVD burner could have use. But honestly, McAfee, no offense, but your program has been kinda messing up my brand-new-2-week-old-perpetually-and-constantly-bluescreening Y550P... always popping up things saying (Protection Active), next moment saying (Protection Not Available), next moment (Activate Now) without option to X or close, ZZzz.

Sucks not to have Win7 CD or OS CD. How did you get a recovery disc, must I pay for it?

I'm getting mine fixed at a Lenovo support center in Malaysia, hopefully they'll be able to do the fresh install after fixing the hardware problems.

Do you think it is possible to alter the Factory Image in OneKey? Because it wud really suck since my image contains the McAfee and everything, and trial MS Office, and having to go back there if I've got a fresh install Smiley Sad

I know you can backup something else and go back to that but its not the same as the base image.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 4,596
Message 4 of 9

you can ask lenovo support line for dvds but i think they'd say you to burn your system backup using one key recover.

run one key recover 7.0 > create recovery disks > follow the instructions.

( for how to informations, click "?" on the top side of one key recover application )

and you can choose the method ( factory settings or current settings )

twiztid
Serial Port
Views: 4,588
Message 5 of 9

Okay despite what was said in this post here is what you CAN and SHOULD do for a clean install:

You can delete all 4 paritions. The EISA parition is a TOTAL waste of space and is used for nothing. The boot volume is used by windows 7 and you can delete it before doing a clean install because windows will just recreate it during install. The D parition is used for drivers and for OKR (which is useless). The  C drive hosts the Lenovo windows paritiono answering your question you can delete all 4 before a clean install.

Software wise nothing is useful except for the SlideNav software and the Facial recognition software for login which are just neat.

Hope this helps!

sjo8
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,537
Message 6 of 9

@kashing92 wrote:

Sucks not to have Win7 CD or OS CD. How did you get a recovery disc, must I pay for it?

I called the US number on this list and asked for a recovery disk: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-68585

The disk I received is titled Lenovo Product Recovery DVD but on the right side of the label it just says Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. It doesn't include the drivers etc. I will have to download those on the Y550 drivers and downloads page.

kashing92
Serial Port
Views: 4,507
Message 7 of 9

Ok, I just sent it for repair at a shop which does Lenovo servicing, apparently it's affliliated with Lenovo + HP/Samsung etc. The guy said he'd do "some checks" and LMAO it BSODed right in front of him. Might change the motherboard or something hopefully mine's fixed in a few days.

Well, did you Pay for the Windows 7 OS Recovery CD? Do you think that when I go collect my laptop I could get one from the Service Center? That would be useful indeed. Or some sort of recovery option.

And just to clarify, did one of you mean that you can Erase or Overwrite the OneKey Factory Image? I can replace the Factory Image with a brand new one, say a fresh install of Windows 7? Thanks.

kashing92
Serial Port
Views: 4,411
Message 8 of 9

Hey there, is anyone experienced with Lenovo OneKey and the factory backup settings/function.

Sorry, but please help me cos I'm a little confused.

I asked the Service Center employee (who is repairing my Y550P) if he could do a clean install of Windows 7 64-bit for me (cos I didn't want the useless antivirus and some other stuff).

However, in doing that, would the Factory image be deleted? Of course it's ok if I've lost the factory image since it's the one that causes trouble anyway. But, by reinstalling Windows 7, does that mean I cannot use OneKey at all after? Can  I still install OneKey and set the factory image backup myself (a new one)? Or have I lost it altogether?

Or does this depend on whether the technician deleted partitions upon reinstall?

Thanks.

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Views: 4,396
Message 9 of 9

@ kashing92

if he deleted the hidden partition or made any changes on your volumes, it's normal behavior that one key recover stops working.

check your disk management ( right click on my computer > manage > disk management ) if there's any hidden or eisa partition about 14.75 gb.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors